Formula 1 2023 and general Motorsport

RadioactiveWaste

7 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Well I guess to some extents, it's normal service resumed. I think in race trim, they may not see which way Max went, but I think it's fair to say that the gap has closed a tad. In fairness to the man-baby, that final quali lap was up there with Hamilton in Singapore in 2018. Pains me to say it, but it was deeply impressive.

I'll second RAW's doff of the cap to Piastri. Future world champion right there. Lawson so unlucky. Ran out of soft boots for Q3 and struggled accordingly, but how well did he go up to that point. He's another that leaps off the page and it's grand to see so many talented young drivers coming through. If Liberty don't f*** it up, the future could be bright in terms of competitive racing.

The Sargent experiment needs aborting. I don't see him making the grade, not even close. Yuki showed more this week, but I think in some ways he's been a bit fortunate to retain his seat. he is blindingly quick at times, but if I were his manager I'd be sitting him down and making it abundantly clear that he's in the last chance saloon now, with a season and a bit left to prove he's not just another also-ran. I do like him though and I hope he can knuckle down.

The highlight for me is the continued resurgence of sleeping giant McLaren. When you think back to the first few races, the transformation has been nothing short of miraculous. You can sense a few bums twitching at Mercedes.

McLaren back on top in 2025 I reckon

Apparenty Mr Honda had a word to say about Yuki's future. By which I mean a word and some money. That and just how box office Danny's "million dollar smile" is at the exact time Red Bull group are getting less keen on giving Horner and Marko infinate money with no questions asked is a bit of a downer for Lawson.

10 minutes ago, davenportram said:

McLaren back on top in 2025 I reckon

I could see (and would love to see) them getting race wins but i fear McLaren are in the group of teams who are going to pin hopes on getting the rule changes in 2026 right to mount a title challenge (I think Aston Martin and possibly Alpine, but I'm less convinced about Alpine, are in that group. Then there's the case of Suaber becoming Audi in 2026, with only Ferrari and Mercedes likely to keep up major development in 24 and 25). Actually, i just mainly fear RB are going to dominate until the 2026 rule changes.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I could see (and would love to see) them getting race wins but i fear McLaren are in the group of teams who are going to pin hopes on getting the rule changes in 2026 right to mount a title challenge (I think Aston Martin and possibly Alpine, but I'm less convinced about Alpine, are in that group. Then there's the case of Suaber becoming Audi in 2026, with only Ferrari and Mercedes likely to keep up major development in 24 and 25). Actually, i just mainly fear RB are going to dominate until the 2026 rule changes.

I think RB may well dominate until adrian retires

20 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He said after that he just kept his foot in........like....wow...in a not good way......

I'm not being funny but 7th in the constructors championship would be huge for Williams and if Sargent costs them that I'll be pretty annoyed.

Completely agree on impact on the team.....the thing that might enable Sarg to retain his seat is the two upcoming races in the US. If Ric is back at the next race I hope Williams are asking whether Lawson is available.

I'm livid at red bull this morning.

Sending Perez back out just to serve a penalty was pure taking the piss. They might have fixed the car to be safe enough to do it but rejoining after so much of the race missed just adds a potential risk to everyone who wasn't parked.

I know red bull didn't break any rules by doing this but it's offensive to anyone who cares about motorsports being run properly. It's not so much on the sporting side and avoiding a 3 place grid drop that I'm annoyed as it is putting the driver out there into a race that the car is completely irrelevant to creating a potential risk that doesn't need to be there.

"Celebrate red bull winning the constructors championship by reminding everyone why you're such a hateful team"

Even brawn era Ferrari wouldn't have pulled this.

52 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm livid at red bull this morning.

Sending Perez back out just to serve a penalty was pure taking the piss. They might have fixed the car to be safe enough to do it but rejoining after so much of the race missed just adds a potential risk to everyone who wasn't parked.

I know red bull didn't break any rules by doing this but it's offensive to anyone who cares about motorsports being run properly. It's not so much on the sporting side and avoiding a 3 place grid drop that I'm annoyed as it is putting the driver out there into a race that the car is completely irrelevant to creating a potential risk that doesn't need to be there.

"Celebrate red bull winning the constructors championship by reminding everyone why you're such a hateful team"

Even brawn era Ferrari wouldn't have pulled this.

Agree entirely - massive piss-take from Red Bull - there may not be a rule that prevents it, but there should be! Completely against the spirit of the competition.....

4 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Agree entirely - massive piss-take from Red Bull - there may not be a rule that prevents it, but there should be! Completely against the spirit of the competition.....

There should be a rule that teams have to declare when a car is retired and/or any penalty given by stewards after a car is reversed into a garage is served in the next race.

this will also stop extra “tests” where cars are sent out with different set ups to farm data

Perez is a donkey. He was always likable but his constant excuses and talent for making Max look even better than he is makes me angry. 

We keep saying RB have a great car. We need to emphasise "car". Perez is clearly in some test version from last summer. Lewis might just pinch runner up. 

Imagine. Merc have not even had a top 3 car in a good chunk of the season. They've had to watch Aston Martin, Ferrari and McLaren jump them at points. But still Lewis coming from the pack is catching Perez. 

2023 is the year he's got away with murder. 

Do reckon peeling off stickers will reveal a third Alpha Tauri?

Edited by Alpha

11 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Perez is a donkey. He was always likable but his constant excuses and talent for making Max look even better than he is makes me angry. 

We keep saying RB have a great car. We need to emphasise "car". Perez is clearly in some test version from last summer. Lewis might just pinch runner up. 

Imagine. Merc have not even had a top 3 car in a good chunk of the season. They've had to watch Aston Martin, Ferrari and McLaren jump them at points. But still Lewis coming from the pack is catching Perez. 

2023 is the year he's got away with murder. 

Do reckon peeling off stickers will reveal a third Alpha Tauri?

To be honest, I can't mount any defense of his driving today and he was pretty bad last week in Singapore. You don't get a decade long career in F1 without being pretty decent but he's pulling the kind of moves we'd all rightly pan rookie drivers for.

There are also apparently some more fundamental issues with "why" Perez (who won two races fair and sqaure at the start of the season) just can't get what Max does out of the car. And whilst I've never really bought it that red bull were doing checo down on the car front, I did very much get the vibe support wasn't exactly free flowing from the red bull higher ups when he did think he was in with a shout.

This channel also did a good video on why Danny Ricciardo drowned at McLaren and on Max's very Schumacher driving style.

I honsetly think he should start thinking about going to race in WEC, he'd get the family time he wants and I do think endurence racing would suit his tyre managment and his qualifying pace wouldn't matter so much. Even if he does stay at red bull next season, he's got to know he's not going to be the champion with Max there. And then you remember Danny ric flounced out of red bull when he realised he wasn't as good as Max 5 years ago and hasn't really sown he got better since, Yuki I'm not sure I'd trust wth the job and which better drivers are going to sign up to "be Bottas"? (maybe they should just sign Bottas?)

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Alpine had been far too quiet and harmonious since the culling of the management at Spa, perhaps this can be the start of an hilarious falling out.

I'm sensing those midfield bumper car sessions you and I thought might occur this season are now definitely back on the cards. Two irate and fighty Frenchies mid-pack would certainly pique my interest 😂

12 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

I'm sensing those midfield bumper car sessions you and I thought might occur this season are now definitely back on the cards. Two irate and fighty Frenchies mid-pack would certainly pique my interest 😂

I feel like Ocon was the kind of kid that would push over other kids Lego towers. 

15 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I feel like Ocon was the kind of kid that would push over other kids Lego towers. 

His driving has never lacker what we'll refer to here as "assertiveness" - he didn't give a second thought to putting Alonso in the wall when he was a team mate and I was shocked at how amicable they were publicly after the incident in Australia.