Interest Rates and Inflation

G STAR RAM

13 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

For the G7 it's generally the opposite.............of course with the one outlier!

Inflation Rate          Unemployment Rate

Canada:              2.8%                                5%

USA:                    3%                                  3.6%

Japan:                3.2%                                2.6%

France:               5.3%                                7.1%

Germany:           6.4%                                5.6%

Italy:                   6.4%                                7.6%

UK:                     7.9%                                 4%

It's difficult to compare unemployment rates as all countries count the figures slightly differently. The UK are quite well known for their creative counting on this figure. 

2 minutes ago, sage said:

It's difficult to compare unemployment rates as all countries count the figures slightly differently. The UK are quite well known for their creative counting on this figure. 

I thought our ONS started calculating an "economically inactive" ratio as well but perhaps that didn't catch on.

Our rate is the benefit claimant rate. Which since we impose rules to restrict/deny benefits in all sorts of circumstances, is a very poor proxy measure.

5 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Oh you and your empathy

There are 2 types of people. Those empathetic idiots who think "I will be fine but I worry about others less fortunate" and those kindly souls who simply think "I will be fine and I not only don't care about those less fortunate, I also don't care if this attitude makes me look like a monster"

And you know what, both people are most likely contributing exactly the same amount to helping the less fortunate out.

I've been called out for not showing empathy on here many times before but, like you say, I really don't care.

I do my bit to help the less fortunate where I can but don't really see the point of going on an internet forum to tell people about it.

43 minutes ago, sage said:

Indeed, that’s a fair point, although we can only go on the data given.

My point was more along the lines of the link between a low employment rate meaning a higher inflation rate,  isn’t always the case, as the poster was suggesting.

7 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

he does a 

image.png.cb3128df64a3ff28691311b0f0e11b43.png

but he doesn't like to talk about it

Nah very rarely give to charity, alot of them are organisations that have people who like to pretend their empathetic too whilst creaming off huge salaries.

At the end of the day when empathy starts paying bills then I'll join your crusade, until then I'll find public displays of it a bit of a self back patting exercise.

9 hours ago, Ramarena said:

For the G7 it's generally the opposite.............of course with the one outlier!

Inflation Rate          Unemployment Rate

Canada:              2.8%                                5%

USA:                    3%                                  3.6%

Japan:                3.2%                                2.6%

France:               5.3%                                7.1%

Germany:           6.4%                                5.6%

Italy:                   6.4%                                7.6%

UK:                     7.9%                                 4%

That doesn't show the opposite at all. We have the highest inflation of Europe  G7 and the lowest unemployment. We also have lower rates of economic inactivity than the EU. The US has lower inflation as it is not affected by cost of oil imports. 

5 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

That doesn't show the opposite at all. We have the highest inflation of Europe  G7 and the lowest unemployment. We also have lower rates of economic inactivity than the EU. The US has lower inflation as it is not affected by cost of oil imports. 

Glad you finally agree that the unemployment rate does not always  dictate the inflation rate.

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Glad you finally agree that the unemployment rate does not always  dictate the inflation rate.

I didn’t say that it did. I said it was a factor. The biggest factor affecting UK inflation right now is fuel prices… but that they are now working their way through and inflation is coming down. 

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

I didn’t say that it did. I said it was a factor. The biggest factor affecting UK inflation right now is fuel prices… but that they are now working their way through and inflation is coming down. 

Why do you think inflation is lower than in other G7 countries when we produce  good amount of oil and gas?

3 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

You’re right…….I must have imagined it!

19 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

Uk rate assuming you are referring to benefit claimants is 4%. Both rates are higher in reality, but do you not see why Spain might have lower inflation than we do, with unemployment at over three times our rate? 

4 hours ago, sage said:

Why do you think inflation is lower than in other G7 countries when we produce  good amount of oil and gas?

Profiteering by the huge multi national corporations and supermarkets.

Price movements in wholesale markets have not been reflected in retail prices.

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Profiteering by the huge multi national corporations and supermarkets.

Price movements in wholesale markets have not been reflected in retail prices.

Why does that not happen in other countries? They have multi nationals and supermarkets.

20 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Because we have a Government that have, at worst failed to act but more likely encouraged banks and multi nationals to profiteer at the expense of its citizens.

Well it's hard to disagree with that. Particularly private monopolies.  

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Because we have a Government that have, at worst failed to act but more likely encouraged banks and multi nationals to profiteer at the expense of its citizens.

....... usually well lubricated by a political donation or three.