UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

58 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

No.

It's hackneyed because it's been used a gazillion times in the 70s and 80s. The sex of the commentator is irrelevant.

I'd have rolled my eyes if a male had said it, just like I did when ex-Rams TV commentator Jack Woodward also said, 'Put a shift in' yesterday.

He would say it in literally every Derby game, often multiple times.

I've heard plenty of female commentators on plenty of sports, and she is, by some way, the worst, IMHO. 

In fact, I've not heard another who I dislike.

I getcha Bob, she's no Michael Owen 😋

And FWIW, my comment wasn't trying to imply that you're sexist either, though I do think in general terms, some of the ladies are being held to higher standards than their male counterparts have been, historically speaking at least. For my part, my brain seems to tune out the commentators in most games, so perhaps I'm lucky in that regard.

48 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

VAR is making football for me less and less attractive to watch 👎

Initially I thought the introduction of tech to assist in adjudicating some of the tougher calls, was an idea that made absolutely perfect sense. Sadly, the human interaction remains the single point of failure and having more goals reviewed than not is beginning to ruin the game. It's now got to the point that were the choice, better adjudicators AND VAR, or no VAR at all, I'd very much be for the latter option.

Edited by Comrade 86

3 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Initially I thought the introduction of tech to assist in adjudicating some of the tougher calls, was an idea that made absolutely perfect scale. Sadly, the human interaction remains the single point of failure and having more goals reviewed than not is beginning to ruin the game. It's not got to the point that were the choice, better adjudicators AND VAR, or no VAR at all, I'd very much be for the latter option.

Agreed 86

I remember Jeff Stelling screaming on a Saturday afternoon when he saw in his mind an injustice in the game, "we have the technology" why isn't it being used.

Tennis, Both Rugby codes use it, Cricket and it all works fine, But in football there appears to be a microscopic examination after a goal is scored by VAR, Those in power ie the EPL, FIFA, UEFA and ratified by IFAB have taken it to the extreme...imo, I'm not proportioning any blame on the officials...Christ it's a hard enough game to officiate without all the added pressure of making a decision that could have negative consequences against the aggrieved team.

England's game last night I'd be in my local watching it with like minded folk...but I stayed home and watched it, No excitement when Bellingham scored...just a 👍

8 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

He’s been miles off it this season apparently, and he’s rarely looked good against the English teams in Europe. 

And of all the things to complain about last night, Stones and Guehi aren’t one of them.

Much to the annoyance of @SrgI always ask the people calling for Tomori to be in the squad how many times they've watched him play this season, not had a single answer.

Wonder how many of them even know that he has only played 11 games in the last 6 months?

10 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

It does annoy me that Tomori doesn't get a look-in. 100+ Serie A games. Get on a plane, Gareth.

If it weren't for the fact that he played for Derby would you still be clamouring for his inclusion?

What qualities has he shown this season to make you think he is worthy of an England place?

What about James Tarkowski and Michael Keane, they've both played 100+ Premier League games.

3 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

A lot of 🔔 ends feigning injury in this France Austria game.  Although to be fair the one earlier where I was slating Griezmanna he did turn out to have a massive cut on his head 😆

It was obvious from the camera side on view that Mbappe had broken his nose. 

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It was obvious from the camera side on view that Mbappe had broken his nose. 

100%. I posted just before that incident and then realised it was gonna look a bit silly, but didn't feel like going back to clarify that I wasn't talking about Mbappe's nose being flattened. It's been both sides on multiple occasions though acting like they've been shot only to get up and carry on once they've had a roll around