Formula 1 2023 and general Motorsport

RadioactiveWaste

17 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

New schedule (Aussie times):

F83MXypWgAAoBEJ.thumb.jpeg.3e4a98c2828efde0bc702e0205e5e614.jpeg

I guess that's based on scrubbing the sprint race being less problematic for dorna contractually?

It still seems mad to me how little actual racing you get at MotoGP compared to superbikes, I know the standard is a whole different level but a bit more in terms of support races might help ticket sales.

Although the Qatar GP "only F1 no other racing" was a low point for experience value I think.

USGP first practice is on now.

And I'd forgot it was a sprint weekend, so qualifying for the grand prix is tonight at 10.00

I really don't like the Friday-sunday split in the current sprint format, i get the idea is they'd sell track tickets for "sprint saturday" but I really think practice (long)-sprint quali friday, then practice (short)-quali (GP)-sprint on saturday and Grand Prix on Sunday would work better, still give the punters something competetive on Friday and make saturday worth visiting the track for.

but i don't run F1.

Well, that was a great effort from Perez to be within 1 tenth of Max in Qualifying. Everyone stuck the boot into checo for getting qualifying laps deleted for track limits, so, fairs fair, Max badly underperformed and I'll expect Marko to start making comments about the dutch any time now.

And Leclerc, Norris, Hamilton, Sainz and Russell all start ahead of Max, so Sunday's race might be exciting for 3 or 4 laps.

Spring qualifying is at 6.30PM, sprint race is at 11.00PM

5 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Without wanting to spoil it for anyone who still wants to catchup on the highlights, the MotoGP race was tremendous - 5 riders fighting for the win going into the final couple of laps - if only F1 could find a way of making the racing so unpredictable

I've not caught up with the MotoGP yet, but will add once I have done.

8 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Without wanting to spoil it for anyone who still wants to catchup on the highlights, the MotoGP race was tremendous - 5 riders fighting for the win going into the final couple of laps - if only F1 could find a way of making the racing so unpredictable

WIll be watching that after the GP. Good to know one of the two isn't a procession.

Although there are mumblings that some F1 things are finding their way into motogp (this is from things said on the race's motogp podcast and others over the last couple of years) like: Not being able to follow because of the aero, tyres that don't let you race because they're to sensitive to canges in heat/pressure, the sport becoming to expensive for manufacturers to want to be involved (no Suzuki, no Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda not being what they once were, BMW not interested) looming Ducati dominance of the sport.

Don't get me wrong MotoGP is great and by far the highest standard of bike racing (WSB is miles away) and it's done a lot of things right, it's just that they do need to be mindful of the direction they take it over the coming years.

Well, the bad news is Mercedes butchered a win there. The good news, with the latest upgrades, they now have a very fast car.

In other news, Verstappen spent the last 20 laps effin and blinding at his lead engineer as usual. Apparently the car that's broken every record as the most dominant car in F1 history is a ' f****** piece of s***'.

Proper sausage 😂

1 more lap.....darn it.

In other news, are Ferrari just doing this 💩 to troll Leclerc at this point?

Good effort from Norris, Sainz and by his own underwhelming standards Perez (well, was disappointing rather than embarrasing), Leclerc hung out to dry, Russell not  great race, Gasley done OK as did baby srtoll who was only a plce or two behind Alonso as they made their way back up the field. However, my shout out goes to Yuki Tsnuoda for getting a point for 10th and a point for fastest lap.

16 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Both Hamilton and Leclerc disqualified after their cars failed a physical floor and plank wear inspection after the race…..

I think this is most likely the track surface at COTA rather than anything intentional from either Merc or Ferrari. There's been lots of problems with it, the MotoGP riders were close to boycotting it one year, it's to do with the soil under and water flows apparently.

Pretty disappointing, but inevitable - fail scrutineering and your dead.

Still point for Logan Sargent I guess.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think this is most likely the track surface at COTA rather than anything intentional from either Merc or Ferrari. There's been lots of problems with it, the MotoGP riders were close to boycotting it one year, it's to do with the soil under and water flows apparently.

Pretty disappointing, but inevitable - fail scrutineering and your dead.

Still point for Logan Sargent I guess.

I hope they are investigating more than 4 cars after 2 were found in breach, Merc said that the lack of free practice time as well as the sprint race itself impacted it as well as the track itself. Can't believe they would be the only 2.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I hope they are investigating more than 4 cars after 2 were found in breach, Merc said that the lack of free practice time as well as the sprint race itself impacted it as well as the track itself. Can't believe they would be the only 2.

It's possible that the set up on those two cars ended up with the plank wearing more then others, I suspect it's probably a case of those two had 0.01mm (a guess, but a small amount) too much wear and lots of other cars within by a similarly small amount. But the measurement is pass/fail.

Although it'd be fun if they found a bunch more cars to DSQ (I'd sandpaper a red bull for free......)

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

This weekend sees us travel to Mexico, as you probably know by now, the home of Checo Perez (because commentators refer to him being mexican all the blooming time).

Whilst most of us are probably expecting an easy win for Max Verstappen, a crushing triumph for the Dutchman would probably not be popular with the crowd, as red bull have announced they are hiring bodyguards for Max this weekend. I'd hope the team have not let Marko go, he's probably persona non Grata in Mexico...

Mercedes seem to think the DSQ isn't an issue and their car should be quick going forwards and there's been a lot of muttering that loads more drivers exceeded track limits at COTA than got strikes for them, apparently due to the monitoring cameras not being well aligned to see the corner at turn 6.

And will Ferrari find a way to screw over one or both drivers?

Whilst I've had some issues with Max, I've got to say I agree with him on this. I'm not a great fan of the sprints, or, to be more accurate the way they are implemented and I do think it probably contributed to the plank issue Lewis and Charles had (same as I agree with Lewis of they'd looked at more cars, I'm sure they'd have had to DSQ more cars).

https://www.planetf1.com/news/max-verstappen-lewis-hamilton-disqualification-us-gp