Matthew Perry - RIP

Gaspode

16 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Grown up with friends. And my wife always has it on the background still. Such a shame. Seemed a genuinely nice and funny guy.

He did - but unfortunately he was the one that couldn't hack the fame that came with such a big show - it's well documented that he'd had serious issues with drink & drugs for many years (to the point that there were periods during filming when he couldn't remember his lines).

This seems to have been a tragic accident, but whether his addictions played a part will probably become clear at a later date....utterly shocked me this morning to hear of his passing at such a relatively young age, but the more I think about it, the less shocked I really am....

Read his autobiography a few weeks ago. Or rather listened to it.

It was excellent, but boy did he have a HUGE addiction problem.

He came close to dying several times and once chartered a plane he'd just flown in from Switzerland to go straight back and buy more opioids because he'd taken them on the plane.

People rarely drown in hot tubs without being either exceedingly drunk or high. My guess is opioids.

Such a game for a smart, funny and (to me because I know a lot of people thought he came across as arrogant in his book) nice guy.

RIP

23 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

People rarely drown in hot tubs without being either exceedingly drunk or high. My guess is opioids

He may actually have been sober at this point for all we know, but habitual coke use has a habit of making people's hearts go pop at far too early an age

4 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

He may actually have been sober at this point for all we know, but habitual coke use has a habit of making people's hearts go pop at far too early an age

He was way more into opiates than he was coke. And they make you fall asleep.

When he wrote his autobiography, he was less than two years clean and had gone that long before.

The addict in me hopes it was a tragic accident, but the addict in me also makes me think he relapsed. 

I’m a generation and a bit behind when Friends came out so I didn’t watch it until I was in my 20s a decade or so ago. It really is a brilliant show. Such a feel-good show and the chemistry between the actors was so good.

It’s incredibly sad what has happened to Matthew Perry. But you could see during the show with his seasonal weight fluctuations he must have been struggling.

I watched the reunion for the first time the other day. Lisa Kudrow despite being the oldest (now 60) looks phenomenal. And that is without surgery unlike the others. Matthew Perry didn’t look too well on there and it seemed his drug addiction had taken its toll.

Such a young age and such a talented guy. Hopefully he finds peace now.

Very much enjoyed his character of Chandler. Friends is a show that will stay with me for life, able to put it on at any point and it never fails to put a smile on my face.

Matthew Perry also made a great 1 season show called ‘Studio 60 on the sunset strip’. Sorkin, so lots of quick dialogue, but I’ve watched it through several times and love it. Touches on themes of his character relying on drugs in life, which is obviously close to reality

Really gutted by this as I was the generation which watched friends in the morning on channel 4 before school. Chandler as a character totally resonated with me. I always felt a little out of step and uncomfortable, even amongst my close friends. Perry delivered what could have been an unlikable bloke to an audience which created not just hilarity but a very real vulnerability he obviously felt. He was also a great actor with solid roles in the west wing and studio 60 on the sunset strip. I really hopes he rests in peace now.