Retained List

2 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Les Green was 5'8"

I think this Thompson lad is taller than both Les Green and Colin Boulton. But keepers were shorter in those days. To me he looks similar in stature to Lee Camp who was a good championship level keeper

Paul Warne has a great record of making a financial profit as a Championship manager. We don’t look swamped with midfield players but you don’t think Fozzy will go back to being a midfield player to save cash  do you ?

2 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Sure but in todays game anything less than 6ft 2 is going to be easily exposed .

Not sure that’s true. Probably was a decade ago. It’s gone down a little bit with the increased amount of teams that play out from the back. Being great with your feet is important, and invariably, more of those keepers are a little shorter. Not that you’d want much shorter, like. 

Just now, jimtastic56 said:

Paul Warne has a great record of making a financial profit as a Championship manager. We don’t look swamped with midfield players but you don’t think Fozzy will go back to being a midfield player to save cash  do you ?

Would'nt surprise me if he put Rooney there as a DM supporting Adams and Tomo .

Just now, jimtastic56 said:

He was never a central midfielder, also think his legs will only allow him to play centre back or the odd game at LB/LWB. I’d say he’ll be very much a cup player and come on late in games to sure things up. I think it wouldn’t look the best if Fozzy was starting central midfield in the championship 😂

1 minute ago, Magicman said:

You genuinely think that will be our starting midfield next season?

1 minute ago, Magicman said:

Based on what we have signed up & PW interest in Adams - I hope we add another Bryson like midfielder still. 

Pretty pointless basing it on what we have signed up. Everyone knows we need a lot of players, including 2 or 3 central midfielders. 

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Pretty pointless basing it on what we have signed up. Everyone knows we need a lot of players, including 2 or 3 central midfielders. 

Doubt we will get 3 but Adams and another is my assumption given Robinson is going to emerge too. 

2 hours ago, Magicman said:

Sure but in todays game anything less than 6ft 2 is going to be easily exposed .

Today's keepers would have been in tears after the first corner when they picked themselves up from the back of the net. They weren't protected like todays keepers are. They had to look after themselves back in the 60's and 70's. Reggie Matthews knocking Alex Dawson spark out one Wednesday night being a case in point. Get your retaliation in first.

3 hours ago, Magicman said:

I don't get this. Physical build/strength certainly are important. However, assuming it's not one of Snow White's mates in goal a few inches in height shouldn't make any difference. Standing still the keeper's hands surely reach higher than even Peter Crouch's head. Assuming the two can jump to the same height then the keeper should be able to reach higher than the striker.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

I don't get this. Physical build/strength certainly are important. However, assuming it's not one of Snow White's mates in goal a few inches in height shouldn't make any difference. Standing still the keeper's hands surely reach higher than even Peter Crouch's head. Assuming the two can jump to the same height then the keeper should be able to reach higher than the striker.

You should have been training kelle roos when that little baldy mc Ginn jumped 6" higher than him.....which means mcginn jumped 6".....🙄

31 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

You should have been training kelle roos when that little baldy mc Ginn jumped 6" higher than him.....which means mcginn jumped 6".....🙄

He stooped to head a ball 4 feet off the ground.

I would add a goal that even McGinn thought should have been disallowed 

5 hours ago, Magicman said:

I dont necessarily think Warne will but I've long argued that Rooney would make a good DCM. Clearly comfortable on the ball, decent range of passing, little one paced but good in air & happy to move forward with the ball in central areas.

The only other position I'd consider him would be RCB but think we've got better even in current squad.

Suprised to see Smityh and Hourihane leave when you consider Bird has also gone.

That leaves us with Thompson and ... and... erm anyone? I guess this might mean Adams is coming back, but even with that leaves us short. Hope we sign at least 2 central midfielders if not 3

13 hours ago, Srg said:

I actually wouldn’t be against that, as an experiment at least.

Rooney played DM away at Mansfield and his presence was Thorne and Bielik like.

8 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I dont necessarily think Warne will but I've long argued that Rooney would make a good DCM. Clearly comfortable on the ball, decent range of passing, little one paced but good in air & happy to move forward with the ball in central areas.

The only other position I'd consider him would be RCB but think we've got better even in current squad.

Apologies if I’m double posting but yeah, I agree. I’ve just mentioned in my previous post that he played there last season against Mansfield under Rosenior and looked Thorne/Bielik like.

I wonder if he’s not energetic enough for Warne though.