Looking abroad

RYRAM

5 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

The last time we were good at recruitment under Nigel, we had almost no non-UK and Ireland based players.

As much as I love the prospect of unearthing exciting talent from the Moroccan Premier League, I just don't think it's particularly feasible at this level unless you invest heavily in scouting.

Probably the area we'll have the most return on investment will be poaching players from others' academies and carefully selecting premier league academy cast offs...

Yes, far less risk of expensive failures and/or potential cultural/logistical complications. 

We're going to sign the second best right back in Mongloia aren't we?

Seriously though, it'll be interesting to see what Warnes ... foreign policy is like, along side our recruitment team. Let's face it apart from the odd outlier we've not really recruited effectively from abroad since Jim Smith. Even then we remember the Igors, Biainios, Eranios and less so the Bragstads, Ploppys, and Grenets; we are less certain if they can adapt to English leagues so although cheaper the present more of a risk and I dont know unless we get taken over by some Robert Lindsey, Tracey Shaw, Keiran Lee, and Naill Horan led consortium if we'd be able afford taking such risks.

10 hours ago, Chopper said:

We're going to sign the second best right back in Mongloia aren't we?

Seriously though, it'll be interesting to see what Warnes ... foreign policy is like, along side our recruitment team. Let's face it apart from the odd outlier we've not really recruited effectively from abroad since Jim Smith. Even then we remember the Igors, Biainios, Eranios and less so the Bragstads, Ploppys, and Grenets; we are less certain if they can adapt to English leagues so although cheaper the present more of a risk and I dont know unless we get taken over by some Robert Lindsey, Tracey Shaw, Keiran Lee, and Naill Horan led consortium if we'd be able afford taking such risks.

Just the mention of Bragstad and Grenet has started me twitch off again! 👍🐏

How did Barnsley find that Daryl Dike chap from the USA a few years ago on loan. He was brilliant, pretty much single handedly dragged them into the play offs then got sold for big money to West Brom. I don't recall him being that well known or known at all before he went to Barnsley.

On 11/12/2023 at 07:21, therealhantsram said:

There was a story at the start of the season about possibly relaxing the post Brexit rules on work permits. Under the old rules we would have zero chance of signing anyone from abroad.

Anyone have the details of what the new rules are? 

Don't know, but pretty certain not one club in the Premier League abides by them!!!!

On 11/12/2023 at 07:21, therealhantsram said:

There was a story at the start of the season about possibly relaxing the post Brexit rules on work permits. Under the old rules we would have zero chance of signing anyone from abroad.

Anyone have the details of what the new rules are? 

Points based system requirements (have fun deciphering them): Original GBE criteria

Update, regarding number of players each club can sign outside of the points based system dependant on league: New GBE criteria