January Reinforcements

sage

1 hour ago, dcfcjj said:

Don’t hold me to it obviously because I have no clue on how true/fake it is, but someone I know who is a chesterfield fan and knows a lot of people told me today that we have put in a bid for Dobra. Make of it what you will but it seems like there is definitely long term interest.

I also have a friend who is a Chesterfield fan..he told me last week that we were after Dobra

38 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

How about Jack Diamond on loan? Could be looking to rebuild his career and seemed decent at league one level with Lincoln. Scored against us anyway 

An absolute gem of a player, pardon the pun. When he was at Lincoln he was by far the best attacking player at the club. He had everything you'd want, pace, skills, determination and that bit of naughtiness. Really reminded me of a young Johnny Russell or Jamie Ward. I met him a few times at some Lincoln sponsor events, really lovely lad - obviously I don't know him personally by any stretch, but from initial impressions he just seemed to be the likable cheeky chappy like a Sibley, Waghorn or as said Russell or Ward. If we could sign him as ex damaged goods like Mendez Laing was, give him a loving home, I'm sure he'd flourish. 

1 minute ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

An absolute gem of a player, pardon the pun. When he was at Lincoln he was by far the best attacking player at the club. He had everything you'd want, pace, skills, determination and that bit of naughtiness. Really reminded me of a young Johnny Russell or Jamie Ward. I met him a few times at some Lincoln sponsor events, really lovely lad - obviously I don't know him personally by any stretch, but from initial impressions he just seemed to be the likable cheeky chappy like a Sibley, Waghorn or as said Russell or Ward. If we could sign him as ex damaged goods like Mendez Laing was, give him a loving home, I'm sure he'd flourish. 

Awkward

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Since we'd hope to sign someone who can displace Collins in the XI, I would expect us to target someone who has a similarly high defensive contribution without sacrificing goals.

Depends on how Morecambe play, I imagine his lack of defensive work is playing style related. A summary of Mellon from their fans:

"Fantastic link-up play, strong work rate, scores all types of goals." 

11 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Depends on how Morecambe play, I imagine his lack of defensive work is playing style related. A summary of Mellon from their fans:

"Fantastic link-up play, strong work rate, scores all types of goals." 

Exactly this, you'd actually watch the player rather than his base a decision on stats from a different manager, league, team etc....

On 01/01/2024 at 23:05, Jimbo Ram said:

He also pulled off an incredible save in todays game. Don’t want to be wasting limited finance on a keeper.

Wildsmith is the best keeper we’ve had in years  They all make the odd mistake. He went about 8 games beginning of last season where he was literally perfect 

7 minutes ago, inter politics said:

I just don't think Warne or the club will take a chance on a player who put themselves in that position, rightly or wrongly

I can see your point, but the lad has been found innocent. Many men, some of them footballers could find themselves being arrested following allegations of rape and it is right that such allegations are taken very very seriously. But in some of these cases the allegations will be false and this can ruin the life and reputation of the accused. Are you suggesting that Warne would prefer his entire squad to be celibate ?

18 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

I can see your point, but the lad has been found innocent. Many men, some of them footballers could find themselves being arrested following allegations of rape and it is right that such allegations are taken very very seriously. But in some of these cases the allegations will be false and this can ruin the life and reputation of the accused. Are you suggesting that Warne would prefer his entire squad to be celibate ?

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I don't think we will be the club to give him that chance straightaway 

4 minutes ago, inter politics said:

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but I don't think we will be the club to give him that chance straightaway 

What will we do if any of our squad find themselves accused of something similar? It's a difficult situation to consider and talk about but how can you write people off in such a way? Isn't that what being 'good people' is all about, how you chose and behave.

Edited by RoyMac5

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What will we do if any of our squad find themselves accused of something similar? It's a difficult situation to consider and talk about but how can you write people off in such a way? Isn't that what being 'good people' is all about, how you chose and behave.

The easy example is the much loved gentleman who signed a new contract today, who also took cocaine the night before a game. And one that wasn't his first offence according the Cardiff City local newspaper journalist. This is a player, on our books, who's taken cocaine and been caught out at least twice.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nathaniel-mendez-laing-cocaine-live-19827762

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14032823/mendez-laing-cardiff-cocaine-positive-test-ban/

4 hours ago, valakari said:

I also have a friend who is a Chesterfield fan..he told me last week that we were after Dobra

There's a lot of speculation around Dobra's future as he's out of contract in summer and has so far showed no intentions of signing a new one. The club said in the Derbyshire Times there had been no bids but there are rumours on t'internet that Oxford have put in a bid. Fwiw the Chesterfield fans that I know aren't confident he'll stay or that it would take big fee given the circumstances. He's a good player for sure.