January Reinforcements

sage

Tommy Leigh - 23 years old, Accrington, out of contract in the summer. 6 goals and 2 assists so far this season, mostly playing as an AM, but has previously played at CF, DM. He's a hard working midfielder who likes to drift out to the left (similar to Hourihane), puts a lot of ball into the box early and has a decent shot

Davis Keillor-Dunn - someone capable of being an immediate starter at AM. 26 years old, Mansfield, but only 1 year into a 2.5 year contract so may cost more than we're willing to pay. 14 goals and 5 assists so far, a good dribbler through the middle of the pitch

Stephen Wearne - i mentioned him a few weeks ago. He's only 22 years old, plays mostly at CM (can play on the wing or at AM) and has 11 goals and 10 assists in 25 games for Gateshead (NL). He's a willing runner with a fantastic first touch. 

We should also be targetting L1 players who're out of contrcat in the summer, but mindful that promotion rivals are unliekly to sell to us. Get them in cheap now so their club gets somethijg for them while they can. For example, Charlton are now 14 points off top 6, so some players could be available.

Corey Blackett-Taylor - if he's available for a reasonable fee, we have to be in for him. We need to add someone who is a dribbler and finisher from the wide areas - Blackett-Taylor is both. Also originally from the Midlands, so should make it easier to tempt him to come.

Others out of contract in the summer: Josh Earl (CB/LB/LWB, Fleetwood), Rio Adebisi (LWB, Crewe), Sam McCallum (LWB, Norwich) George Dobson (CM, Charlton), Owen Moxen (CM, Carlisle), Stephen Humphrys (RW/CF, Wigan), Ruel Sotiriou (AM/LW/CF, Leyton Orient).

Divin Mubama and Callum Marshall (both West Ham CFs) are also out of contract in the summer, but will demand compensation. Both will be in very high demand with some Championship interest too.

Maybe an upgrade on Wildsmith would help in a promotion push? His decision making isn't always great, as witnessed in the Oxford game. Also the third Peterborough goal, albeit a comedy of defensive errors, Wildsmith should be doing better than the rather lame attempted save of a soft header. If Vickers is considered worthy of a start, then it's safe to assume that Wildsmith is the best we have at the club. In which case we could most probably do better. 

7 minutes ago, europia said:

Maybe an upgrade on Wildsmith would help in a promotion push? His decision making isn't always great, as witnessed in the Oxford game. Also the third Peterborough goal, albeit a comedy of defensive errors, Wildsmith should be doing better than the rather lame attempted save of a soft header. If Vickers is considered worthy of a start, then it's safe to assume that Wildsmith is the best we have at the club. In which case we could most probably do better. 

He also pulled off an incredible save in todays game. Don’t want to be wasting limited finance on a keeper.

19 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

He also pulled off an incredible save in todays game. Don’t want to be wasting limited finance on a keeper.

Why I don't understand wasting wages on Loach, that could have gone to another player we missed out on when wages had little wiggle room 

Taken from the above article;

But when asked for an update yesterday, Warne says no deals are imminent but he would prefer business to be done sooner rather than later.

"We are not amazingly close," he said. "It's not like they are sitting in the car park or anything. I've done my bit, the recruiters have done their bit and it's all about the people upstairs doing their bit.

"Hopefully we can add to this pretty impressive group. I'd like them early in the window, but you'll ask me on January 29 and I've always planned it to be late. If you ask any manager, they will tell you they want to have it done early. You and try to put everything in place, but plans can change in a heartbeat. We need to be able to adapt if it changes but I'd like to think we will have bodies in soon."

19 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

Jensen weir recalled by Brighton.  A few of us were hoping we would land him in the summer but he went to Blackpool.  Was he a flop there? Could he be a good addition for the 2nd half of this season? 

He barely played for Blackpool, been recalled to go somewhere to play week in week out. We're currently leaving out Fornah from the squad even with Smith injured. This would just be another midfielder being left out. 

49 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

Jensen weir recalled by Brighton.  A few of us were hoping we would land him in the summer but he went to Blackpool.  Was he a flop there? Could he be a good addition for the 2nd half of this season? 

Took a few games to earn a starting spot for them started 4 games back to back in the league back in September (winning 3), then only 3 late sub apps in the league since.

He was 1 of 5 central mids to be signed in the summer, along with the 3 they retained from last season's squad.

22 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Making an incredible save doesn't cancel out mistakes and bad decision making. A good, consistent GK is worth quite a lot of points in a season. Just my opinion and if Wildsmith can improve, fair enough, but we certainly could do better. 

6 minutes ago, europia said:

Making an incredible save doesn't cancel out mistakes and bad decision making. A good, consistent GK is worth quite a lot of points in a season. Just my opinion and if Wildsmith can improve, fair enough, but we certainly could do better. 

What mistakes?

As we’ve had success with Scottish players before as well as bringing players in from the Scottish league. 
Danny Armstrong (26) would be a great signing.

Plays as a winger for Kilmarnock with 4 goals and 7 assists in 22 matches this season. With only 18 months left on his contract I can’t imagine Kilmarnock would want massive money.

He has created the most amount of big chances in the Scottish premiership this season with 15 which would be 2 better than anyone in league one, with our own Mendez-Laing top of that metric with 13.

Speaking about Mendez-Laing, having Armstrong on the right would be like mirroring Mendez-Laing, he’s a good dribbler with great pace and creativity and as he’s left footed can cut in and score goals from the wing. 

Edited by Eoghan1884

34 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

As we’ve had success with Scottish players before as well as bringing players in from the Scottish league. 
Danny Armstrong (26) would be a great signing.

Plays as a winger for Kilmarnock with 4 goals and 7 assists in 22 matches this season. With only 18 months left on his contract I can’t imagine Kilmarnock would want massive money.

He has created the most amount of big chances in the Scottish premiership this season with 15 which would be 2 better than anyone in league one, with our own Mendez-Laing top of that metric with 13.

Speaking about Mendez-Laing, having Armstrong on the right would be like mirroring Mendez-Laing, he’s a good dribbler with great pace and creativity and as he’s left footed can cut in and score goals from the wing. 

Difficult to judge if he could make the step up….would he be a Bryson or a Sammon 😊

As much as we need them, are we actually getting any reinforcements.

It seems to me that we might make the play offs. Are we good enough to beat the teams in the play offs.

1 hour ago, Oldben said:

As much as we need them, are we actually getting any reinforcements.

It seems to me that we might make the play offs. Are we good enough to beat the teams in the play offs.

Time will tell Oldben 😊

On 01/01/2024 at 21:31, Ghost of Clough said:

Tommy Leigh - 23 years old, Accrington, out of contract in the summer. 6 goals and 2 assists so far this season, mostly playing as an AM, but has previously played at CF, DM. He's a hard working midfielder who likes to drift out to the left (similar to Hourihane), puts a lot of ball into the box early and has a decent shot

Davis Keillor-Dunn - someone capable of being an immediate starter at AM. 26 years old, Mansfield, but only 1 year into a 2.5 year contract so may cost more than we're willing to pay. 14 goals and 5 assists so far, a good dribbler through the middle of the pitch

Stephen Wearne - i mentioned him a few weeks ago. He's only 22 years old, plays mostly at CM (can play on the wing or at AM) and has 11 goals and 10 assists in 25 games for Gateshead (NL). He's a willing runner with a fantastic first touch. 

We should also be targeting L1 players who're out of contract in the summer, but mindful that promotion rivals are unlikely to sell to us. Get them in cheap now so their club gets something for them while they can. For example, Charlton are now 14 points off top 6, so some players could be available.

Corey Blackett-Taylor - if he's available for a reasonable fee, we have to be in for him. We need to add someone who is a dribbler and finisher from the wide areas - Blackett-Taylor is both. Also originally from the Midlands, so should make it easier to tempt him to come.

Others out of contract in the summer: Josh Earl (CB/LB/LWB, Fleetwood), Rio Adebisi (LWB, Crewe), Sam McCallum (LWB, Norwich) George Dobson (CM, Charlton), Owen Moxon (CM, Carlisle), Stephen Humphrys (RW/CF, Wigan), Ruel Sotiriou (AM/LW/CF, Leyton Orient).

Divin Mubama and Callum Marshall (both West Ham CFs) are also out of contract in the summer, but will demand compensation. Both will be in very high demand with some Championship interest too.

Thanks to the link from @Jubbs in another thread, here are graphs to compare the players I identified with others in their league

Left Wing Backs

image.thumb.png.78bc688dcda91f5dc78f0ccae2c4d436.png

image.png.4efa519d1ef554ebc2901da90d6d0414.png

Central and Attacking Midfielders

image.png.320b7be5a2e2fee8612a87c680768e8d.png

image.png.b4bad22b91ba1df18b0253228932ab69.png

image.png.9652be44dc8a607f5694b93b0532b4eb.png

image.png.0457fe3cc22ff31e93a491858b6bf25f.png

image.png.813f315fe648bc0310b4da384ed87d8a.png

Wingers

image.png.88be6ef4d6b1db0e7e0f7463b50adc3e.png

image.png.5a9eb6aeaa93de9a932864911221e682.png

image.png.d73f08014d52ec6cb939786de1c27172.png

14 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Thanks to the link from @Jubbs in another thread, here are graphs to compare the players I identified with others in their league

Left Wing Backs

image.thumb.png.78bc688dcda91f5dc78f0ccae2c4d436.png

image.png.4efa519d1ef554ebc2901da90d6d0414.png

Central and Attacking Midfielders

image.png.320b7be5a2e2fee8612a87c680768e8d.png

image.png.b4bad22b91ba1df18b0253228932ab69.png

image.png.9652be44dc8a607f5694b93b0532b4eb.png

image.png.0457fe3cc22ff31e93a491858b6bf25f.png

image.png.813f315fe648bc0310b4da384ed87d8a.png

Wingers

image.png.88be6ef4d6b1db0e7e0f7463b50adc3e.png

image.png.5a9eb6aeaa93de9a932864911221e682.png

image.png.d73f08014d52ec6cb939786de1c27172.png

What are Femi Azeez and Harvey Knibbs looking like on these metrics. Think they’d cost below their market value cause Reading are still financially f*****.

12 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

What are Femi Azeez and Harvey Knibbs looking like on these metrics. Think they’d cost below their market value cause Reading are still financially f*****.

image.thumb.png.34764f49446d07cd8b47d68a0f775d58.png

image.thumb.png.979852f78004a2c09991a47b53c8cab9.png

For comparison, this is what our wingers look like:

image.thumb.png.9ccb439054ae53eb69da8876ddd1d709.png

image.thumb.png.b8a24566745b4c767cedcde7b275c655.png

image.thumb.png.5ba1891cc3e2bc514f91c9584de9ba5d.png

image.png

https://football-prospect-research-made-by-bengriffis.streamlit.app/

Edited by Ghost of Clough

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

image.thumb.png.34764f49446d07cd8b47d68a0f775d58.png

image.thumb.png.979852f78004a2c09991a47b53c8cab9.png

For comparison, this is what our wingers look like:

image.thumb.png.9ccb439054ae53eb69da8876ddd1d709.png

image.thumb.png.b8a24566745b4c767cedcde7b275c655.png

image.thumb.png.5ba1891cc3e2bc514f91c9584de9ba5d.png

image.png

https://football-prospect-research-made-by-bengriffis.streamlit.app/

Would be going all out for Azeez, great up turn at 22 with a great footballing brain aswell as bags of quality. Get Fornah on the phone to him make it happen. Will definitely be a championship player in the next season or two if he continues to improve.