Academy thread 23/24

IlsonDerby

1 hour ago, tinman said:

Hopefully a new manager will trust the academy more than Warne. 

An academy has to be the backbone of a club like Derby - we can't afford to buy players so we need to blood youth for the first team and we need to make money from doing this.

Whoever replaces PW needs to know this from day 1 and have a background of wanting to do this. 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Since Jack Thompson stepped up to the U21 squad, they have won four out of four; beating Chesterfield 1-0, Mansfield 4-0, Stoke 3-2 and Man. City 4-2. Lewis Ridd played at Stoke but Thompson in the other three. He's looked good and seems to have seamlessly bridged the step-up and strengthened the spine of the team. Interestingly, he features in Football Manager 24 as the youngest of the 20 Top young goalkeepers who's ages range from 16-21:

https://www.videogamer.com/guides/football-manager-2024-best-gk-to-sign-fm24/

14 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Brown will head out on loan very soon just up the A61 

Agree.

He needs out in January into men’s football. He starts scoring there week in week out he needs to get a chance to start. 

1 hour ago, Rampant said:

I hear what you're saying @ExiledinDerby about Brown not quite being ready but, in the absence of John-Jules, our striker options are Collins, Waghorn and Washington. 

Surely Brown is worth a place on the bench at the very least? 

There is a massive jump between u21 and first team football. I think he needs mens games first. 

Step 2/3 would be a great grounding for him. A real test to see if he can play against men. 

1 hour ago, ExiledinDerby said:

There is a massive jump between u21 and first team football. I think he needs mens games first. 

Step 2/3 would be a great grounding for him. A real test to see if he can play against men. 

I guess so. I'm pinning my hopes on him being the 'new' Studger.

On 27/10/2023 at 13:20, Ghost of Clough said:

The dream for me would be an entire squad made up of academy graduates. If we had somehow managed to retain everyone, we would currently have the following to choose from:

GK: Ravas, Evans
RB: Bogle, Kellan Gordon
CB: Rooney, Rawson, Bardell
CB: Cashin, Buchanan
LB: Lowe, ABrown, Williams
CM: Hughes, JBrown, DRobinson
CM: Bird, Elsnik, Thompson
CM: Knight, Hendrick, Sibley, Guy
RW: Whittaker, Ebiowei
LW: Ebosele, Kaide Gordon, Kellyman
CF: Delap, Jacobsen, Stretton, Plange, DBrown

Who would make your 23 man squad from those I've listed (or others I may have missed off)? Where do you think it would place in the Championship?

Plus Mason Bennett, Malachi Sharpe, Sekou Kaba, James Scanlon, Kain Ryan and Dubem Eze.

I always rated Timi Max Elsnik.

4 hours ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Important to remember that Thompson struggled in non league but is still definitely an important member of our squad if he does go out and doesn’t set it on fire. 

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Important to remember that Thompson struggled in non league but is still definitely an important member of our squad if he does go out and doesn’t set it on fire. 

Agree but he does need time out there. Thompson benefitted from it though they all do, it’s a massive learning curve. 

Great to see Dajaune Brown make it onto the pitch for 15 minutes on Tuesday. Well deserved and hopefully the first of a few appearances, though interesting to hear he might be heading out to Chesterfield on loan. What a shame he couldn't score, as that sort of thing can make all the difference to your confidence and belief. Maybe he'll get another chance in the FA Cup this weekend?

Interesting to see Rooney say he'd have walked away from Derby if we'd downgraded from Category A. It's a tough balance for a first team manager tasked with promotion and also bringing through youngsters. Great to have academy players on the bench in case we end up in a comfortable position as we did in the week.