Top of the league

Malty

58 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

I also don't understand why away fans are still walking down Shaftesbury Street and getting their heads kicked in? The Baseball Ground hasn't been there since 2003 and we stopped playing there in 1997. What exactly are they doing?

As you get into Derby

Your hearts will start to fade

you'll get yoiur effin heads kicked in

as you walk on Derwent parade

might need a bit of work.....

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

So true... I've noticed that too 😂

Same as when we sing "the rams are going up, the rams are going up, now you're gonna believe us, now you're gonna believe us, now you're gonna believe ussssss, the rams are going up!"

I don't mind that, usually because it's impossible to disprove it in the remainder of the 90 minutes. But top of the league, na, that's immediately moveable and what better way to motivate the opposition?

19 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I could be wrong but I think we were momentarily top during Frank Lampard’s season when we went 1-0 up at Middlesbrough. We then ultimately drew 1-1 and ended the day in about 6th.

No, you're correct. Bogle contrived to score a freak own goal late on in a game we should have been at least 3-0 up in.

On 16/02/2024 at 21:15, oodledoodle said:

We were also the first ever team to be top of any league in history, after winning game 1 in the first season of the football league.

...you'll never sing that.

I think Preston were top after that first game weren’t they? Goal average was used for the first few seasons, so their 5:2 win gave them a goal average of 2.5 whereas our 6-3 win gave us a goal average of 2. 

Just now, ck- said:

I think Preston were top after that first game weren’t they? Goal average was used for the first few seasons, so their 5:2 win gave them a goal average of 2.5 whereas our 6-3 win gave us a goal average of 2. 

Wasn't it something to do with kick off times... or maybe even a delay somewhere else, meaning our game was the first to finish?  Top on a technicality?  🤷‍♂️

I also believe that "very first top spot" was disputed/argued for years, until some evidence came to light relatively recently (This century?) 🤷‍♂️

I need to swat up!  I'm sure I've held this info in the past, but I'm damned if I can recall it now!  🤣

🐏

54 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Wasn't it something to do with kick off times... or maybe even a delay somewhere else, meaning our game was the first to finish?  Top on a technicality?  🤷‍♂️

I also believe that "very first top spot" was disputed/argued for years, until some evidence came to light relatively recently (This century?) 🤷‍♂️

I need to swat up!  I'm sure I've held this info in the past, but I'm damned if I can recall it now!  🤣

🐏

Ah yes - I think I’ve heard that one. 

On 16/02/2024 at 22:15, oodledoodle said:

We were also the first ever team to be top of any league in history, after winning game 1 in the first season of the football league.

...you'll never sing that.

... having gone behind to the first ever League goal. In fact we were 3-0 down to Bolton but came back to win 6-3...

... and no, I wasn't there 🙂

5 hours ago, ck- said:

Interesting research here: 

https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/first-ever-football-matches/

The first two to kick off were:

Stoke vs West Brom

Wolves vs Villa

West Brom finished before us and won 2:0 giving them an infinite goal average. So we wouldn’t have been top at any point.

Ah!  But that refers to the opening games of the league season.

I'm pretty sure we won the very first Charity Shield the week before!  😁

7 hours ago, ck- said:

Interesting, I didn't realise they had a different way of working it out.

Another plot by those in charge to keep the rams down.

8 hours ago, ck- said:

Goal average was used up until the 1970s when it was replaced by goal difference.

11 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Goal average was used up until the 1970s when it was replaced by goal difference.

Ssshhh!

You'll have some miserable git on here doing their research, and announcing we'd never have won our two titles with the old method!  🤣