John O'Hare - goalkeeper?!

GuiseleyRam

I don't remember that, but I do remember Paul Williams keeping goal against Bristol City after our goalkeeper got sent off, Steve Sutton I think. He let a fair few goals in though! 

Also remember Robbie Savage in goal after Bywater went off injured and Deeney got sent off. 

Best outfield goalkeeper performance I remember was Man City against Derby when Niall Quinn took goal and saved a Dean Saunders penalty back in 1991. Quinn scored earlier in that match too. Derby got relegated that day. 

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, SecretDave said:

I don't remember that, but I do remember Paul Williams keeping goal against Bristol City after our goalkeeper got sent off, Steve Sutton I think. He let a fair few goals in though! 

Also remember Robbie Savage in goal after Bywater went off injured and Deeney got sent off. 

Best outfield goalkeeper performance I remember was Man City against Derby when Niall Quinn took goal and saved a Dean Saunders penalty back in 1991. Quinn scored earlier in that match too. Derby got relegated that day. 

And I guess we can close the thread of 'best outfield performance by a goalkeeper against Derby' with one word. Pooooom!

Edited by BaaLocks

17 minutes ago, GuiseleyRam said:

Does anyone remember a game where John O'Hare went in goal for Derby at the Baseball Ground? Apparently it was for 20 minutes or so at the end of a game (and he didn't concede!).

Nope might need one of the even older ones than me. I only started watching in 1970 . 

6 minutes ago, SecretDave said:

I was behind that goal at Maine Road that day. Great save as I recall. We were terrible even against 10 

7 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Nope might need one of the even older ones than me. I only started watching in 1970 . 

I can go back to 1966-67 and unless I left 20 mins early from a game then I don't remember it, Then again...I never left early at all 👍

9 hours ago, SecretDave said:

I remember that all too well. I took this Leeds girl I was seeing to the game, when Sutton rugby tacked their player on the line there was a hushed silence on the pop side as the ref reached for his pocket. Then the crowd groaned as the red came out, all apart the the girl I was with who let out a loud and sustained laugh, much to my chagrin.

2 hours ago, secretsquirrel said:

My first game 

That would have been 67 -68 season. The season clough took over and the game before the semis when Leeds beat us over 2 legs. We were not very competitive that year finished low in div 2.

Posted (edited)
On 18/05/2024 at 12:58, GuiseleyRam said:

Does anyone remember a game where John O'Hare went in goal for Derby at the Baseball Ground? Apparently it was for 20 minutes or so at the end of a game (and he didn't concede!).

The game was on April 6th 1968 at home to Bristol City which we won 3-1. Colin Boulton went off in the second half for six minutes for treatment to a wrist injury and O'Hare went in goal until Boulton returned. The Bristol goal was scored in the 83rd minute at the Normanton End when Boulton was back on the field.

Edited by Spender

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Spender said:

The game was on April 6th 1968 at home to Bristol City which we won 3-1. Colin Boulton went off in the second half for six minutes for treatment to a wrist injury and O'Hare went in goal until Boulton returned. The Bristol goal was scored in the 83rd minute at the Normanton End when Boulton was back on the field.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this. I have found the Derby Evening Telegraph report from the Monday after the game and it does state that John O'Hare 'deputised admirably' for Colin Boulton while he was off the pitch for treatment.

Edited by GuiseleyRam
Quoted properly

• 3 weeks later...