Final bits of the Jigsaw

Ramfan1958

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Winning this league is the equivalent of getting all the straight edged pieces in place, and completing the perimeter.
We are still 1,370 pieces away from putting that last piece in.

No. Winning this league (or I’d just take top two) is the equivalent of completing this jigsaw not just completing the perimeter.

When we’ve done it, we get a new, and more difficult, jigsaw out (I.e. competing in the Championship) for which we might need some new pieces in the summer.

I feel although a Defensive mid who can break up attacks would be right at the top of our shopping list alongside a no. 9 if we go up, pragmatically speaking are we going to get those in Jan? Do we even need those this season?

I'm not convinced. My concern is that we run out of steam again, injuries hit and creativity suffers. I'd look for some attacking threat maybe including a quick loanee. I cant seem to get past Steve Macs (I think, although please correct me) assertion that he liked 4 players for 2 positions either side a no.9. 2 would run themselves ragged for 60 minutes and then be replaced by the other 2 who in turn may start the next match. Get that and we can protect NML, and for me, for L1, that's our final piece.

Here's a few thoughts on points raised, thus far...

We do need a striker, agreed. Fans, pundits, staff all seem to agree on that. However, the stats show that only 2 sides have scored more than us so far this season. Scoring doesn't seem to be a problem.

DM. They are part of a defence that has seen us concede less than any club except Pompey. Are we really that bad defensively? My only real issue at DM is that we, all too often, allow opposition players to make 40 or 50 yards without a challenge. Having said that, we are defensively sound.

Rooney. Considering the extent of his injury, I don't expect to see him play again this season. I sincerely hope I'm wrong but don't think I am. 

53 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Here's a few thoughts on points raised, thus far...

We do need a striker, agreed. Fans, pundits, staff all seem to agree on that. However, the stats show that only 2 sides have scored more than us so far this season. Scoring doesn't seem to be a problem.

DM. They are part of a defence that has seen us concede less than any club except Pompey. Are we really that bad defensively? My only real issue at DM is that we, all too often, allow opposition players to make 40 or 50 yards without a challenge. Having said that, we are defensively sound.

Rooney. Considering the extent of his injury, I don't expect to see him play again this season. I sincerely hope I'm wrong but don't think I am. 

I guess the stats show that scoring goals isn’t all about the striker. We have too many games where striker is not involved. Collins didn’t achieve much at Wigan or Oxford, still puts a good shift in though. Washington has been ok at best. Again we need at least another option or a better option than Washington.

defensive mix wise we have smith, but don’t think he complements our other midfielders at all. An upgrade in this position be a big help. 

And we’re trying to win the league, scoring the most and conceding the least should be the target. Along with winning games.

It’s not that difficult a league, we feel close at the minute. Is the ideal time to strengthen.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

No. Winning this league (or I’d just take top two) is the equivalent of completing this jigsaw not just completing the perimeter.

When we’ve done it, we get a new, and more difficult, jigsaw out (I.e. competing in the Championship) for which we might need some new pieces in the summer.

Ah!  So this is the 30 piece jigsaw for under 8's, and then we move up to a 500 piece.

Yeah, I see where you're coming from.  Fair comment.  😁👍

It's been a long time since we had such a mix of attacking players it really is exciting to watch.I know our defensive record is OK but l still feel we are a bit suspect when being pressed.l know we shouldn't complain we have come such a long way as the Club is gaining back the respect all the past shenanigans lost.

35 minutes ago, jcidaho said:

Can't find much about the injury situ with Waghorn and Wash, what's going on there?

Washington required surgery on an ankle injury sustained on international duty, was reported at the end of Nov that he’d likely be out for 3 months so probably end of Feb/early March best case scenario. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/67545561.amp

Pretty sure Warne said something post match over the last week that Waghorn and Smith are due back soon but can’t remember which game. 

23 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Bird Houllane Thompson Sibley Fornah are not defensive midfielders we need someone to protect the back 4. 

Bird has been played higher up the pitch for most of this season, true. He’s a good enough footballer to manage there but imo he’s more effective sitting deep. He reads the game superbly and much of his contribution is immaculate positional play and goes unnoticed. He thinks quickly in possession and passes quickly for good transition.
Instead we have Hourihane sitting deep, precisely because he lacks speed and stamina. That’s not a winning formula no matter how good he is with a dead ball 

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Pretty sure Warne said something post match over the last week that Waghorn and Smith are due back soon but can’t remember which game. 

Waggy and Smith back in training after the Peterborough game, according to Warne after Oxford.

Only Rooney and Wash out as it stands unless anyone got crocked at Oxford.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Isn't this the same thread as January reinforceme...

Now just hold on one cockamamie minute there buddy!
How dare you come on here and suggest we are replicating discussions on multiple threa... oh... erm... yeah!  So it is!

Good point well made.  😁👍

... But it ain't ever stopped us before!  👀

I can't believe we haven't signed anyone yet. What are they playing at? I'm firmly back in the Warne out club.

* Disclaimer: This is very much tongue in cheek, for anyone thinking I'm serious. 

I wish people wouldn’t make such sweeping comments as James Collins not good enough for a Top 2 team. The bloke has run himself into the ground this last 10 games - which funnily enough has been top two form. Would it be great if he’d scored more goals? Yes absolutely - but has he missed a barrel load of chances in that time? Not really.  In this winning run the team is averaging over 2 goals a game - hardly poor. He’s kept himself fit - and been available for each fixture - which is more than our other strikers. His contribution in our box when defending set piece is huge too - I’m sure someone could quote the stats but I’d suggest he’s up there for defensive contributions (from a forward). 

I’m not saying I don’t want more competition in that number 9 slot - i would love us to have another option there because we are thread bare if Collo gets injured - but let’s give credit where credit is due.