Lots of players out of contract in Summer

Curtains

On 10/09/2023 at 16:28, RoyMac5 said:

👍

How to ask this in a non accusatory anti Warne manner… 🤔 but do you think we play to his strengths often enough, he’s undoubtedly a good player.

I would prefer him playing a more advanced role because he doesn't have the pace to be a box to box midfielder despite his best efforts to be one at times. If (big if) everyone is fit then I think we could facilitate this regardless of playing with a back 5 or 4. The best option I can think of with our current injury list is Smith and Fornah as the sitting midfielders with Hourihane further forward (this comes with a health warning, in that I have not seen enough of Fornah to properly assess him and very possibly my plan wouldn't work).

On 10/09/2023 at 17:30, Marriot Ram99 said:

That team was clueless anyway, he had some good games and scored a fair amount but most games he was either poor or bang average and he didn't get around enough and do enough defensive work +has inconsistent passing .I would have sold him in the summer ,not made him captain.Him and Collins were weaker players in our line up last season. 

Season 2022/23, Hourihane 44 league games, 7 goals, 10 assists. He was fourth in League 1 for chances created and fifth for assists. Not bad going for someone you describe as "either poor or bang average" in most games.

His lack of pace is a significant weakness in his game fortunately. I say fortunately because if he was quick he would still be playing in the Premier League and we wouldn't be lucky enough to have him at Derby.

Oh, before I forget, he already has two goals and two assists this season.

3 hours ago, Yoxoram said:

Season 2022/23, Hourihane 44 league games, 7 goals, 10 assists. He was fourth in League 1 for chances created and fifth for assists. Not bad going for someone you describe as "either poor or bang average" in most games.

His lack of pace is a significant weakness in his game fortunately. I say fortunately because if he was quick he would still be playing in the Premier League and we wouldn't be lucky enough to have him at Derby.

Oh, before I forget, he already has two goals and two assists this season.

He's nowhere near Premier League quality it's not just pace it's physicality it's composure , it's alot of things some times he will just f****** hoof the ball straight up into the air instead of controlling it. He's a CM goals and assists are a bonus but alot of them are set pieces and you need more than that to be a good Cm we could have Charlie Adam playing for us now and he'd get plenty of assists from corners. You need to be able to do more than he does to be a good player,he's not even great on the ball he will do a great pass and then something crap just as often. 

If anyone watched all the games and thought he was class and a great player most games then they mustn't know much about football. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

10 minutes ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

He's nowhere near Premier League quality it's not just pace it's physicality it's composure , it's alot of things some times he will just f****** hoof the ball straight up into the air instead of controlling it. He's a CM goals and assists are a bonus but alot of them are set pieces and you need more than that to be a good Cm we could have Charlie Adam playing for us now and he'd get plenty of assists from corners. You need to be able to do more than he does to be a good player,he's not even great on the ball he will do a great pass and then something crap just as often. 

If anyone watched all the games and thought he was class and a great player most games then they mustn't know much about football. 

He played 75% of Villa s premier league matches in 2020

On 07/09/2023 at 17:05, Curtains said:

What does this tell us 

Players out of contract next summer: Liam Thompson, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing, Tom Barkhuizen, Conor Hourihane, Korey Smith, Martyn Waghorn, Louie Sibley, James Collins, Eiran Cashin, Max Bird, Craig Forsyth, Scott Loach

It tells us that 2 years ago were only allowed to offer 2 year contracts? 

6 hours ago, Marriot Ram99 said:

Yeah so he is an ex Prem player but apart from the odd good finish he is not showing enough Premier League quality. 

He won't though fella, that's why he's here.  He will get 8-10 goals by the end of the season from open play though and a number of assists.  He'll be far more proficient in midfield than anyone else we have basically.