Star Strikers

jono

Thanking about McG’s status in the pantheon. It’s early days, not enough games to cast something in stone but for me a “star striker” needs 2 things .. 20 goals in a league season and/or a consistent strike rate of 1:2 

Take out the Mess’s and Ronaldo’s and think about the greats of the English game. Rooney and Shearer are both just either side of that line.

Those are the players that make the history books, that we mention to kids in hushed reverent tones. It is the first step in becoming a legend (other criteria are involved in gaining that title) 

Didsy now has 12 in 22 .. He’s getting there and if he stays fit it’s going to be a magical. Can he do it for a full season ? 

21 minutes ago, Srg said:

Don’t think he needs to score to be good either though. He came here never really being an out and our goal scorer, and that’s not massively changed, just he kinda looks like a coach joining in against a kids team at times. 

It’s interesting looking at his career. I had always felt he was a Forest boy for some reason,  but he started at Notts County and his purple patches seemed to be at Ipswich and Coventry with a reasonable stay at the Blades. 

I could be wrong, but I get a genuine sense that he is loving his Indian summer in Derby beyond a bit of south stand lead cheering or being our star turn on match days ? Something about his body language / attitude that is entirely positive with proper depth to it. 

56 minutes ago, jono said:

It’s interesting looking at his career. I had always felt he was a Forest boy for some reason,  but he started at Notts County and his purple patches seemed to be at Ipswich and Coventry with a reasonable stay at the Blades. 

I could be wrong, but I get a genuine sense that he is loving his Indian summer in Derby beyond a bit of south stand lead cheering or being our star turn on match days ? Something about his body language / attitude that is entirely positive with proper depth to it. 

Seem to remember thinking he was a good player for Southampton and a million quid was a good buy when he went to Forest.  I also said Kevin Philips had to be bought for 300k when he left Watford as he would score a bagful of goals.  Also said Trippier would be an absolute steal at 500k and we should nip in when Man City deemed him surplus.  Could have saved us millions over the years.  This scouting larks a piece o piss. 

58 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Definitely grew up a Notts fan. Was big money signing for Red Dogs under Billy and was nicknamed McGoaldrought as he struggled there, obviously they weren’t  intelligent enough to see everything else he does apart from score goals. 

Don’t think he necessarily played in the same manner now as he did then. He’s matured a lot. By his own admission he was quite immature. 

Think he’s loving the family balance being this close to home is giving him, probably why he did so well at Sheff Utd too.