Summer Rumour Mill

sage

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Its something even Paul Warne alluded to in one of his interviews. Something along the lines of 'if we could get Collo to spend more time standing between the posts we think he'd score a hatful of goals'.

If we managed to put more than 1 or 2 decent crosses in a game, then maybe he'd spend less time hunting the ball and more time waiting to get on the end of them, eh Paul?

Amazingly, switching to playing actual wingers rather than wingbacks seems to have coincided with getting more crosses in (who'd a thunk it?).  I reckon NML put more decent crosses in the first 45 against Fleetwood than he, Wilson and Ward had managed between them in the previous 4 games (not a criticism of the players, more of the system).  So obviously we dropped Collins and went for players who are less effective in the air than Collins up front. 

9 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Tbf Pep is known to let players go if they want to leave, helps have a happy squad. 

Man City selling has been rather exceptional, they sell just after players reach their peak football wise and have good value still but they always have someone just as good or better arriving at the club 

14 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

If we managed to put more than 1 or 2 decent crosses in a game, then maybe he'd spend less time hunting the ball and more time waiting to get on the end of them, eh Paul?

Amazingly, switching to playing actual wingers rather than wingbacks seems to have coincided with getting more crosses in (who'd a thunk it?).  I reckon NML put more decent crosses in the first 45 against Fleetwood than he, Wilson and Ward had managed between them in the previous 4 games (not a criticism of the players, more of the system).  So obviously we dropped Collins and went for players who are less effective in the air than Collins up front. 

Who would have thought that playing NML at wide right for 65 minutes runs the opposite side ragged then Ward could simply just come on and cross the ball whilst Wilson can play in the Pizza cup 

35 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

IMG_2068.thumb.jpeg.f2001d672239dbce7c38e47bcf85060b.jpeg

Peterborough have had a bid rejected for a striker, they’ve started their pursuit in replacing JCH so

Potential to be one of the biggest wastes of money off the back of a brief purple patch (admittedly a very impressive one, but 0 goal contributions so far this season) since we signed Nick Blackman!

(Or potentially a brilliant piece of business by Peterborough as it's kind of their specialtiy)

9 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

So, as much as I want JCH, go get Al-Hamadi!!

Saves us paying 4x the amount in a couple of years time.

The time to do that would be when he had a trial with our U23s a couple of years ago (...although he may well have ended up a casualty of administration)

These are his career stats to date. Wimbledon want over a million for him. Crazy money if he can't make the step up.

1 million PLUS.JPG

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Had a trial for our U23s in 2021 and scored in his single game. I think us entering administration put a blocker on us signing him.

Is he that lad who came from street football / cage football or whatever it was?

3 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

Potential to be one of the biggest wastes of money off the back of a brief purple patch (admittedly a very impressive one, but 0 goal contributions so far this season) since we signed Nick Blackman!

(Or potentially a brilliant piece of business by Peterborough as it's kind of their specialtiy)

Nick Blackman is currently a free agent. Sign him up.

34 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Is he that lad who came from street football / cage football or whatever it was?

11 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

Think that was Malcolm Ebiowei?

Possibly thinking of Zaid Al-Hussaini who appeared in 2018 (and didn't amount to anything)?

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/zaid-al-hussaini/profil/spieler/619579

Edited by Kokosnuss

15 minutes ago, dcfcjj said:

Richie Barker saying it’ll be quiet and don’t expect much to happen tomorrow.

What a joke.

Whether it’s a genuine comment or a bit of cuteness on Barker’s part, what makes you say “what a joke?”

With the signings made last week we’ve now got a squad of 23 first team players when everyone is fit, and some options in the u21s for cover/cup games etc. I’d say things aren’t as bleak as they were earlier in the summer. Could we do with a couple more? Probably, but I don’t think it’s “a joke” to go with what we’ve got at this point. 

Current Squad 2023/24

GK - Wildsmith

GK - Vickers

GK - Loach

RWB - Ward

RWB - Wilson

LWB - Elder

CB - Bradley

CB - Cashin

CB - Nelson

CB - Forsyth

CB - Rooney

CM - Bird

CM - Hourihane

CM - Smith

CM - Thompson

CM - Fornah

AM/WF - Barkhuizen

AM/WF - Mendez-Laing

AM/WF - Sibley

CF - Collins

CF - Washington

CF - Waghorn

CF - John-Jules

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Whether it’s a genuine comment or a bit of cuteness on Barker’s part, what makes you say “what a joke?”

With the signings made last week we’ve now got a squad of 23 first team players when everyone is fit, and some options in the u21s for cover/cup games etc. I’d say things aren’t as bleak as they were earlier in the summer. Could we do with a couple more? Probably, but I don’t think it’s “a joke” to go with what we’ve got at this point. 

Current Squad 2023/24

Position

Name

GK

Wildsmith

GK

Vickers

GK

Loach

RWB

Ward

RWB

Wilson

LWB

Elder

CB

Bradley

CB

Cashin

CB

Nelson

CB

Forsyth

CB

Rooney

CM

Bird

CM

Hourihane

CM

Smith

CM

Thompson

CM

Fornah

AM/WF

Barkhuizen

AM/WF

Mendez-Laing

AM/WF

Sibley

CF

Collins

CF

Washington

CF

Waghorn

CF

John-Jules

It isn’t a top 2 squad, Warne said it himself.

2 minutes ago, dcfcjj said:

It isn’t a top 2 squad, Warne said it himself.

Don’t think that qualifies your statement of “what a joke”.

It is what it is, a joke would be not having the depth we now do, not having cover in key positions, not having options to play different formations. We do at least have that with the current playing staff, it could be better yes, but it’s not a joke.

Also, Warne’s comments about the squad not being top 2 (3 was what he actually said I think?) predated the signings of the two Ty’s 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram