Favourite Derby County managers

Since watching Derby from 1979, best managers. 

Arthur Cox, loved this man, for giving me something to cheer and getting Derby back in the big time, and signing players like Shilton, Wright, Saunders Goddard, Micklewhite, G Williams, Goddard and the Tin Man, great great days. 

Jim Smith, some excellent football, also great signings like Stimac, Biano, Eranio, West, Wanchope, Poom, Daily and Van Der Laan. 

Nigel Clough for getting us competitive again and signing some great players for Mac to work with, and spending very little cash on players like Barks, Martin, Russell, Keogh, Bryson and Hulse. 

Warne for getting us back in the championship after nearly going out of business 2 seasons before. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

Grew up with the Bald Eagle and fell in love with Derby and football.

Clough found some incredible gems across the border, and was the first manager during the days I could start going with my mates, some great memories.

Stevie Mac in charge during a time I went home and away religiously playing some of the best football I've seen during my 30+ years watching the rams, oh what could've been! 

Favourites in my time of supporting from 85 - 

Jim Smith - Lovely bloke and such wonderful competitive football played even at the highest level. 

Arthur Cox - My first experience of a Derby manager and what a journey we went on. Some amazing players and such great memories from being a young lad. 

Steve Mac (mark 1) - After some rebuilding by Nigel he took it to a different level and for the first time in a long time we started looking up and playing some lovely stuff. 

George Burley - We played some great stuff under George and he found some real gems. What could have been if he’d have had some money to spend, and he could have kept his eyes on the football prize rather than other prizes in close proximity. 

Paul Warne - For the absolute joy of an automatic promotion for the first time in many a years and for being a great bloke. Currently our manager and hoping he can show the world what he can do in the championship when backed by a big club and more financial clout, although at a sensible level. 

Started in '75, so missed the Cloughie era in a live sense (And the best bits of the Mackey reign, other than the Carlisle game!).
Also missed a huge chunk of the '80's and early '90's, due to be a skint dad to a new/young family, so that wipes out pretty much the whole King Arthur period.

So going on what I've witnessed, as opposed to what I know/have read/seen on video, it has to be...

Jim Smith
Stevie McC v1.0
Burley
David Lowe (😉)
The Warnemeister (and rising!)

Edited by Mucker1884

1. Jim Smith. Some of those matches ... wow! A period of time where a draw was 'a good point' for any visiting team to pps.

2. Cox My first games were in this era, the matches that established me as a lifelong ram.

3. N Clough. I felt we had regained our soul, an identity, plus we did very well when we played Leeds and Notts.

Honourables: SMc, George Burley, Warne

Being successful doesn't necessarily get in my list, it's just personal favs. Wee Billy for example, I enjoyed the success of the Play Off semi and the Wembley final, but I struggled to warm to him. I was funnily enough more fond of our owners the LoG at the time and attribute the identity and love of the period to them. I've warmed to Warne, so he is an honourable mention but still its DCs place, I'm team Clowes, in a similar fashion.