Admin 12345

Day

Time for @Boycie to find himself some new passwords.

Common and easily guessed passwords like 'admin' or '12345' are being banned in the UK as part of world-first laws to protect against cyber attacks.

As well as default passwords, if a user suggests a common password they will be prompted to change it on creation of a new account.

https://news.sky.com/story/admin-and-12345-banned-from-being-used-as-passwords-in-uk-crackdown-on-cyber-attacks-13125565

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 09.45.27.png

I use Lastpass, it stores all of mine safely, insets them automatically into the correct website and alerts you if there have been any data breaches.

*I also have a note book I write them all down in as well, if for some reason I lost access to my PC or Lastpass account I've got a hard copy backup somewhere. 

On one of my private pension sites we were told that there is a new format for signing in, The password had to have 8+ letters with uppercase, a number and a special character, Then a remember ie where you were born, Mothers maiden name, 1st car and the like, And  finally your account number...it was a bloody pain.

1 month later after complaints by users, They moved to your account number and password 👍  

4 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I use Lastpass, it stores all of mine safely, insets them automatically into the correct website and alerts you if there have been any data breaches.

*I also have a note book I write them all down in as well, if for some reason I lost access to my PC or Lastpass account I've got a hard copy backup somewhere. 

Yeah there is no real excuse now for forgetting passwords.

Both Google and Apple have inbuilt password storage, will even suggest passwords, then you have 3rd party apps like Lastpass as well.

You have one password to remember, just one. Which my wife will still struggle with, but won't go there.

Add in 2FA, no reason why in this day and age you can give yourself the best protection from hacking.

2 minutes ago, Day said:

Yeah there is no real excuse now for forgetting passwords.

Both Google and Apple have inbuilt password storage, will even suggest passwords, then you have 3rd party apps like Lastpass as well.

You have one password to remember, just one. Which my wife will still struggle with, but won't go there.

Add in 2FA, no reason why in this day and age you can give yourself the best protection from hacking.

Oh yeah I agree.

I still like to have a hard copy of all of my passwords though, since I started using Lastpass all of mine are now 10-12 characters long made up of random numbers, letters, symbols etc I've got literally zero chance of remembering any of them!

If Lastpass or Google/Apple etc ever got hacked I could be potentially locked out of all of my accounts online, its piece of mind scribbling them all down once in a notebook.

2FA is also essential in this day and age imho.  It is literally the only reason as to why I have a phone 😛 

2 hours ago, Day said:

Time for @Boycie to find himself some new passwords.

Common and easily guessed passwords like 'admin' or '12345' are being banned in the UK as part of world-first laws to protect against cyber attacks.

As well as default passwords, if a user suggests a common password they will be prompted to change it on creation of a new account.

https://news.sky.com/story/admin-and-12345-banned-from-being-used-as-passwords-in-uk-crackdown-on-cyber-attacks-13125565

Screenshot 2024-04-29 at 09.45.27.png

Feck