Pre season

I feel this could be a long season for some if losing to Chesterfield in a pre-season friendly gets you angry/mad/perturbed/ or even slightly miffed because we are - believe it or not - going to lose games in the league. We might even - god forbid - lose our first game to Blackburn; a game I expect we will be big underdogs for. 

Obviously, the majority of Derby fans are rational souls and will realise tonight's game means absolutely nothing. We may get promoted, we may get relegated - none of it will hinge on this match. Similarly, there is no way to predict whether we'll get promoted or relegated based on this result or performance.

What is funny/alarming is that there are some reactions which recognise that tonight means nothing but if we don't start well it will go badly for Warne.  Maybe. But what is confusing is that most fans (particularly the aforementioned rational ones) seem to recognise that this season could be a bit of a struggle. Therefore you'd think people would also recognise that we won't win every match. I'd hoped that this realisation might forestall some of the kneejerk and extreme reactions we will get after any defeat, and calmer heads would prevail. I'm not convinced this will be the case, alas. (On this, I'm not necessarily suggesting that the reaction to this defeat has been extreme, with some possible exceptions, however extrapolating some of the comments that have been made about this to what is likely after a league defeat and it doesn't necessarily fill me with hope). 

Edited by LazloW

4 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Why anyone cares about the results of these games I'll never know 😂

Don't care about the result. Don't think most do. Care more about how the team is shaping up with 2 weeks to go and performances. Not sure why that's a bad thing to state. Warne in his interview certainly cares. He knows we need to be ready 1st game at Blackburn 

36 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It isn't, but it will be cited as an early warning sign if the first few performances of the season are not up to standard. Rightly or wrongly, it will be dredged up.

I can’t remember who we played in pre season last year, win or lose.

Always feel like only the last friendly is ever actually even remotely like a league game. As training sessions become more normal, lineups more like a league XI and players sharpness is back.

2 minutes ago, Vyrdasm said:

Don't care about the result. Don't think most do. Care more about how the team is shaping up with 2 weeks to go and performances. Not sure why that's a bad thing to state. Warne in his interview certainly cares. He knows we need to be ready 1st game at Blackburn 

That’s when I will make my judgement on where we are, not after a friendly. 

Leyton Orient 6-1 Newcastle United

Back in 2009, League One side Leyton Orient hammered newly-relegated Newcastle Utd ...................then

Season2009–10

Champions Newcastle United
1st Championship title

just saying.......

9 minutes ago, Srg said:

I doubt that. He’s not come to sit on a bench. 

We won't be starting Osborn, Adams, Ozoh and Goudmijn. And that's before we potentially add another to the CM area. Given Warne appears to be recruiting primarily for 3421, only 2 of those CMs will be starting most matches.

3 minutes ago, ScamRam said:

Leyton Orient 6-1 Newcastle United

Back in 2009, League One side Leyton Orient hammered newly-relegated Newcastle Utd ...................then

Season2009–10

Champions Newcastle United
1st Championship title

just saying.......

Thanks for saying….

I'm in the "boo boys" camp but even I can't get angry about tonight. It really is only a friendly. Time to experiment with players and formations. 

Can't we go back to the days without social media and just wait for the paper or radio to report back on the score. Nobody cared 15-20 years ago about friendlies but now there's massive emotion. Over the top nonsense.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We won't be starting Osborn, Adams, Ozoh and Goudmijn. And that's before we potentially add another to the CM area. Given Warne appears to be recruiting primarily for 3421, only 2 of those CMs will be starting most matches.

Of course he won’t be starting 4 CMs, but Osborn also covers wing back and Ozoh is a loan player. I think the way we set up up front will be fluid depending on games, and I imagine whether it’s a back 3 or 4 will be the same. 

4 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Are they allowed to care about the performance?

Personally my view of this game is unaffected by the scoreline

Of course, anybody is allowed to care about anything they want to. Whether they should care and, if so, how much they should care are different questions. 

It's quite disgusting how the euphoria of us getting promoted a matter of months ago has now been dismantled by certain posters after one pre season friendly.

It's almost as though certain folks have their own personal agenda against people attached to the club. Nah, can't be right. 

Just now, LazloW said:

Of course, anybody is allowed to care about anything they want to. Whether they should care and, if so, how much they should care are different questions. 

Surely that’s up to them and no one else

Just now, Srg said:

Of course he won’t be starting 4 CMs, but Osborn also covers wing back and Ozoh is a loan player. I think the way we set up up front will be fluid depending on games, and I imagine whether it’s a back 3 or 4 will be the same. 

It's already been stated that Osborn was signed to play CM and cover LWB. We have Elder already for the LWB position, and we're trying to sign another to compete for that role.