Electric Vehicles

ram59

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TimRam said:

Careful of pedestrians in carparks. One was at my shoulder before I knew it was there. My hearing is good. Quite a shock to be honest.

They have all had sound generators fitted as standard for the past 3 years or so,the problem generally is that pedestrians and especially old people don't recognise the sound as they are tuned to conventional engine noises.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

43 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Smoother,quieter,quicker...there's no comparison to be honest,try and have a drive of one if you can,it will open your eyes mate.

Smoother? - 8-speed auto box - can't feel gear changes at all

Quieter? - my car has this clever stuff called sound-proofing - other than initial start-up, it's hard to hear the engine during normal driving

Quicker? - 0-60 in 7.5 seconds - loads of torque for 30-70 acceleration - and a top speed of 140pmh - that's quick enough for most folk

Additionally, I have a genuine (not hopeful as most EVs are quoted) range of 550-600 miles on a tank full - and if I need to re-fill, there are numerous petrols stations where I can get back on the road in less than 10 minutes rather than the hour or so an EV driver needs if they're lucky enough to find a suitable charging point that's not already occupied - and I don't need to spend my journey watching a gauge to see how far I have left before I have to turn off the air-con or the stereo so that I don't end up stranded at the side of the road. Plus, if I keep the car until it's 8 years old, I won't need to splash out £10K on a replacement battery....

I actually quite like the concept of an EV, but I won't be looking for one for at least 5 years due to the genuine range issues and because the infrastructure is so lacking - though hopefully by then, we'll be looking at fuel-cells or other alternative power sources and so these concerns will no longer be an issue.

You early adopter Ecovangelists can do your best to sell them to us luddites but you need to remember that the current offerings are only suitable for a certain proportion of the population and are simply not practical for the majority (and why haven't the government mandated every new parking space and every new build house to have EV charging built-in if they really want to push take-up? - maybe they're hedging their bets on something 'better' coming along?.....)

34 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Since I retired,I've delivered new cars on a part time basis (about a 50 percent mix of petrols and electric cars,very,very rarely a diesel) and despite my initial scepticism,I've found that the British charging infrastructure is actually now very good and improving on a weekly basis.

I regularly deliver from 150 to 300 miles away with just a comfort break every couple of hours which allows a 30 minutes top up charge whilst I'm there.

The trouble is,that the media are perpetrating myths that don't stand up anymore about ev's but it's all the public have to go on

I started my journey with a plug in hybrid three years ago but having found that I use electric 90 percent of the time,we are moving to a full EV in a couple of months (polestar 2 or Hyundai ioniq 5 most probably as they are my favourite cars to deliver)

It’s the opposite with me , I find the media are far more positive on ev s than myths to stop people buying , I get a better true picture from people I know who have bought them and there are positives and negatives, at this point the negatives are too much for what I want a car for🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Hyundai Kona 64Kw.

200bhp, not that I drive fast but far better pick up than my Clio GT.

Top speed 102, which sounds puny but even in Germany I won't go over a ton on the autobahn. 

Bargain. I was looking at a hateful, evil tesla but with all the extras and dealer sleight of hand, a 290 monthly payment turned out to be over 400 on PCP. I ended up with a HP of 345 per month. Happy motorist here. 

Serious question, Does the faster you go in an EV reduce the battery life on one charge...ie reduces your 300miles per charge?

14 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Serious question, Does the faster you go in an EV reduce the battery life on one charge...ie reduces your 300miles per charge?

I only had a Corsa, but there was a sharp drop if going above 60mph. Below that the range was fairly accurate, just like the range given on an ICE car varies slightly.

The other major factor is driving style. Accelerating/decellerating sharply is a waste of charge. If you hypermile already then you'll be fine.

Range also drops a bit if it's cold (maybe noticible when below 5degC?).

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Smoother? - 8-speed auto box - can't feel gear changes at all

Quieter? - my car has this clever stuff called sound-proofing - other than initial start-up, it's hard to hear the engine during normal driving

Quicker? - 0-60 in 7.5 seconds - loads of torque for 30-70 acceleration - and a top speed of 140pmh - that's quick enough for most folk

Additionally, I have a genuine (not hopeful as most EVs are quoted) range of 550-600 miles on a tank full - and if I need to re-fill, there are numerous petrols stations where I can get back on the road in less than 10 minutes rather than the hour or so an EV driver needs if they're lucky enough to find a suitable charging point that's not already occupied - and I don't need to spend my journey watching a gauge to see how far I have left before I have to turn off the air-con or the stereo so that I don't end up stranded at the side of the road. Plus, if I keep the car until it's 8 years old, I won't need to splash out £10K on a replacement battery....

I actually quite like the concept of an EV, but I won't be looking for one for at least 5 years due to the genuine range issues and because the infrastructure is so lacking - though hopefully by then, we'll be looking at fuel-cells or other alternative power sources and so these concerns will no longer be an issue.

You early adopter Ecovangelists can do your best to sell them to us luddites but you need to remember that the current offerings are only suitable for a certain proportion of the population and are simply not practical for the majority (and why haven't the government mandated every new parking space and every new build house to have EV charging built-in if they really want to push take-up? - maybe they're hedging their bets on something 'better' coming along?.....)

I don't think you entirely read my post....

I'm a proper petrolhead and have driven the smoothest diesels and petrols you could ever find on the road but none of them,including top end luxury performance cars match a EV in terms of smoothness,refinement and performance on a public road.

A 8 speed gearbox is great but when compared to a new EV which doesn't have gears,there's no comparison.

And,as a person who now delivers cars all around the country,I'm in a great position to actually speak from experience in respect of the charging infrastructure.

In respect of many of your other comments,you appear to be quoting directly from the daily mail and they are simply nonsense for the most part.

EVs are inherently more reliable than combustion engine vehicles,they simply have far fewer moving parts and batteries are proving to last longer than was ever expected...there are Tesla's out there on huge mileages on their original batteries.

Car batteries aren't like phone batteries,they are completely different!

As I say,whether you are a luddite or not,go and get a 24 hour test drive of a modern EV and you will be amazed.

Very,very few people ever go back to fuel burning cars after living with an EV.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

Well,just like in a combustion engine car,the more you put your foot down,the more fuel you use.

It doesn't effect the battery life however,if that's what you mean.

The only thing that can reduce a batteries capacity over a long period of time is doing rapid charge after rapid charge,over and over again over a short period of time (rapid chargers are ones you finf on the motorway etc that charge the car in 30 minutes or so,most people charge at home or work on slower chargers which take longer)

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

2 hours ago, Archied said:

It’s the opposite with me , I find the media are far more positive on ev s than myths to stop people buying , I get a better true picture from people I know who have bought them and there are positives and negatives, at this point the negatives are too much for what I want a car for🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't where you see any positivity in the press archied,you would have more luck finding that Roy Mac had signed up to Paul warnes fan club!

Each to their own re cars,I don't think there has ever been a one size fits all vehicle out there....if you constantly do very long journeys,can't charge at home etc,I wouldn't recommend an EV to you.

10 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Hyundai Kona 64Kw.

200bhp, not that I drive fast but far better pick up than my Clio GT.

Top speed 102, which sounds puny but even in Germany I won't go over a ton on the autobahn. 

Bargain. I was looking at a hateful, evil tesla but with all the extras and dealer sleight of hand, a 290 monthly payment turned out to be over 400 on PCP. I ended up with a HP of 345 per month. Happy motorist here. 

Snap.  I’ve ordered one through the salary sacrifice scheme at work so includes insurance, tyres, etc.  I don’t get free charging but my plan is to switch to the Octopus Go tariff.  It cost about 9p/kWh overnight.  I reckon a charge will last me a week, give or take.  I’ve worked out that with fuel cost saving, no road tax, no insurance it’ll save me about £1600/yr (ish) in running costs.

On 29/05/2024 at 11:06, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I don't think you entirely read my post....

I'm a proper petrolhead and have driven the smoothest diesels and petrols you could ever find on the road but none of them,including top end luxury performance cars match a EV in terms of smoothness,refinement and performance on a public road.

A 8 speed gearbox is great but when compared to a new EV which doesn't have gears,there's no comparison.

And,as a person who now delivers cars all around the country,I'm in a great position to actually speak from experience in respect of the charging infrastructure.

In respect of many of your other comments,you appear to be quoting directly from the daily mail and they are simply nonsense for the most part.

EVs are inherently more reliable than combustion engine vehicles,they simply have far fewer moving parts and batteries are proving to last longer than was ever expected...there are Tesla's out there on huge mileages on their original batteries.

Car batteries aren't like phone batteries,they are completely different!

As I say,whether you are a luddite or not,go and get a 24 hour test drive of a modern EV and you will be amazed.

Very,very few people ever go back to fuel burning cars after living with an EV.

As you insist on constantly moving the goalposts with your arguments then this has become a fairly pointless discussion - and patronising comments regarding the daily mail and phone batteries don't do you any credit at all....I'm out.

On 29/05/2024 at 08:29, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

They have all had sound generators fitted as standard for the past 3 years or so,the problem generally is that pedestrians and especially old people don't recognise the sound as they are tuned to conventional engine noises.

In a relatively busy supermarket carpark that could still be an issue. I doubt the sound generator is any where near loud enough.