Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

Indeed we are rebuilding the u18s and u21s but I will argue that the u18s have Beat any of the big teams yet this season with losses to City, Liverpool, Wolves and United. Thompson Brown Hawkins Wheeldon Allen and McAndrew will indeed form part of a team that should have a decent run in the Youth Cup.

The players you mention are indeed part of the future u21 team and yes Brown is with the first team because he has been scoring at u21 level and playing well. 

The u18s also benefitted from the return of some players from long term injury in January. 

I’m not asking Bucko to be cautious either as we have areas in the u21s that need Improvement but let’s just see how it looks in a month after the Central league games are out of the way. 

Boro will be a test tomorrow very different to the City game last week.. that was my comment. I hope they go up there and do really well but it will be a test and very little room for some of the mistakes made against City and against a team stronger than Mansfield reserves. 

I would also say that with the talent in the u15/16s the rebuild will gain pace as they turn full time in the next few years as that seems to be a truly golden age group. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

34 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

It’s like saying the u18s were stronger today without the players who will be with the u21s tomorrow. 

Absolutely not. We'll never know what the U18 score would have been today had those in the U21 squad stepped down. The U18 squad is relatively stronger than in their age group the U21 squad at present, that's why the U18 players who are deemed ready are stepping up to strengthen it. This is DCFC not a competition between the two age groups. They're all in it for the betterment of the club I hope.

You sound a bit like Alan Hansen in 1995: "You can't win anything with kids." The line was uttered by the former Liverpool star on Match of the Day about Alex Ferguson's young side - and came back to haunt him.

3 minutes ago, Banksy said:

Absolutely not. We'll never know what the U18 score would have been today had those in the U21 squad stepped down. The U18 squad is relatively stronger than in their age group the U21 squad at present, that's why the U18 players who are deemed ready are stepping up to strengthen it. This is DCFC not a competition between the two age groups. They're all in it for the betterment of the club I hope.

You sound a bit like Alan Hansen in 1995: "You can't win anything with kids." The line was uttered by the former Liverpool star on Match of the Day about Alex Ferguson's young side - and came back to haunt him.

I believe in Youth you just need to read my posts in the is forum. I don’t believe in criticism of players or age groups but I do speak honestly and from what I have watched. 

They are talented kids but they are still just that, kids. The non league environment is full of ex-u18 superstars as are the factories and building sites.

I have personally worked with 3 ex players for England Schoolboys in my career and it isn’t in football. 

6 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Boro will be a test tomorrow very different to the City game last week.. that was my comment. I hope they go up there and do really well but it will be a test and very little room for some of the mistakes made against City and against a team stronger than Mansfield reserves. 

They're all a test but we shouldn't be negative about the wins alongside the losses or we'd all go mad.

We should not get over excited about wins or players the same as we shouldn’t be over critical of losses or players either.

There are recent ex derby academy superstars in normal jobs and kids we released in first teams in the FA Cup today. 

It’s about balance. 

31 minutes ago, Banksy said:

Of course they are developing as they were in the U18s that have turned us around at that level since January. A big part of rebuilding and improving the U21 was that as those deemed ready to move up to the U21 would help to strengthen the U21 side when they got there and so far they have done just that; in the past month they've let no one down and have improved the side whilst also developing. The last thing the academy wants is for the U21 side to finish bottom again this season if it can be avoided. This week, Brown, Thompson and Davidson will probably play in the Youth Cup at Mansfield because the club will want to go as far as they can in that competition but I expect them to be competing for a place in the next PL2 U21 game next month unless their present performances decline. Thompson has been preferred to Ridd on merit and it's up to Ridd to turn that around if he can when he's better. Age isn't everything and performance counts for a lot. As Cloughie always told us, if they're good enough they're old enough and that bit hasn't changed in 50 years. Brown hasn't been considered for the first team squad because of his age, it's because he's the only striker good enough from the academy at present. The way Allen is performing in the U18 side makes me think he may soon feature regularly in the U21 side in the near future and McAndrew may follow now he's back from injury. I'd be very surprised if Bucko is as cautious as you seem to want him to be.

You're being a bit premature with expecting them to step up to the U21s 'soon'. Other than the odd game when U21s are with thr first team, I wouldn't expect so see them feature much. In the 2nd half of the season, we may see a couple of U21s go out on loan, allowing a the U18s more regular game time in the U21s. However, I would also expect Allen, McAndrew, etc to get a full year in the U18s first.

16 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Waghorn stil missing, so Brown is currently 3rd choice CF and should be in the first team squad for the time being

He should be second choice right now, let’s face it. I’d love him to start one of the next two games (probably the midweek game v Wolves kids). Think it’s important to see what he can do alongside other first team squad members when a game isn’t dead. 

27 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

No Jephcott, Robinson, Radcliffe, Davidson or Brown

Radcliffe injured. B Johnson injured. Ridd out with illness. Evans on bench after full 90 with loan club yesterday. Brown and Robinson must be with the first team maybe expect Davidson to travel too. Can’t see Jeffcott with first team but may be wrong. 

0-0 half hour played. 

0-0 at Half-time. Derby were on top throughout the half with several attempts on goal that came to nothing. Carlos Richards, twice, and Lennon Wheeldon missed the best chances. In contrast, Boro had just two attempts of note, hitting a post on the half hour from a shot from distance and forcing Thompson into a save just before the break.

Let's hope we don't come to rue the missed opportunities.

8 minutes ago, Banksy said:

Well said. To go with the first team's 4 against Northampton, the late two at Crewe today and the U21's four against Manchester City last week. Good that some can still show balanced appreciation.

COYR

I’m sorry if I touched a nerve for some reason with you. I have been posting on here a while and most people here I believe would consider my posts to be polite, balanced and fairly positive as well as accurate. Happy to be corrected on that though….

But hey ho that’s up to you. 

Its football opinions differ. 

Edited by Guest
Spelling…