Formula 1 2023 and general Motorsport

RadioactiveWaste

Well now... Sainz is bossing Leclerc and finished P3 in the top slot. Think it's fair to say he's found his mojo and the Ferrari looks balanced and very quick in a straight line. 

Mclaren's renaissance continues at pace with Lando looking every bit the classy driver we know him to be and young Piastri putting in a decent shift for a noob on a tricky circuit. 

Georgie boy seems to have stopped the rot at Mercedes where the old guy had been schooling him this season and looks super racy in a Mercedes that does seem to be improving incrementally. It's good to see them unlocking some of car's potential given it handled like a boat early on.

Hammy has failed to lay a glove on George in these most recent duels and like Leclerc, seems a bit subdued. I'm not entirely sure Lewis loves these street circuits anymore.

As for Max... 

Verstappen spent most of the session complaining over the team radio about upshifts.

At one point, the Dutchman said he “couldn’t drive with these upshifts” and described the situation as “unacceptable”.

He jumped up from sixth to fourth with a final lap, completed after Red Bull had called him in to “try something on the upshifts”, but said the problem, while improved, was still there.

“It’s not just the upshifts,” he told race engineer Giampiero Lambiase, “it’s also the downshifts - it’s giving me wheelspin.”

He also said he was still “struggling for rear grip”, as he had been on Friday, and said he felt like he was "in a drifting competition". (BBC Sport)

Marvellous! 😂 

10 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Well now... Sainz is bossing Leclerc and finished P3 in the top slot. Think it's fair to say he's found his mojo and the Ferrari looks balanced and very quick in a straight line. 

Mclaren's renaissance continues at pace with Lando looking every bit the classy driver we know him to be and young Piastri putting in a decent shift for a noob on a tricky circuit. 

Georgie boy seems to have stopped the rot at Mercedes where the old guy had been schooling him this season and looks super racy in a Mercedes that does seem to be improving incrementally. It's good to see them unlocking some of car's potential given it handled like a boat early on.

Hammy has failed to lay a glove on George in these most recent duels and like Leclerc, seems a bit subdued. I'm not entirely sure Lewis loves these street circuits anymore.

As for Max... 

Verstappen spent most of the session complaining over the team radio about upshifts.

At one point, the Dutchman said he “couldn’t drive with these upshifts” and described the situation as “unacceptable”.

He jumped up from sixth to fourth with a final lap, completed after Red Bull had called him in to “try something on the upshifts”, but said the problem, while improved, was still there.

“It’s not just the upshifts,” he told race engineer Giampiero Lambiase, “it’s also the downshifts - it’s giving me wheelspin.”

He also said he was still “struggling for rear grip”, as he had been on Friday, and said he felt like he was "in a drifting competition". (BBC Sport)

Marvellous! 😂 

Aw, poor baby, did they take the fancy flexi-wings off your car?

Although Max has been whinging about the upshifts all season, it's just much more amusing when hes doing it and also being slow.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

I absolutely loved the moment max was out in Q2.

I don't think I'm the only one.

It was also nice to have a Q3 that didn't end with "oh it's tense and exiti....oh max has pole by half a second"

I'm loving how good Carlos is driving and looking forward to a race that isn't caveated"it's fantastic behind max Verstappen "

18 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation...but first weekend the scrutineering clamps down on flexible aero devices red bull struggling all weekend and kicked out of Q2.

Hummmmm...........

Mercedes had a mare in Singapore as well in 2015 for no apparent reason.

Horner has said the TD hasn't affected them.

Maybe it just is one of those odd tracks.

5 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Mercedes had a mare in Singapore as well in 2015 for no apparent reason.

Horner has said the TD hasn't affected them.

Maybe it just is one of those odd tracks.

That is still possible.

So, what a race that was.

Right up until Geogey boy ran out of talent. But seriously, there was some good racing amongst the top 5 at the end there after Ocon's car broke down and both Mercs pitted whilst Lando and the Ferrari's stayed out.

Further back, verstappen got up to 5th, whilst Perez got up to 8th with Checo, as usual, making everything look a lot harder than his team mate. Then Gasly, Pistri, Perez, Lawson (get him in 24) and K-mags (woo hoo, a point for Haas).

Bad day for Fernando. Annoyingly just out the points for Albon, everyone else meh or broke down. Lance didn't even start which after a high speed crash is probably best not to risk.

That was a great race for all bar the Verstopon fanbois. Sainz was excellent and good value for the win and that Ferrari is rapid, but there was plenty going on through the field and having 4 cars within 2 seconds of one another on the final lap was a rare, but welcome sight. 

Georgie boy though! What a plonker. Dropped the lot when it was all going so well... 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

21 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

So, what a race that was.

Best race for a long while IMHO. Podium positions occupied by 3 different manufacturers and Verstappen and Red Bull nowhere to be seen. Great to see 3 cars still locked in a tussle round the last bend and 5 different cars in the top 6 - what a refreshing change. I've wandered off from so many races this year (even fell asleep during one!) but this one had me on the edge of my seat right up to the line. Probably too much to ask for any repeat, sadly..

29 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

Best race for a long while IMHO. Podium positions occupied by 3 different manufacturers and Verstappen and Red Bull nowhere to be seen. Great to see 3 cars still locked in a tussle round the last bend and 5 different cars in the top 6 - what a refreshing change. I've wandered off from so many races this year (even fell asleep during one!) but this one had me on the edge of my seat right up to the line. Probably too much to ask for any repeat, sadly..

It's all the dull races that make the good ones stand out.

I can still appreciate the level of competition in the dull races, but, they're still dull.

2 hours ago, ram59 said:

It'll be interesting to see if RB's problems are circuit specific or whether they continue for the rest of the season. If they do continue, it will be similar situation to when Ferrari were caught out a few years back.

Some suggestion it was circuit specific (had to run a high ride height due to bumpy track) and that they should be back on it next weekend. We will know soon enough.

18 hours ago, metalsheep02 said:

Some suggestion it was circuit specific (had to run a high ride height due to bumpy track) and that they should be back on it next weekend. We will know soon enough.

All the F1 pundits are buying into it being just Singapore and expecting the RB19 to be back to itself at Suzuka.

I still pray to the racing gods to smite the Marko/Horner/Verstappen triad, but it may be we have to go back to hoping the other teams catch up next season.