Formula 1 2023 and general Motorsport

RadioactiveWaste

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Well, I'm not ITK or anything,but it'd be "unexpected" if it turns out it's Haas and Sauber who get caught out by this.

And red bull giving you flexi-wings has been known in the past.

Yeah, I gotcha RAW, just being silly. That said, if it does turn out to be RBR....😋

Happy Jonah Hill GIF

Just now, Comrade 86 said:

Yeah, I gotcha RAW, just being silly. That said, if it does turn out to be RBR....😋

Happy Jonah Hill GIF

It'll be red bull. If for no other reason than "viewership is dropping because max is so far ahead, quick let's hobble them to make it more interesting" and the FIA have form for letting things go unnoticed if it's suiting the product.

One thing I'm interested by is if the gap between Perez and max returns to its early season size after the revisions.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

One thing I'm interested by is if the gap between Perez and max returns to its early season size after the revisions.

I've been having similar thoughts. Top driver that the manchild is, I'm not sure the gulf between those two cars can be explained by talent alone. All seemed to happen when Perez was sat a handful of points behind Verstappen too. It's a nice conspiracy theory, if nothing else! 

Edited by Comrade 86
typos

Just now, Comrade 86 said:

I've been having similar thoughts. Top driver that the manchild is, I'm not sure the gulf between those two cars can be explained by talent alone. All seemed to happen when Peraez was sat a handful of point behind Verstappen too. It's a nice consiracy theory, if nothing else! 

Perez is nowhere near as bad a driver as the gap to verstappen is making him look. OK Perez is a good midfield driver with occasional very good days and max is genuinely world class, but it's seemed to me there's something more to it.

Although of course, I think most people would agree that both Gasly and Albon aren't the hopeless drivers red bull made them look.

I also think the team probably weren't that supportive when he was in with a shout at the start of the season I think Marko and Jos (why is Max's dad so influential in red bull racing anyway??!) were very keen to have that stomped on. Horner has been less critical but then I think Perez was always Horner's choice and not Marko's.

6 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-hamilton-signs-contract-extension-mercedes/

2 years for Lewis.

Georgey Boy won't be going anywhere for a while.

Lets hope Mercedes sort their car out next year.

I so hope Merc can fix up their car and give Lewis a car worthy of his driving skills. It will be a travesty if he doesn't get the 8th given the circumstances of 21. 

33 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Where are you reading this mate?

Lot of stuff on youtube bud. There's a guy who's uploaded video of the RBR / Merc / Ferrari and one other car I think (Aston?), showing the degree of flex under hard breaking, first, through a corner and then flat out down a straight. Same close-up for all cars. Of course they all flex, that's within the rules, but both RBR and, I'm sad to say, Mercedes wings flex more than the others. A lot more.

Just tried to find the vid again but can't, but there's quite a lot of stuff from F1 youtube pages. It's a bit depressing tbh, but essentially teams seem to have found a means to beat the static weight test, whilst getting far more flex under actual race conditions.

F1 teams are some sneaky bar stewards!

30 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Sorry @Andicis just spent 20 minutes looking for it and I can't find the fecker. 

@RadioactiveWaste have you seen the videos mate? Think they originated from someone called Slipstream Sam or Jack? If you have, can you point Andicis at them please?

Let me have a look.

Can't see it yet on any of the "trustworthy" (very "inverted commas") F1 youtube channels, and as it's probably a case of they pass current scruitineering but might not pass the updated test, the only way us punters will know is some teams lose a chunk of pace. My guess on RBR up the thread is totally on "it's a very red bull thing to do" but if it's a few others I'd not be surprised.

F1 content on youtube does tend to get copyright strike a lot from FOM/Liberty and if it's anything potentially bad for the brand, you can be sure they'll be watching.

No one's getting penalties, just some parts are going to be changed before singapoor.

28 minutes ago, davenportram said:

Thing is we won’t really know who. There won’t be any announcement, punishment etc.. it will just look like other teams have improved slightly 

Half agree. Pretty sure we'll know who were the prime offenders, but like you, I just don't see any meaningful punishments being meted out. Teams will get a flea in their ear, told to run less bendy wings and then on we go with the show, but F1 isn't typically very good at keeping secrets and the FIA doesn't seem to care about whether they look impotent or not. 

10 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Vamos Carlos!

Hopefully one of the ferarris can give max a love tap at turn 1, instead of max cruising away and the race being for p2.

Any thoughts on whether RBR might already be using an 'amended' aero package? 😂

Good to see the Red cars putting it up to the Belgian in any case. 

What's up with Hammy?

1 minute ago, Comrade 86 said:

Any thoughts on whether RBR might already be using an 'amended' aero package? 😂

Good to see the Red cars putting it up to the Belgian in any case. 

What's up with Hammy?

Didn't watch qualifying so didn't see if there were any mistakes from anyone.

Monza spec tends to be minimal aero anyway so i doubt we'll get any insight into the flexi-wings until Singapoor.

NGL I expect the Ferarris to spend tomorrow going backwards, and even if their race pace is good, there's still the fear that ferarri just gonna ferarri.

You'd like to think Lewis has sacrificed quali pace for race trim whilst george went for the best qualifying set up, but who knows. I kinda suspect Hamilton didn't get everything he wanted in that contract but he still wants to win.

Shout out to Liam Lawson though, within a spit of Yuki in his second race and hopefully puts in a good shift and gives AT/RB a decision to make for the next race.

Well....boooooooooooooooo

Tsunoda broke down on the formation lap, delaying the start.

Sainz made a real good fight of it for 15 laps but after the inevitable happened it was game over.

But the hard work wasn't over for poor Carlos who then continue his magnificent defending against Perez and then yet more against his team mate.

So glad he held onto P3, it was well deserved.

Kinda ropey drives from both mercedes picking up needless penalties.

Albon performing heroics to bring the Williams home P7.

Everyone else, but meh. Nothing that interesting happened. Bottas managed to get a point for Sauber but we didn't see any of it. Sargent got a penalty but I forget what for. Liam Lawson didn't 💩 The bed but didn't do anything amazing.