Don’t be too dismayed Rosenier ball is still painful

LN747

1 minute ago, angieram said:

I'd have started Barkhuizen instead of Mendez-Laing, and Washington instead of Waghorn.

Not because the others aren't good, but I want to see whether Washington can create space for Collins in the way he does for Waggy. 

And I thought Barks looked stronger than Sibley on Tuesday night so was unfortunate not to start. Mendez-Laing and Waggy to come on if needed.

I thought the team looked good defensively so wouldn't change that and options are currently limited in midfield. For that reason I would have also picked Sibs in there but he wasn't really ready for a start so soon after playing his first full 90 and it showed. Who else had we got though, with Embleton out as well now? It's a midfield curse at the moment! 

How come you are the voice of reason .

Good answer. 

14 minutes ago, Curtains said:

How come you are the voice of reason .

Good answer. 

Who says I'm the voice of reason? I'm just one opinion in many! 😂

I do think that we haven't settled on the best combinations yet, both in midfield and up front. But we're getting closer. 

I just want Bird fit again, but I know others disagree with that.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Lets not go over the top about this goal.

It was 17 passes to move the ball 30 yards forward and then a speculative shot that 9 times out of 10 ends up in the stands.

Its a good goal but lets not pretend its a goal where Hulls slick passing has carved Stoke open.

My post was half tongue in cheek.

I have similar thoughts about the goal we scored away at Millwall in 2013/14. It gets brought up as an example of how good the football we played under Clough / McClaren but if you analyse it it's only really 3 passes at the end that count for anything, relying on the cleverness of Chris Martin to make it work.

I always found it ridiculous that these passages of play would be heralded as brilliant when viewed through the lens of the 2013-2015 era but slagged off to eternity for their mostly sidewards/backwards nature under future managers when essentially it's pretty much the same until the ball reaches the final third, and the difference is having the players available to unlock that final pass or not.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Funny how many Derby fans think Rosenior is wonderful again .

Seem to remember many wanted him gone 

I did but he's proving some of his potential. Maybe wrong about Rosenior after seeing Hull play, definitely wrong about Warne after seeing Derby play.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Lets not go over the top about this goal.

It was 17 passes to move the ball 30 yards forward and then a speculative shot that 9 times out of 10 ends up in the stands.

Its a good goal but lets not pretend its a goal where Hulls slick passing has carved Stoke open.

Yes but they could actually pass the ball.

48 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I did but he's proving some of his potential. Maybe wrong about Rosenior after seeing Hull play, definitely wrong about Warne after seeing Derby play.

Look I liked Liam but the overwhelming consensus on here at the time wasn’t in his favour.  
Warne got the job after Clowes head hunted him. 
Now whether that’s right or wrong isn’t the issue now. 
Hull haven’t won the League yet and Derby still might. 
If you are saying I told you so you are talking to the wrong person 

Does the Hull keeper play 30 yards off his line like ours was doing? That was a calamity waiting to happen, even the master tactician that is Steve Cotteril pointed it out his interviews. Maybe LR has changed his ways and realised it was an awful decision. This whole LR love in smacks of injured player syndrome though, somebody with far more time than me will no doubt trudge through all the old posts that were slating LR at the time and bemoaning his style of play as “boring”. 

It's bloody funny that people are sitting there saying that we just need to be patient with Warne, to ignore the style of football for now (or just stick with it anyway if it gets results), anyone complaining about the quality of football on show is impatient and entitled, wants us to lose so the manager gets the chop, not happy with 3 points, toxic in their negativity, dragging the board down (amongst all the other insults and ridicule hurled their way).

Yet when they start talking about Rosenior they pull out all the usual overstated b******* that everything we did was boring, pointless, possession for possession's sake crap which never got us outside of our own half, this tactic or that tactic was stupid and easy to counter, that he didn't understand what was needed for League One and all that crap

...thus displaying  absolutely zero patience, not allowing the possibility for Rosenior to learn and for the style to develop and basically displaying the very traits they accuse the "anti-Warne Brigade" of having.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

My post was half tongue in cheek.

I have similar thoughts about the goal we scored away at Millwall in 2013/14. It gets brought up as an example of how good the football we played under Clough / McClaren but if you analyse it it's only really 3 passes at the end that count for anything, relying on the cleverness of Chris Martin to make it work.

I always found it ridiculous that these passages of play would be heralded as brilliant when viewed through the lens of the 2013-2015 era but slagged off to eternity for their mostly sidewards/backwards nature under future managers when essentially it's pretty much the same until the ball reaches the final third, and the difference is having the players available to unlock that final pass or not.

The other passes are drawing the opposition out of position to enable the 3 key passes. Passing it around at the back does that if you do it quickly.

25 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Does the Hull keeper play 30 yards off his line like ours was doing? That was a calamity waiting to happen, even the master tactician that is Steve Cotteril pointed it out his interviews. Maybe LR has changed his ways and realised it was an awful decision. This whole LR love in smacks of injured player syndrome though, somebody with far more time than me will no doubt trudge through all the old posts that were slating LR at the time and bemoaning his style of play as “boring”. 

Did we concede a goal from Wildsmith being off his line? No. A lot of the time, football is about taking risks, our keeper being off his line baits the opposition into taking difficult shots from far out, where 99% of the time it results in our goal kick and we regain possession. 

11 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

It's bloody funny that people are sitting there saying that we just need to be patient with Warne, to ignore the style of football for now (or just stick with it anyway if it gets results), anyone complaining about the quality of football on show is impatient and entitled, wants us to lose so the manager gets the chop, not happy with 3 points, toxic in their negativity, dragging the board down (amongst all the other insults and ridicule hurled their way).

Yet when they start talking about Rosenior they pull out all the usual overstated b******* that everything we did was boring, pointless, possession for possession's sake crap which never got us outside of our own half, this tactic or that tactic was stupid and easy to counter, that he didn't understand what was needed for League One and all that crap

...thus displaying  absolutely zero patience, not allowing the possibility for Rosenior to learn and for the style to develop and basically displaying the very traits they accuse the "anti-Warne Brigade" of having.

Did the fans appoint Warne !

36 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Did Steve Cotterill (or anyone in fact) manage to do anything about it or did they just talk about it?

22 minutes ago, sage said:

The other passes are drawing the opposition out of position to enable the 3 key passes. Passing it around at the back does that if you do it quickly.

Yeah, I know the theory.

It falls down if the opposition just decide they're going to sit in, or if the players you have up front aren't able to make use of the space it's created - without someone with a brain up there to make the right movement / play that killer pass the ball just gets recycled again and all the passing beforehand is for nought.

Most of the passes in the goal against Millwall didn't cause their players to move, I've always thought it a pretty but overrated showpiece.

The point was that we could play near-identical football to what was on show for the first 15-20 passes of the clip under subsequent managers, but there would be quite a large crossover of supporters who'd previously waxed lyrical about it under McClaren but who'd go on to label it as backwards, sidewards crap under later managers, even when the key difference a lot of the time is not having the players to make those final movements.

I remember plenty of games under Cocu where having Martin in the team made a massive difference to people's perception of how we'd played. Obviously it was never as quick as prime McClaren, but it was very rarely as slow and ponderous as those seeking to slag it off usually make it sound.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Who has he signed for big money?

Villa youngster Philogene for about £5m, Aaron Connolly for £1m (which is a snip but he’ll be on big wages), some good loans like Delap and Twine which would command wages, Ruben Vinagre on loan will be big wages, there was significant outlay last season on a number of Turkish lads about £12m, and Seri on a free (who was once a £25m player and also likely on big wages). Transfers may have been covered to some degree by Lewis-Potter transfers but they will be carrying a hefty wage budget with that lot. Take the 3 relegated clubs out of it they’ll be up there spending wise, hope they’re not paying Mel wages without parachute payments. 

1 hour ago, Curtains said:

Look I liked Liam but the overwhelming consensus on here at the time wasn’t in his favour.  
Warne got the job after Clowes head hunted him. 
Now whether that’s right or wrong isn’t the issue now. 
Hull haven’t won the League yet and Derby still might. 
If you are saying I told you so you are talking to the wrong person 

Nope I'm not at all interested in I told you so, are you?