Looking abroad

RYRAM

1 hour ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Do you mean FM....Football Manager?

I've never been near it but heard the founder/inventor say that it was originally purchased by geeks to play in their bedrooms but now, the stats are so accurate and wide ranging, that about 50% of sales are to professional clubs.

No idea if it's better to get an old geezer with a cap and a lanyard to watch Pablo Al-McSheznyski in the flesh once or look at his lifetime stats.

Im not sure which it is, but id be very surprised if 50% of sale are to professional clubs but get your point.

Id also be very very surprised if clubs sign a player solely based on stats, although I suppose it worked for Oakland 😏

I would agree though that a combination of both would work, Derby have previously adopted that approach to be fair.

19 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Fair enough, hopefully look forward to seeing some of these donning the Rams shirt soon....hopefully work permits won't be a problem.

Using Faris Moumbagna as an example:
International apps, 1 game, rank 43rd = 0 points
League rep, band 5 = 4 points
League apps: 80-89% of mins, band 5 = 3 points
League position, 1st, band 5 = 2 points
European competition, 90% of mins in Conference League = 2 points
European stage, need to reach semis for 1 point = 0 points

His total is therefore 11 points, meaning he would fail the work permit rules (15 required).

However, League One clubs are permitted to sign 2 players who don't meet the requirements, whilst Championship clubs can sign up to 4. It's therefore more or less redundant as we can sign at least 2 overseas players.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Using Faris Moumbagna as an example:
International apps, 1 game, rank 43rd = 0 points
League rep, band 5 = 4 points
League apps: 80-89% of mins, band 5 = 3 points
League position, 1st, band 5 = 2 points
European competition, 90% of mins in Conference League = 2 points
European stage, need to reach semis for 1 point = 0 points

His total is therefore 11 points, meaning he would fail the work permit rules (15 required).

However, League One clubs are permitted to sign 2 players who don't meet the requirements, whilst Championship clubs can sign up to 4. It's therefore more or less redundant as we can sign at least 2 overseas players.

Outside of the PL and even then that's debatable, I have limited knowledge of any players and even less of ones that ply their trade outside of this country. I can tell you more around the prospects of youth football mainly because that is what I mostly watch and have little time for anything else.

i can almost guarantee I won't know hardly, if anything about our next signing, I will rely upon others who will have more knowledge in that area. 

Hence why the questions on how people determine if a certain player is a good fit, so thanks for reply's 😊

14 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Faris Moumbagna - 23 year old forward. 24 goals and 9 assists in 36 games for Bodo in Norway. Made his Cameroon debut last month.

Not sure how realistic the others are but he's totally out of our price range.

22 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Honestly I'd be looking in the Japanese league, there's great value there and some decent bargains. 

Celtic have done excellent there, but I'd assume that was mainly through the manager at the time having extensive first hand knowledge in that market. Definitely one to be explored if given a chance. 

8 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

There was a story at the start of the season about possibly relaxing the post Brexit rules on work permits. Under the old rules we would have zero chance of signing anyone from abroad.

Anyone have the details of what the new rules are? 

Must have a beard and be a 'good chap'

The last time we were good at recruitment under Nigel, we had almost no non-UK and Ireland based players.

As much as I love the prospect of unearthing exciting talent from the Moroccan Premier League, I just don't think it's particularly feasible at this level unless you invest heavily in scouting.

Probably the area we'll have the most return on investment will be poaching players from others' academies and carefully selecting premier league academy cast offs...