Formula 1 2023 and general Motorsport

RadioactiveWaste

I suppose I aught to say congratulations to Max Verstappen on his 3rd title.

He's basically done nothing wrong the entire season and made the most out of a dominant car and got it dusted with plenty to spare. It's hard to feel much about it with it having been inevitable for so long. Kind if fitting it was confirmed by Perez in 10th getting involved in a crash.

I'm annoyed that his rival teams and drivers haven't mounted any meaningful challenge, especially Perez who started the season so well then completely 💩 it.

As it always is with F1 it's the job of Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren and the others to be better and to beat him, just as it was when Lewis was dominant, or Schumacher.

Anyway, race today.

38 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I suppose I aught to say congratulations to Max Verstappen on his 3rd title.

He's basically done nothing wrong the entire season and made the most out of a dominant car and got it dusted with plenty to spare. It's hard to feel much about it with it having been inevitable for so long. Kind if fitting it was confirmed by Perez in 10th getting involved in a crash.

I'm annoyed that his rival teams and drivers haven't mounted any meaningful challenge, especially Perez who started the season so well then completely 💩 it.

As it always is with F1 it's the job of Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren and the others to be better and to beat him, just as it was when Lewis was dominant, or Schumacher.

Anyway, race today.

Race today potentially with additional rules due to concerns over the tyres - maximum of 20 laps on a set of tyres and each driver to carry out at least 3 tyre changes - dependent upon the data coming from yesterday's sprint. Could make it a bit more interesting....

6 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Race today potentially with additional rules due to concerns over the tyres - maximum of 20 laps on a set of tyres and each driver to carry out at least 3 tyre changes - dependent upon the data coming from yesterday's sprint. Could make it a bit more interesting....

Yes, everyone 3 stopping would add the potential for drama. Given it's been brought about by an issue on the tyre life I don't think they'll be too much strategy going on with it beyond "do the oposite of the guy in front" when it gets to tyre change time. The soft runners were all dropping fast at the end of the sprint.

I'm not a massive fan of mandatory pit stops in F1 (when they're artifically trying to spice things up) but as this is driven by a safety concern there's no argument.

55 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

Hard to not like Piastri. Very happy to see both McLaren's on the podium there. Not a bad race. Maybe we can stop going to countries where driver health and safety is at risk due to the heat? Unlikely. 

Crazy really that they didn't take account of the heat - when MotoGP was in India a few weeks back they reduced the length of the race after the riders raised concerns because it was so hot - and even then Jorge Martin (one of the leading riders) drifted off the track towards the end due to exhaustion - when he got back to the pits he has to helped off his bike.....

3 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Hard to not like Piastri. Very happy to see both McLaren's on the podium there. Not a bad race. Maybe we can stop going to countries where driver health and safety is at risk due to the heat? Unlikely. 

All about the $$$$ they'd have one in antarcitca if the penguines shoved enough money their way.

2 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Meh! They weren't even under rocket attack this time 🪖

Ouch. Although Azerbaijan had a little episode recently that's upset armenia so maybe next season.

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Crazy really that they didn't take account of the heat - when MotoGP was in India a few weeks back they reduced the length of the race after the riders raised concerns because it was so hot - and even then Jorge Martin (one of the leading riders) drifted off the track towards the end due to exhaustion - when he got back to the pits he has to helped off his bike.....

Whatever criticism of Logan Sargent is made, I have absolutly none for him retiring from this race. He clearly was unfit to continue at that point and did the right thing instead of ending up hurting himself or someone else, not easy when your seat is very much on the line.

You made a good point about MotoGP - although even then it was the riders who had to push for it.

7 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm sure at some point he said something along the lines of

"if I you give you some money, make this go away"

"Well you could pay your taxes due"

"NO!"

Along with at some point

"oh i'm very old I don't remember saying any of that"

Poor old bugger, it seems dementia set in right at the eve of his trial 🤐

7 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Poor old bugger, it seems dementia set in right at the eve of his trial 🤐

It's known as Nicola Sturgeon syndrom - as soon as someone tries to hold you to account, you can't remember anything at all.....

Must be tough for old Bernie though - fancy losing track of over £400M...bit like the rest of us losing a fiver down the back of the sofa.

Baby Stroll has decided an apology might be in order. I think so too, as even in the world of billionaire playboys, you can't really physically shove your staff members around anymore, or even be putting hands on them at all. Incredibly inconvenient as it may be, it's now frowned upon.

In all seriousness though, I do wonder at what point the team's sponsors get twitchy and bring a little pressure to bear? He seems to be imploding to me.

From the Beeb:

Aston Martin driver Lance Stroll has apologised to motorsport's governing body for his behaviour after qualifying at last weekend's F1 Qatar Grand Prix.

Stroll threw his steering wheel out of his car and shoved his trainer out of the way after qualifying 16th.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/67106449

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Baby Stroll has decided an apology might be in order. I think so too, as even in the world of billionaire playboys, you can't really physically shove your staff members around anymore, or even be putting hands on them at all. Incredibly inconvenient as it may be, it's now frowned upon.

In all seriousness though, I do wonder at what point the team's sponsors get twitchy and bring a little pressure to bear? He seems to be imploding to me.

From the Beeb:

Aston Martin driver Lance Stroll has apologised to motorsport's governing body for his behaviour after qualifying at last weekend's F1 Qatar Grand Prix.

Stroll threw his steering wheel out of his car and shoved his trainer out of the way after qualifying 16th.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/67106449

Much as Daddy Stroll is the team owner, if Aramco is your main sponsor you're not immune to their wishes and I doubt they'd be happy with the team dropping down the onstructors standings due to an underperforming second driver.

Well, as we look forward to COTA for the US grand Prix there are still many things to be excited about.

Well, ok, that might be pushing it. But there's the ongoing "Helmut Marko's the passion of of the Checo" which is moving towards Perez looking up to sky Horner saying "why hast thou forsaken me?"

Related, Danny Ric is back. Not sure how well healed his wrist is but you can understand from Dan's point of view he's surely thinking a red bull next year is very much on the cards.

However the best story was promotional posters for the grand Prix had Aston Martin reserve driver Felipe Drugovich and Aston Martin driver Fernando Alonso.....