Formula 1 2023 and general Motorsport

RadioactiveWaste

On 05/08/2023 at 12:19, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's probably off everyone's radar with the season opening, F1 gone on holiday and ITV dropping it's option to cover live (to have the charity shield match on) but this weekend is the British round of MotoGP.

And it's wet.

Sprint could be carnage.

Hmmm Charity Shield? Is that the one that changed its name to Community Shield 21 years ago? 😄

14 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm not sure when the highlights go out, although you can get the whole thing on the itv website and resort to a lot of skipping forward if you really want. I'd guess they'll be out at some point this week.

5 minutes ago, metalsheep02 said:

I think they are on ITV 3 or 4 Saturday morning, around 9am.

Thanks chaps. Been watching them on Youtube but have found them on ITVx too now. 

So after a nice summer holiday, F1 is back this week.

It's the Dutch Grand Prix at Zaandvort so be prepared for so much orange it gives phil brown a stiffy.

Lets be honest, no one looks like getting close to Maz this season, but, the racing gods will turn on him at somepoint so it might as well be this weekend - a puncture, a nudge by someone being lapped, engine failure, suspension failure, who knows?

With no shocking driver moves and Alpine deciding to start their summer chaos early by sacking Otmar mid-Belgium GP it's been surprisingly quiet, but we're all (well I am) keen to see how the holiday has affected the teams in terms of updates and progress.

Will Mclaren still be trying to get in on the bigger points, will Aston have sorted out thier upgrades and balance, have Ferrari...nah, Ferrari gonna Ferrari whatever, is Merc genuinly the second fastest team for the rest of the year.

Also, how's Danny going to look having had a few weeks more with the Alpha Tauri team and a couple of races worth of data to look at?

Some Alpha Tauri related drama, Danny Ric has broken his hand in a crash in FP2. He was avoiding the stranded McLaren of Piastri who'd spun a few seconds earlier at turn 3. Looks from the onboard he saw the car quite late and couldn't really do much else - wasn't a bad looking crash (the sort we all expect some grumpy mechanics but no big deal) but probably the steering wheel did the damage.

Liam Lawson just been announced for the rest of the Dutch GP.

Good luck to Liam, not an easy step in with 1 practice tomorrow then qualifying. I'm sure exectations are set to "just don't wreck/embarras yourself" but with Danny likely out a couple of races with the fracture it could be Liam's chance to bag a seat next year.

Qualifying

Wet session drama galore!

that of course ended with Max on pole.

However, he's floowed by Lando and Russell and ALEX ALBON! then Alonso, Sainz and Perez (disappointing, but at least he didn't 💩 the bed I suppose) then Piastri, Leclerc (who crashed) and Sargent (who crashed, but getting to Q3 for the first time)

Lewis had an unfortunate exit in Q2 to start P13 and Liam Lawson qualified last, but given he stepped in with only Q3 in the car I don't think it'd fair to pass judgment.

So, assuming neither Lando or Georgie boy decide to punt Max off at turn 1, it looks like the standard "it'll be a great race behind Max"

Particually the Lando v George, how high can Albon hang, how high will Lewis and Checo get from their poor qualifying, how are the Astons and the Ferraris shake out etc.

Hopefully the Dutch love of orange flares will be curtiled and for once this season the racing gods won't shine on Christian Horner's irritating face.

32 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

British Touring cars live on ITV4 starting at 11.15 for the whole days racing from Donington Park.

3 BTCC races, F4, Porsche cup, ginnettas, mini cup. Probably more entertaining than Max gently drives around in a haze of orange flares.

And Incycar later tonight - been more exciting than F1 this year and quite a few drivers who have progressed through F1 / F2

Well, it was quite fun (behind Max).

Well done to Fernando and Gasley in particular, and also shout outs for Alex Albon and Liam Lawson for putting in a decent efort.

Disappointing day for Checo (again), Russell (bad strategy), Tsunodo (looked to be getting points but his team ruined it for him).

Even worse day for Charles Leclerc, was having a horrible time until he retired, and for Danny Ric as his replacment did well and we know what Dr Marko likes doing more than anything...