Similar staff situation.

The Rooney / Rosenior partnership had many fans thinking Rosenior was the better coach, the better tactician, the better footballing brain. Rooney, nevertheless, had the senior role. LR looked the more busy, the more vocal in the technical area during games.

I am of the opinion that, from what we see on matchday and from bits and bobs during training from Moor Farm that get posted via #RamsTV seem to show a similar situation in that Barker is the better coach, the better tactician, the better footballing brain. PW, nevertheless, had the senior role. RB looks the more busy, the more vocal in the technical area during games.

Agree/disagree? 

4 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

The Rooney / Rosenior partnership had many fans thinking Rosenior was the better coach, the better tactician, the better footballing brain. Rooney, nevertheless, had the senior role. LR looked the more busy, the more vocal in the technical area during games.

I am of the opinion that, from what we see on matchday and from bits and bobs during training from Moor Farm that get posted via #RamsTV seem to show a similar situation in that Barker is the better coach, the better tactician, the better footballing brain. PW, nevertheless, had the senior role. RB looks the more busy, the more vocal in the technical area during games.

Agree/disagree? 

Not sure what your point is.  

When I worked I was visibly a lot busier than my boss, but I was working under his direction. I was good at getting things done once pointed in the right direction. If I'm honest, looking back, I was terrible at strategic thinking but a great fixer!

Maybe that's a similar split of responsivity between Manager and Coach. 

Not at all uncommon in lots of industries.

You see a lot of first team coaches doing what LR and RB have for us. Steve Mac was always the most visible on the sidelines under TBE and Ferguson.

Think Warne has even said as such in early interviews, definitely talks about a coaching team with him making the executive call where necessary. 

You could say the same for a lot of duos, but especially those when the manager had a more distinguished playing career (Rooney/Rosenior, Lampard with Morris and Given etc). Sometimes it's a good coach hitching his wagon to a bigger name so they can forge their own reputation, but more likely that modern managers are head coaches and work as part of a team. At the end of the day though, it'll still be the managers head on the block if it goes tits up.

46 minutes ago, NorwichExile said:

You could say the same for a lot of duos, but especially those when the manager had a more distinguished playing career (Rooney/Rosenior, Lampard with Morris and Given etc). Sometimes it's a good coach hitching his wagon to a bigger name so they can forge their own reputation, but more likely that modern managers are head coaches and work as part of a team. At the end of the day though, it'll still be the managers head on the block if it goes tits up.

“We” has become manager speak everywhere now. I suspect that in the better clubs this really is true. There is so much data available to managers that needs to be obtained and acted on that a coaching “team” means more than it ever has done.

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Agree/disagree? 

Scared Denial GIF by Ikon London Magazine

1 hour ago, The Key Club King said:

I remember when so many people here thought that Jody Morris was the brains behind the Lampard era. His time at Swindon has now dispelled that myth. Though Lampard's subsequent spells at Chelsea and Everton suggest there were little brains involved at all. 

Tomori, Mount and Wilson in a decent squad and not promoted from the Champ? The prosecution rests.

I always considered Rosenior to be the one influencing the football side of things. Rooney did good job rallying the players and fans when the club was in dire straights. I would have been happy if Clowes had allowed Liam continue. He's proving to be a decent manager at ch'ship level. Rooney has since been found wanting as a manager. 

6 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

I remember when so many people here thought that Jody Morris was the brains behind the Lampard era. His time at Swindon has now dispelled that myth. Though Lampard's subsequent spells at Chelsea and Everton suggest there were little brains involved at all. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTriNWJdiiBITZ9SnnBVtB

If you listen to that radio/podcast series following Warne at Rotherham he states himself Barker is far more into the tactical side of things.   I think he probably is more influential in making in game changes and that's why we see him busier on the touchline.  Warne seems more the macro manager when it comes to how we play and more hands on with the man management. 

Ultimately it's what works - Martin O'Neil was meant to only show up at the training ground a couple of days a week but he won trophies doing that.  

On 05/01/2024 at 16:02, FindernRam said:

Not sure what your point is.  

That LR and RB are better coaches, better tactically, than WR/PW.

PW has said that RB is better at that side of the game...

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

That LR and RB are better coaches, better tactically, than WR/PW.

PW has said that RB is better at that side of the game...

Good team then! Still don't get your point unless its another sly dig at Paul Warne?

When Man U were somewhere near their peak - coach was McClaren and Manager Ferguson - but we all knew who was in charge.

19 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Good team then! Still don't get your point unless its another sly dig at Paul Warne?

When Man U were somewhere near their peak - coach was McClaren and Manager Ferguson - but we all knew who was in charge.

No digs intended, merely asking the question of whether the situation with PW/RB is similar to that we had with WR/LR.

I think it is. I think it's the same share of responsibilities. I remember PW hinting at RB being the better tactician/coach. Add in that RB wasn't successful as a manager and you see that there are many facets to management and getting the mix right is paramount. McClaren was the ideas guy, the tactician, the hands on man and, yes, Fergie was in charge. I think we have a similar situation now and had it with the previous management as well. That was the question asked. No ulterior motives. I don't believe I mentioned anything about it being a bad idea or that maybe Rb should be #1... if you read that into it then it's not on me.