Jason Knight - joined Bristol City

IlsonDerby

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

A deal closer to £2m, including add-ons, is likely to force a sale but City are working within a tight and defined transfer budget and they won’t be pushed into overspending on any one player.

Yes I'm sure another 500k would force a sale Bristol live.  Load of bollox.

I'd taxi Bielik to Birmingham for a million fee and about 1.2 million saved in wages.

It won’t happen anyway because I was someone in piss stained tracksuit bottoms that spotted him in Bristol and put 2+2 together, wasn’t I?

Surely if we were having our pants pulled down so badly then more teams than Bristol city would be in for him, and also would be pushing the fee up.

Someone is worth what someone will pay. Knight is a decent footballer with a great engine. Really didn’t push on last season. Hope he does have a good career but I just don’t see it. 

Hughes, Hendricks were on a whole different level to knight.

25 minutes ago, JJH said:

It won’t happen anyway because I was someone in piss stained tracksuit bottoms that spotted him in Bristol and put 2+2 together, wasn’t I?

No mate, that was Popodoupoulos I was referring to. Think you misread.  If you want to wear piss stained tracksuit bottoms, feel free however. Also feel free to to put 2+2 together. Make sure you subtract the two other fingers to avoid 6. Thanks for the input.

When you see man utd are selling Zidane iqbal, young talented midfielder, already full international (admittedly it is Iraq), big hype about, to a decent pedigree European team for 1mill I think as much as we love knight and rate him highly, as I do, we need to think carefully with regards to our valuation we would be disappointed in.

Me? I would keep him and let him run his contract down unless someone pays 2mill + sell on clause. Gamble on getting promoted and him being happy to sign a new deal is only championship clubs are currently sniffing.

30 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Just looked his stats up 

regular from 2019-2023

league appearances 150 
goals 11

assists 7 

that’d terrible tbh 

In that time he’s been used in a variety of positions within the team and isn’t necessarily in there to be a goalscorer. Football is littered with brilliant players who don’t have massive numbers for goals and assists as their role in the team isn’t about that, it’s about the work they do enabling others.
As an example, would NML have scored some of the goals he did without Knight doing work overlapping from rb? 
I’m not saying Knight is amazing, but to simply look at his goals and assists seems ignorant to the bigger picture of who he is. 150 league games at 22 years of age, 20 caps for Ireland, he’s had injuries in that time too so arguably would have played more. Runs, presses, tracks back, tackles, can pass… he’s got plenty about him with time and potential still on his side. 

If he doesn’t want to stay at league one for another season it seems fair and sensible to sell him for as much as we reasonably can (probably somewhere between £2-4m with add ons….closer to £2m than £4m). He’ll go on to have a decent enough career. Oh, and I’m not saying Knight has said he wants to leave, just speculation based on what his international manager has said. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

A couple of the random “EFL transfer” Twitter accounts tweeted within the last hour that Ipswich are in for Knight too. Massively mistrust such accounts, however let’s pretend they’re trustworthy for a moment…if we are going to end up losing him, more teams interested would mean the club can play hardball and get the price up. 

When he leaves, if it's in this window, I just hope he goes somewhere that he will be allowed to cement himself as the first choice CM, not the utility player he has become.

For the figures quoted, unless he wants out, I'd keep him in the hope we go up and can offer him a decent new deal to stay but get the lad in midfield.

6 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

A couple of the random “EFL transfer” Twitter accounts tweeted within the last hour that Ipswich are in for Knight too. Massively mistrust such accounts, however let’s pretend they’re trustworthy for a moment…if we are going to end up losing him, more teams interested would mean the club can play hardball and get the price up. 

I had Ipswich down as a possible bidder for Bielik.  Moderate pants down price for a club with aspirations.  Sunderland or West Brom would be my other bets.

2 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Just looked his stats up 

regular from 2019-2023

league appearances 150 
goals 11

assists 7 

that’d terrible tbh 

he didn’t save any penalties either. But match after match our last season in the championship he was our best player. It was embarrassing, our commentary team trying to find a reason not to name him MOTM again. 

34 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

that’s where his head was last year. He should move on now

He'll be on good money here for a year as it was an optional year.  Generally based on performance, so may be an increase.  He can sign for someone else in January on a pre contract . If we do go up he won't get many better clubs or deals at championship level other than those who've been relegated this season coming.  If we can get shot of Bielik for most of this final Arsenal fee plus huge wage saving,  I can't see any reason to sell.   Players have a fee and 3-4 million with add ons would be reasonable.  As a club Derby consistently undervalues itself on transfer fees.  Pay up or jog on. It's not 18 months ago.  

18 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He'll be on good money here for a year as it was an optional year.  Generally based on performance, so may be an increase.  He can sign for someone else in January on a pre contract . If we do go up he won't get many better clubs or deals at championship level other than those who've been relegated this season coming.  If we can get shot of Bielik for most of this final Arsenal fee plus huge wage saving,  I can't see any reason to sell.   Players have a fee and 3-4 million with add ons would be reasonable.  As a club Derby consistently undervalues itself on transfer fees.  Pay up or jog on. It's not 18 months ago.  

he’s already given us a year in div1. We wont get another and we shouldn’t criticise him when we don't. It’s not so much about salary - though he’ll do better higher up surely. It’s more about his development as a player. He’s been awesome for us - until this year. 

(btw I’d guess we agreed with him in Jan that we’d release him if we didn't go up. He went public with that line anyway …)

Good luck Jason. And we’re paying the price for failing to get promoted 

2 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

he’s already given us a year in div1. We wont get another and we shouldn’t criticise him when we don't. It’s not so much about salary - though he’ll do better higher up surely. It’s more about his development as a player. He’s been awesome for us - until this year. 

(btw I’d guess we agreed with him in Jan that we’d release him if we didn't go up. He went public with that line anyway …)

Good luck Jason. And we’re paying the price for failing to get promoted 

I'm not criticising Knight.  I'm criticising the club if they take tuppenceI'd take tuppence for Bielik tomorrow.  If he was in my foxhole I'd surrender.  I don't remember this

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He can only sign a pre-contract in January with clubs outside of England (and Wales), so clubs in Scotland or the rest of Europe. Deals with other domestic clubs for free agents can only be agreed after the third Saturday in May.

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm not criticising Knight.  I'm criticising the club if they take tuppenceI'd take tuppence for Bielik tomorrow.  If he was in my foxhole I'd surrender.  I don't remember this

yes I am beginning to think I dreamt that. It was one of those slightly between the lines comments.  It came direct from Knight - and don't think it came through the club’s media channels. The message I took away was that the only way Knight would stay with the club this next season was if we were promoted. As I said in another thread I have an idea it was said after the Irish coach had dipped his oar in (but I may have confused that with comments from the Polish coach about Bielik before the WC ).

I think we owe it to him to let him go and take the best price we can get. I was hoping Luton, Burnley or similar would come in but no surprise all the interest is from the Championship

10 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

that’s where his head was last year. He should move on now

9 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Links?

10 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Links?

There isn’t one, cause that’s not what he said. I covered off what he said in an interview with BBC Radio Derby in January in the below thread. The quotes from Knight were as follows;

“I’ve always been happy here. I’ve come through here and I know a lot of people around the club, a lot of people around the city so I’ve always been happy here.

“But contract stuff takes care of itself.”

Asked directly whether he wanted to stay at the East Midlands club, he said:

“Look we’ll see what happens I suppose but I’m really enjoying my football.”

8 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

There isn’t one, cause that’s not what he said. I covered off what he said in an interview with BBC Radio Derby in January in the below thread. The quotes from Knight were as follows;

“I’ve always been happy here. I’ve come through here and I know a lot of people around the club, a lot of people around the city so I’ve always been happy here.

“But contract stuff takes care of itself.”

Asked directly whether he wanted to stay at the East Midlands club, he said:

“Look we’ll see what happens I suppose but I’m really enjoying my football.”

Colour me surprised 😂

“I'm an ambitious person, and I want to play at the highest level I can at club and international level. But Derby is a great club and there are a lot of great people at the club. I think there are foundations being built again to make it go up the levels. There are good times ahead at Derby, the club is in a good place now.

“It’s a fine line and I will have to assess everything in the summer. I will get away for a couple of weeks and shut my mind off and make the decision in the pre-season.”

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/im-an-ambitious-person-irelands-jason-knight-to-weigh-up-future-at-derby/a816436125.html

interesting...

Edited by Animal is a Ram