Lots of players out of contract in Summer

Curtains

I personally think that the restrictions have put us in this position, maybe a little planning as well based on the hope we get promotion.

Looking at those below, although you could argue all could compete in the championship, I would maybe keep. Thompson (getting better all the time) Sibley and Bird have both proved themselves at that level and still young.

Cashin may be a Cash in as his stock might be high if he performs this year.

As for the rest, although proven at that level (apart from Smith) they are at the latter end of their carrers.

Might keep Smith, Barks, Forsyth and maybe Lang as bench players.

Players out of contract next summer: Liam Thompson, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Tom Barkhuizen, Conor Hourihane, Korey Smith, Martyn Waghorn, Louie Sibley, James Collins, Eiran Cashin, Max Bird, Craig Forsyth, Scott Loach

17 hours ago, Curtains said:

What does this tell us 

Players out of contract next summer: Liam Thompson, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Tom Barkhuizen, Conor Hourihane, Korey Smith, Martyn Waghorn, Louie Sibley, James Collins, Eiran Cashin, Max Bird, Craig Forsyth, Scott Loach

Who is left in contract after summer, that also matters to who might be offered a deal?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wasn't that paid off in July? 

Yes, there was a story about it being paid after a court settlement, but I'm sure there was something I read about there still being issues with registering players from outside of England after it all. It could help with explaining our summer targets and players we seemingly missed out on.

Also, even if there isn't an issue registering, would you do business with a club who didn't want to pay all of the agreed fee for a player and tried to get out of it?

Not blaming any of the current regime as I believe the Jozwiak transfer in and out was a Mel/Admin mess.

EDIT: Found the post I was referring to in an old Jozwiak thread. FIFA wouldn't allow us to register players earlier in the summer, so we have probably been restricted to EFL signings who don't require further paperwork from international authorities to transfer them.

On 02/08/2023 at 21:39, Ghost of Clough said:

The administrators tried to pass Lech off as unsecured creditors, resulting in only paying 25% of what was owed. Lech claimed they were football creditors and should be paid in full. FIFA agreed with Lech and ordered us to pay in full or face another 2 year embargo. We reached a settlement agreement woth Lech somewhere in the middle.

Edited by roboto

30 minutes ago, roboto said:

EDIT: Found the post I was referring to in an old Jozwiak thread. FIFA wouldn't allow us to register players earlier in the summer, so we have probably been restricted to EFL signings who don't require further paperwork from international authorities to transfer them.

But if we were interested we'd have been doing research/scouting already? Let's hope so. Or maybe there's a decision that at this level it's not worth the effort to look abroad?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who is left in contract after summer, that also matters to who might be offered a deal?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/derby-county/vertragsende/verein/22

Just click the years tab 

Nelson Fornah Bradley Washington and Wilson  June 2025 

Elder ,Ward ,Vickers and Rooney.  June 2026

Edited by Curtains
Added

40 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But if we were interested we'd have been doing research/scouting already? Let's hope so. Or maybe there's a decision that at this level it's not worth the effort to look abroad?

I personally hope we're leaving no stone unturned in finding players that will benefit the future of the club. Our foreign imports recently haven't been the greatest, but we have had some gems over the years. Hopefully, now the Jozwiak thing is settled, and the EFL is satisfied we're working well to our business plan, then that will allow us to operate more freely within the market going forward.

5 hours ago, MadAmster said:

My take.... Loach, Fozzy and maybe Waggy will retire. Cash and Bird will go, IMO. Tommo and Sibs likely to stay. Not much point in having NML and Barks if we aren't going to play wingers and neither of them is a wing back. Hourihane, Smith and Collins to be let go? All of which means another rebuild next summer. That would be 3 consecutive summers of squad rebuilding. Probably not the best plan going forward.

Think you have it about right. If Cashin and Bird have had their heads turned this summer , are they going to swivel back before January ? 

4 hours ago, Yoxoram said:

Why do you think that?

Because Hourihane is absolutely not upper Champ material IMO. He's prob our most disappointing signing overall. Not saying he's rubbish but I don't see any Prem/upper Champ pedigree at all. Feels like a bang average lower Champ player to me - fine for where we're at but don't see his 'pedigree' on the pitch at all. Prob a good trainer / 'parched' as Peter Crouch would say.

32 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

Because Hourihane is absolutely not upper Champ material IMO. He's prob our most disappointing signing overall. Not saying he's rubbish but I don't see any Prem/upper Champ pedigree at all. Feels like a bang average lower Champ player to me - fine for where we're at but don't see his 'pedigree' on the pitch at all. Prob a good trainer / 'parched' as Peter Crouch would say.

Really??

On 07/09/2023 at 17:05, Curtains said:

What does this tell us 

The optimist in me thinks that the players of value will only stay if we’re in the championship so the club know there is no point negotiating yet. The rest of the players might not be good enough for the step up but they’ve done a job to get us off the bones of our backside. 

I look at that list and I certainly only want 6 resigning: Thompson, Waggy, Sibley, Cash, Bird and Fozzy. Perhaps Barkhuizen at a push. 

I hope TJJ signs permanently to replace Collins, Fornah replaces Smith, we need 1 or 2 options that can play wider up top to replace NML and TB (if he goes). 

I’d then hope that our recruitment side have identified a number of young, high potential, reasonable cost players to bring in and freshen up the oldest squad in this division. Use compo from Cash and Bird to get in 2 or 3 decent players coming into their prime and then do a Sunderland. Get young exciting players and hope we can sell them on in a couple of seasons reinvesting in more exciting young players. 

Assume a third of players will work out well, a third will be decent squad options and a third will not make the step up but build relationships with a league 2 club (Mansfield???) for loaning these players to to get them in the shop window/give them a chance. 

We need to have a long term vision for our recruitment strategy and then ensure managers/head coaches agree to that philosophy before joining us. 

The club doesn’t rely on one man to make any of it all work from players through to coaches through to recruitment staff because we set a blue print. 

The ideal for me: Derby county will get themselves to the championship by hook or by crook and then will build a competitive side of academy graduates, exciting young players and 2 or 3 experienced free transfers to help the squad develop. We might not get in the play offs but it’d be exciting to watch and eventually you’d hope we could hang on to enough of them to have a real push. 

Edited by IlsonDerby

On 08/09/2023 at 20:47, Raich Carter said:

Hourihane was so crap last season that he was Derby's only representative in the EFL team of the season 2022/23. Sorry, but you are so wrong in your assessment of him.

48 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

Hourihane was so crap last season that he was Derby's only representative in the EFL team of the season 2022/23. Sorry, but you are so wrong in your assessment of him.

👍

How to ask this in a non accusatory anti Warne manner… 🤔 but do you think we play to his strengths often enough, he’s undoubtedly a good player.

1 hour ago, Yoxoram said:

That team was clueless anyway, he had some good games and scored a fair amount but most games he was either poor or bang average and he didn't get around enough and do enough defensive work +has inconsistent passing .I would have sold him in the summer ,not made him captain.Him and Collins were weaker players in our line up last season.