Interest Rates and Inflation

G STAR RAM

44 minutes ago, cstand said:

Inflation down to a year low now 7.9%
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/business-66231510

6 minutes ago, cstand said:

More good news the all important government two year gilts yields are down from 5.5% to 4.8%.

Fabulous news. I'm off to buy a Greggs sausage roll to celebrate. I hadn't planned on eating again until payday!

What a time to be alive! 😂

6 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Fabulous news. I'm off to buy a Greggs sausage roll to celebrate. I hadn't planned on eating again until payday!

Indeed, you could be living in Spain and having to put up with an inflation rate of a ghastly 1.9%.

Bigger number means better right?

33 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I use my O2 priority at Greggs free tea or coffee during the week. Free bacon cob and sausage roll at the weekend has now expired been replaced by free beer or wine on a Thursdays at Ember Inns.

I also get perks with Volt with Virgin Media.

If you want any other money saving tips feel free to pm me anytime pal, always willing to help a fellow Rams fan. 

https://www.virginmediao2.co.uk

Edited by cstand

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

I agree the markets thought tax cuts would be inflationary. And that’s because they increase demand and productivity, ie they increase GDP which is what the intention was. As for any consequent inflation requiring interest rate rises leading to higher mortgage rates…. Well that is the issue that the original poster is querying… why? Why raise interest rates which undoes the efforts of trying to stimulate growth? 

The proposal you are describing would bring justified interest rate rises rather than the current unjustified interest rate rises.

19 minutes ago, cstand said:

I use my O2 priority at Greggs free tea or coffee during the week. Free bacon cob and sausage roll at the weekend has now expired been replaced by free beer or wine on a Thursdays at Ember Inns.

If you want any other money saving tips feel free to pm me anytime pal, always willing to help a fellow Rams fan. 

Can O2 priority get us a CF aged 23 to 29?

Just now, sage said:

The proposal you are describing would bring justified interest rate rises rather than the current unjustified interest rate rises.

Hmmm… I am afraid I do not follow. We have a triple problem… sluggish growth , a high debt ratio to GDP ( not unconnected) , and high inflation. Why an attempt to tackle the first two problems should trigger higher interest rates but doing nothing about those first two problems should not is a mystery to me, anyway inflation is coming down it seems which of course it was bound to do. 

7 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Hmmm… I am afraid I do not follow. We have a triple problem… sluggish growth , a high debt ratio to GDP ( not unconnected) , and high inflation. Why an attempt to tackle the first two problems should trigger higher interest rates but doing nothing about those first two problems should not is a mystery to me, anyway inflation is coming down it seems which of course it was bound to do. 

I'm sorry it's a mystery to you. I've tried explaining to the best of my ability. I will let someone else have a go.

1 hour ago, cstand said:

I'm just taking the mick buddy, but I'm touched by your considerate reply all the same. For clarity, I'm relatively comfortable financially, so bear markets don't impact me in the same way they do young folk starting out, or folk working in poorly paid jobs. On this point though, I did note your regular contributions on the Money Saving thread and thought them both considerate and useful. I don't doubt a few bargains were secured thanks to the links and offers you highlighted. 

Addressing your posts sensibly, what I'm getting at is that both the rate reductions are of course very welcome, but the cost of borrowing remains a serious issue for a lot of families and sadly they will be enduring another 12 to 18 months of hardship at very least before things change in a meaningful manner. You and I will be fine, many others though, will be facing a grim and uncertain future. 

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

You and I will be fine, many others though, will be facing a grim and uncertain future

Oh you and your empathy

There are 2 types of people. Those empathetic idiots who think "I will be fine but I worry about others less fortunate" and those kindly souls who simply think "I will be fine and I not only don't care about those less fortunate, I also don't care if this attitude makes me look like a monster"

45 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Don't let him off by rounding it up! He talks mince

image.thumb.png.8ae7d95e73b1b788dbe5d8e622c0ba45.png

Uk rate assuming you are referring to benefit claimants is 4%. Both rates are higher in reality, but do you not see why Spain might have lower inflation than we do, with unemployment at over three times our rate? 

7 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Uk rate assuming you are referring to benefit claimants is 4%. Both rates are higher in reality, but do you not see why Spain might have lower inflation than we do, with unemployment at over three times our rate? 

A Phillips curve believer I see.

So, with this relationship established, why is the UK government talking about ways of getting the 500,000 people who left the workforce during covid back into work.......is that a good idea for inflation?

16 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

A Phillips curve believer I see.

So, with this relationship established, why is the UK government talking about ways of getting the 500,000 people who left the workforce during covid back into work.......is that a good idea for inflation?

Perhaps, but Government also want to increase GDP, which will increase their tax take.  

13 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

For the G7 it's generally the opposite.............of course with the one outlier!

Inflation Rate          Unemployment Rate

Canada:              2.8%                                5%

USA:                    3%                                  3.6%

Japan:                3.2%                                2.6%

France:               5.3%                                7.1%

Germany:           6.4%                                5.6%

Italy:                   6.4%                                7.6%

UK:                     7.9%                                 4%