Safe Standing Is Coming to Pride Park

Caerphilly Ram

On 19/12/2023 at 13:10, Tamworthram said:

It's been a couple of years since I took a flight but I'm pretty sure (from my fading memory) that boarding passes are checked at least twice: - once at the departure lounge when your section of the aircraft is called forward to board and then again at the actual entrance to the aircraft. If there was a risk/history of flyers just choosing to sit wherever they liked rather than carefully seeking out their correct seat then perhaps there would be another level of checks implemented on aircrafts. But, there isn't so I don't think you can compare the two experiences.

In any event, although I wasn't at the game on Saturday, I can't help but feel this was more of "getting use to the new procedure minor irritation" rather than anything really worth getting worked up and complaining about.

I fly 10 to 12 times a year. I can't remember the last time I had to show my boarding pass on entering the aircraft. I use KLM, Easyjet, Air France, TUI and other airlines and none of them do that 2nd boarding pass check you mention. At Schiphol and Birmingham you do have to scan the BP in order to gain entrance to the security check. A 2nd check at the gate and that's it.

Edited by MadAmster

53 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I fly 10 to 12 times a year. I can't remember the last time I had to show my boarding pass on entering the aircraft. I use KLM, Easyjet, Air France, TUI and other airlines and none of them do that 2nd boarding pass check you mention. At Schiphol and Birmingham you do have to scan the BP in order to gain entrance to the security check. A 2nd check at the gate and that's it.

Ok, fair enough. But the point is still valid - you can’t compare the experience of a couple of hundred people trying to board an aircraft with a few thousand football fans entering a stadium. If there was a high risk that passengers just chose to sit where they like rather than carefully finding their correct seat, or worse still - more people try to cram into an area not suitable for that many people, I’m sure they’d soon start to introduce more rigorous checks. I suspect there has never been a tragedy on board an aircraft due to overcrowding.

7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Ok, fair enough. But the point is still valid - you can’t compare the experience of a couple of hundred people trying to board an aircraft with a few thousand football fans entering a stadium. If there was a high risk that passengers just chose to sit where they like rather than carefully finding their correct seat, or worse still - more people try to cram into an area not suitable for that many people, I’m sure they’d soon start to introduce more rigorous checks. I suspect there has never been a tragedy on board an aircraft due to overcrowding.

Same problem with the last block in the East Stand next to the away block. Folk without seats there making their way there during the game to get closer to "the enemy". Standing and blocking the view of those wishing to remain seated. that's why no empty seats in that area are sold these days and why no new season tickets for that block were available this season. I don't know if there's multiple checking there as well... 

Edited by MadAmster

I'm sure I've never been on an international flight where I didn't have at least two boarding pass checks before boarding a flight, and very few flights where a visual check of the BP wasn't demanded on entering the plane (though I have seen people get on without being challenged).

I don't get the fuss about having your ticket checked. Maybe I'll feel differently if I have to go through it.

3 hours ago, Crewton said:

.......and very few flights where a visual check of the BP wasn't demanded on entering the plane (though I have seen people get on without being challenged).

I've probably boarded 300+ flights in the last 20 years.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I was asked to show my boarding pass at the plane door.

The checks in the SS v Wycombe were complete overkill. An absolute shambles and totally unnecessary.

If they continue, I can see there being plenty of gaps next season when regulars move elsewhere.

Edited by Grumpy Git

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

The checks in the SS v Wycombe were complete overkill. An absolute shambles and totally unnecessary.

If they continue, I can see there being plenty of gaps next season when regulars move elsewhere.

It wouldn't be an overkill if people followed the rules. I don't know why the club don't just remove the people causing the problem and revoke their season tickets and away memberships. Problem then solved and the majority can carry on enjoying their matchday experience.

I honestly cannot remember the last time I was asked to show my boarding pass at the plane door.

So what was the process? Three checks?

Maybe a bit of a pain but hardly sounds like the worst experience or in the world or a shambles especially now folk now know it will happen. Regarding it not being necessary, maybe it's a condition of the safe standing licence. I can't imagine there being plenty of people relocating especially if they like to stand.

The plane thing, I just don't believe, but if that's your recollection, so be it. But I'm sure you wouldn't disagree that if you sit in someone else's designated seat on a plane, a "I'll sit where I want" response isn't tolerated.

As for South Stand Safe Standing, this sounds like a case of "be careful what you wish for" for a few people.

What an overreaction to something very basic. Typical of this day and age though.

So the club have introduced safe standing but need to make it very clear to everybody that it isn't a general admision and doesn't mean you can go stand where you want like we used to on the popside.

It appears to me that in order to get that message across, they introduced more rigerous ticket checks before the very first match after the rails were installed. 

And that gets the message across. A 5 second check to make sure you're not going to stand in another block to be with your mates, nothing more and nothing less.

Give it a few matches and they probably won't be as vigerous (if they are, then perhaps it might be time to start moaning)

It seams to me that a tempory slight diruption is a small price to pay for gettting what you've been wanting for a decade or two

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

The plane thing, I just don't believe, .....

This is not the House of Commons, so be a bit braver and call me a liar!

I do remember being asked to show my boarding pass at the plane door on at least one occasion, but not in the last 20 years, (the automatic checks since 9/11 have done away with the need).

19 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Every time you went up or down the stairs.

So four in my case (five with the turnstile). Good job I hadn't had a proper bellyfull before.

Well as others have said, it wouldn’t be necessary if there wasn’t a risk of folk trying to get in the wrong areas.

Sounds a pain but not exactly the end of the world. Not worth relocating if you prefer standing in the South Stand. Just keep your ticket handy until you get to your seat and stop being such a grumpy git. 😀

I do remember being asked to show my boarding pass at the plane door on at least one occasion, but not in the last 20 years, (the automatic checks since 9/11 have done away with the need).

They check your ticket on a flight if you are turning left instead of right on boarding

7 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

I didn't call you a liar because I accepted it was possible that you truly believe that airlines haven't been checking boarding passes on entry to the plane for the last 20 years. My experience is completely different.

I hope that clears up any confusion.

On 19/12/2023 at 10:33, therams69 said:

...we are not quite there with it as we have barriers, granted its a start but it's not rail seats like what Wolves / Celtic have or pretty much every European Club with it...

@therams69

Forgive the ignorance, but what's the difference between the rail seats and what the club have installed? I know that there are some functional differences (am I right in thinking rail seats can be locked upright?), but the end result is still a space for 1 person in which they can either sit or stand. What do proper rail seats offer that we don't get from the barriers which have been provided?

On 20/12/2023 at 14:35, therams69 said:

Been around for many years, surprised you have never heard of it considering there has been so much consultation with the SCG over the supporters board - all detailed in every press release by the club surrounding the board. It could have been in a video though in which case you may have missed it.

Generally all minutes from the SCG meetings are posted on here as well or have been over the years.

You dont vote for a member of the SCG. When it was setup its prime goal was to try and get as much representation as possible so groups such as Ramstrust, Punjabi Rams, Supporters Club, Disabled Rams, BWAT etc etc and a few singletons like myself.

If you have a specific question you would like to raise so you feel represented then easy to join any of the groups and put it out there. @angieramcan also advise. Feel free to DM me as well and happy to raise something at the next meeting. Before this you had @Davidat the meetings who represented the forum and he would often put a thread out asking for questions to raise etc.

It by no means represents every supporter as that is just impossible. It’s just a go to between the club and fans at best as has in my opinion been successful over the years.

We had @David at the meetings did we? Oh right. Sigh.

I think I made more meetings than you did mate in the period I represented this forum, I think I made the correct decision to stop going as they were a waste of time, anything was rarely put out after them, and it caused a us and them atmosphere because we couldn’t say anything prior to the minutes being released.  Which they rarely were.

I think you now know they are a box ticking exercise as you weren’t consulted about the rail seats.

I’d pack up if i was you mate, its a total waste of time, but done because they have to.