Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Are there two different yellow cards? Get another and you are off. So it doesn't matter what the first was issued for. I know that Sibs set up the goal and has the best shot in the squad or some such label from Warne. We needed to score. We needed to try something other than put Ward on to throw yet more crosses into the box. If you'd take Messi off when your team were needing goals however he'd been playing then that would be your choice. I'd leave him on as he'd have something extra. No I am not comparing Sibs to Messi or Bellingham.

Warne get the criticism because he's one dimensional. I wonder who needed to see the game to know he'd bring Bradley on? 😄 You are exaggerating a point, my point was about younger players not getting a chance. But yeah Sibs had 60 minutes so that's enough! Was there no-one else playing as badly as Sibley then?

Sibley was going backwards before he was pulled, Roy!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Bucko comes across really well on the interview I think. Full of passion, realism, common sense and knowledge. He proved as a player that he had the character and grit to make the maximum use of his own abilities and he probably reached the maximum potential he could possibly achieve before he retired. I think our young players are in good hands while he is around. He seems to have a patriarchal air about him and seems set on bringing those he thinks are ready to the attention of the head coach. I hope Warne knows that he's dealing with a no-nonsense football genius 😆. COYR.

2 minutes ago, Banksy said:

Bucko comes across really well on the interview I think. Full of passion, realism, common sense and knowledge. He proved as a player that he had the character and grit to make the maximum use of his own abilities and he probably reached the maximum potential he could possibly achieve before he retired. I think our young players are in good hands while he is around. He seems to have a patriarchal air about him and seems set on bringing those he thinks are ready to the attention of the head coach. I hope Warne knows that he's dealing with a no-nonsense football genius 😆. COYR.

Probably a good chance Warne has never heard of Jake Buxton 🤣

1 hour ago, Rev said:

He probably remembers playing under Captain Bucko at Mansfield, and I'm pretty sure Barker will remember playing a hundred odd games with Jake.

Their paths crossed again in Jake's second game for Derby at Don Valley Stadium when Rotherham of Division Two beat us 2-1 in the first round of the League Cup. Rotherham considered it a giant killing because the previous season we'd beaten Man U at home 1-0 and lost the 2nd leg 2-4 in the semi-final of that competition. Warne equalised and then laid on the winner as we watched from the stands which seemed miles from the pitch. But as we know Jake went on to score the famous injury time winner against Forest at Pride Park in the game where Shaun Barker sustained his shocking knee injury. By doing that Bucko instantly became a cult figure here, giving rise to the football genius chant. I think we can safely say now that Paul Warne will not rise to that status at Derby!

57 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

How is Carlos Richards doing? I thought he was one of our top prospects after he made his first team debut at 16, but I rarely hear him mentioned these days.

He's adjusting to U21 football. His height means he will need a bit of time to adjust to the different level of physicality. He was injured for a good chunk of last season, but scored 3 and assisted 4 in his last 4 games in the U18s.

And he has been on international duty, too. Did quite well. 

Carlos Richards - Gibraltar Under-21s

Richards played 88 minutes as Gibraltar Under-21s lost out narrowly 1-0 to Netherlands Under-21s in an UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualifer before playing the full 90 in a 2-1 victory over Moldova Under-21s.

Cruz Allen - Wales Under-17s

Attacking midfielder Allen played 90 minutes as Wales Under-17s knocked off Belgium 1-0 in UEFA European Under-17 Championship Qualifiers before playing 82 minutes and scoring in an impressive 4-0 victory over Gibraltar Under-17s to help his side to the top of their group.