Final bits of the Jigsaw

Ramfan1958

57 minutes ago, old tray boy said:

I remember the excitement when we signed Hales from Charlton up until he put on to paper he couldn't stop scoring .

Hales. A goalscoring machine until he came to Derby. Became one again when he left Derby.

Typical Derby. Buy a player (for £440K) and then play to his weaknesses. He scored his goals picking up on knock downs and flick ons from his striking partner Flanagan (who allegedly also scored with Mrs H, thereby causing the training ground bust up they had) and from using his pace off the mark to latch on to through balls. Derby decided to make him an O'Hare like target man, a skill set he didn't have. He scored something like 4 in 28 appearances for us. We sold him to the Hammers for £330K, 10 in 24 there. Sold back to Charlton for £100K where he continued to find the net on a regular basis.

He doesn't have good stats with Derby simply because Derby didn't play to his strengths. Derby's fault, not Hales'.

40 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Hales. A goalscoring machine until he came to Derby. Became one again when he left Derby.

Typical Derby. Buy a player (for £440K) and then play to his weaknesses. He scored his goals picking up on knock downs and flick ons from his striking partner Flanagan (who allegedly also scored with Mrs H, thereby causing the training ground bust up they had) and from using his pace off the mark to latch on to through balls. Derby decided to make him an O'Hare like target man, a skill set he didn't have. He scored something like 4 in 28 appearances for us. We sold him to the Hammers for £330K, 10 in 24 there. Sold back to Charlton for £100K where he continued to find the net on a regular basis.

He doesn't have good stats with Derby simply because Derby didn't play to his strengths. Derby's fault, not Hales'.

We paid £280K for him. I think Dalglish from Celtic to Liverpool was the first 400K + fee paid by an English club and that WAS 440K if I remember rightly.  I don't think we tried to play him as a target man either, he played quite a bit with Charlie George who was able to play as a target man. He just wasn't good enough for a top end of a division 1 team

Edited by Gerry Daly

Puzzling thread particularly given all the admiration from Oxford and Wigan fans at the depth and quality of our squad.  If Warne continues to have us playing decent football on the floor, as he has for the last 1.5 games, we should go up. If he doesn’t we won’t and won’t deserve to 

2 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

We paid £280K for him. I think Dalglish from Celtic to Liverpool was the first 400K + fee paid by an English club and that WAS 440K if I remember rightly.  I don't think we tried to play him as a target man either, he played quite a bit with Charlie George who was able to play as a target man. He just wasn't good enough for a top end of a division 1 team

I googled how much did we pay for Derek Hales..... got this reply... In a desperate bid to reverse the clubs fortunes, manager Colin Murphy persuaded his board of directors to spend £330000 on Charlton Athletic's Derek Hales, a proven lower division striker who had scored an impressive 72 goals in just 129 league appearances for the Addicks.

Using the same method I got back that WHU paid us £110K for him.

It appears my memory isn't what it was.

6 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Hales was 330k but he wasn’t up to it and didn’t suit us and how we played 

15 hours ago, S8TY said:

Hales was 330k but he wasn’t up to it and didn’t suit us and how we played 

Which is why we shouldn't have bought him in the first place. Only 4 in 28 for us then 10 in 24 at WHU in the top flight. His West Ham stats are a decent return for a striker. Murphy and the board looked no further than his goals to games ratio. When signing a player you should look at how he plays, what he does well and what he doesn't do well. Hales didn't have the skill set for the role Murphy wanted him to play. We should not have touched him with a bargepole. He got decent returns everywhere he played.... except Derby. That tells me it's the club's fault not that of the player.