Wild card

dog

Hmmm. Some interesting thoughts posted. My initial thoughts were Midfield and my mind strayed to the likes of Gemmill and Thorne and Seth lad, all for different reasons. The I realised we go over, rather than through, MF more often than not so any of those 3 would be wasted and get neck ache.

Defenders? Obvious candidates there too. Roy mac, Toddo, Igor, Ooh Mark Wright. Not the best footballer of the bunch but, as we're in L1, MW would be the better suited to this level IMO.

Then I looked up top. Zak, Studger, Davo, Charlie. All excellent players but would they fit into this squad? Probably not. That leads me to Coldplay, but, then again no as there wouldn't be the onrushing Hughes, Bryson or Hendrick for the great interplay. What's left? Proper battering rams like Howard or Hulse. Either of them would rip this League apart. In the end I plumped for Stevie H for no other reason than I have a match worn, signed shirt of his and the bloke's a gent.

17 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Hmmm. Some interesting thoughts posted. My initial thoughts were Midfield and my mind strayed to the likes of Gemmill and Thorne and Seth lad, all for different reasons. The I realised we go over, rather than through, MF more often than not so any of those 3 would be wasted and get neck ache.

Defenders? Obvious candidates there too. Roy mac, Toddo, Igor, Ooh Mark Wright. Not the best footballer of the bunch but, as we're in L1, MW would be the better suited to this level IMO.

Then I looked up top. Zak, Studger, Davo, Charlie. All excellent players but would they fit into this squad? Probably not. That leads me to Coldplay, but, then again no as there wouldn't be the onrushing Hughes, Bryson or Hendrick for the great interplay. What's left? Proper battering rams like Howard or Hulse. Either of them would rip this League apart. In the end I plumped for Stevie H for no other reason than I have a match worn, signed shirt of his and the bloke's a gent.

I was so gutted when he left. He'd earned that full season in the prem with us. We knew we were going down, but was there anyone else you'd rather have to try and get us back up? One of those signings that genuinely surprised me at just how good he was. Right man at the right time.

On 10/09/2023 at 09:42, Loughborough Ram said:

A level above McGoldrick?

He was 5, 6 or even 10 levels above McGoldrick, in every department.

I like McGoldrick but putting him that close to Wanchope is like saying that Cashin is a level below Stimac or McFarland

If you want to be pedantic.  McGoldrick has been a good Championship player, Wanchope was a good Premier League Player  - I make that one level.