Joe Wildsmith

Bob Gnarly

Hopefully, we'll go up and persuade him to stay. I'd mainly be annoyed that another decent player with resale value has walked away for nothing. A Prem team can offer him the big bucks though. What's he gonna be on? £5k p/w?

Even as a keeper, you get a short career in football. Can't blame him for wanting to earn as much as he can.

1 hour ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Hopefully, we'll go up and persuade him to stay. I'd mainly be annoyed that another decent player with resale value has walked away for nothing. A Prem team can offer him the big bucks though. What's he gonna be on? £5k p/w?

Even as a keeper, you get a short career in football. Can't blame him for wanting to earn as much as he can.

Yeah, if he's that way inclined he may be tempted to quadruple his money and sit on the bench (or worse) for a Prem team. He may have seen Scott Carson having the time of his life and wants a piece!

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

2 hours ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

I'd mainly be annoyed that another decent player with resale value has walked away for nothing

What are the club to do if the player doesn’t want to sign a contract extension?

It’ll be nice if he stays as he’s proven his ability since he’s been here and hopefully he appreciates the opportunity and feels some form of affinity with the club. 

If he gets a chance to play in the Premier League though I couldn’t blame him if he took it.

I would guess a few clubs are after him in the Prem in order to fill the homegrown player quota which was why Man City have had Carson the past few years. Unless he is totally driven by the cash I would find it weird to see him just rot on some teams bench and get the odd cup start when he's finally found some consistency of playing week in, week out for us. He doesn't seem like the type to want to just sit around so hopefully he re-signs with us.

He reminds me a bit of Roos. Both are awesome shot-stoppers but unfortunately, they have flaws that will block their path to the top. 

I don't think Wildsmith's downfall is making mistakes, as he rarely does them. I think it's their grave manner and not learning from them. 

I'd be sad to see him go, but he is replaceable as is any of our players.

21 hours ago, DiggerB said:

What are the club to do if the player doesn’t want to sign a contract extension?

Well, sell him. For money. If, as suggested, he told the club in the summer he didn't want to stay, they should have got what they could for him.

32 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Well, sell him. For money. If, as suggested, he told the club in the summer he didn't want to stay, they should have got what they could for him.

Less than a year left on his contract. How much do you think we’d have made?

19 hours ago, Oldben said:

Marek Rodak, 27 - best of the three, most expensive though - 1st choice for Fulham when they went up to the Prem x 2. He's been in London for 10 years though. Doubt he'd want to play L1 football either.
Christian Walton, 28 - solid for Ipswich last season. Looks like he missed the start of this season with an injury and couldn't get back in. A move to Derby would make sense.
Luke Southwood, 26 - makes the least sense as he basically has 2 seasons in L1 with Cheltenham, who have been struggling. Tell a lie, he was at Reading 21/22 when they scraped 21st place.

It's reassuring that there are decent replacements out there though, while future #1 Jack Thompson gets up to speed anyway!

On 29/03/2024 at 11:13, bimmerman said:

I mean, we've got Vickers who's perfectly competent and played at the level higher as well... Its not exactly panic stations if Wildsmith goes

I prefer Wildsmith something about vickers makes me nervous especially when coming for crosses I was a keeper for 20 yrs  feel like vickers is another roos punching instead of catching when a catch is easier option but I do think Warne wants vickers as num 1

On 30/03/2024 at 12:15, Premier ram said:

Another top class save from Joe yesterday preserving the 3 pts , hope he signs that contract

For every one of those top saves there are goals like tonight where he really should have stopped that long range shot.

Im coming to the conclusion I won’t be upset if he goes but should we go up, I’d also feel he owes us a little bit as well.