Glazers, beginning of the end ?

jono

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

Back in the playground years, man utd was always the easy team to support. Even when they weren't winning everything, they were the popular team. I'm talking mid to late 70s, early 80s. It was like a fashion brand. 

It was probably worse in the late 60s with the sympathy from the Busby babes/Munich and winning the European Cup in 68. Add names like Bobby Charlton and Best to the mix as well….

1 hour ago, jono said:

Were they any good ? Trying to remember once old heavy leather ones vanished. Removable studs were a thing but I bet you just have multiple pairs with varying lengths, Nephew had blade shaped studs a while back and I remember seeing the documentary about predators at the end of the 70’s early eighties ? … with the contact patch on the upper surface.
Need a new topic !

What are the RR of footy boots today ? I wonder if we have reached the stage where there’s nothing new under the sun (I am old ! ?

Right .. off to Google to explore

Didn't the ex Liverpool Aussie, Craig Johnston, invent the Predator boot?

20 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

It was probably worse in the late 60s with the sympathy from the Busby babes/Munich and winning the European Cup in 68. Add names like Bobby Charlton and Best to the mix as well….

Remember QVC? Albert Quixall, Denis Viollet and Charlton

Edited by Phoenix

21 hours ago, jono said:

I always cringe a bit when United are called “Manure” on here.
1 v 1 I would always want a DCFC win but United were my introduction to the great game and I have always followed them. I was born within 10 miles of the ground, they are where I came from. The Glazers represent everything I loath about the top flight. Levered money, “franchise” “business model” “matchday experience” “stakeholders” . All from the vomit factory that understands so little about what a football club means to it’s real supporters.

I just hope these trailer park, wide boy, loan shark stain on the game are going elsewhere with their borrowed asset stripping money

God bless David Clowes. I don’t care that we can’t buy our league or whether we get promoted this season, I care that someone did something for love of the club and what it is and means to our city, rather than a balance sheet or an ego. 

i

@jono I used to hold you in such high regard. Come on even that kit these days is just wrong. 

Just now, SKRam said:

@jono I used to hold you in such high regard. Come on even that kit these days is just wrong. 

That’s another reason why we should ALWAYS have white socks for home kit. Theirs is an abomination…. (Forgive the Blue Moon influence) 

2 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Have always had a soft spot for them as I’m old enough to have seen the Busby babes play.

2 hours ago, Hans Datdo-Dishes said:

Didn't the ex Liverpool Aussie, Craig Johnston, invent the Predator boot?

Yes ! That was him. ( Thank you ! ? ) Brilliant documentary way back, he just had a thought. Worked on it himself and then either approached or was approached by whoever finally made them. Fascinating story revealing how they constructed the things and all the slo mo analysis they on various permutations of materials and locations of patches. Using what were then very clever cameras and tech. Validating a gut feeling. ( I am a bit nerdy about engineering things ?

Some of the BS now doesn’t have the same integrity from a design and engineering POV. ( in my opinion of course !) 

15 minutes ago, jono said:

Yes ! That was him. ( Thank you ! ? ) Brilliant documentary way back, he just had a thought. Worked on it himself and then either approached or was approached by whoever finally made them. Fascinating story revealing how they constructed the things and all the slo mo analysis they on various permutations of materials and locations of patches. Using what were then very clever cameras and tech. Validating a gut feeling. ( I am a bit nerdy about engineering things ?

Some of the BS now doesn’t have the same integrity from a design and engineering POV. ( in my opinion of course !) 

Talking of docs…… saw ‘89 last night well early this morning. When Arsenal won league at Anfield with the 2-0 they had to achieve. Very good it was…. But In interview Paul Merson said ‘we lost to Derby and drew with Wimbledon at home, two teams in the bottom three’ he said….. Hmmm methinks . That was our best year since winning the league so how come bottom three. Of course we weren’t bottom three. And neither were Wimbledon. Mr Merson should check again! 

6F22FDB8-E7CA-4AA3-B8CF-38D5F374DAF8.png

27 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Talking of docs…… saw ‘89 last night well early this morning. When Arsenal won league at Anfield with the 2-0 they had to achieve. Very good it was…. But In interview Paul Merson said ‘we lost to Derby and drew with Wimbledon at home, two teams in the bottom three’ he said….. Hmmm methinks . That was our best year since winning the league so how come bottom three. Of course we weren’t bottom three. And neither were Wimbledon. Mr Merson should check again! 

6F22FDB8-E7CA-4AA3-B8CF-38D5F374DAF8.png

I think his memory is somewhat clouded.

5 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Back in the playground years, man utd was always the easy team to support. Even when they weren't winning everything, they were the popular team. I'm talking mid to late 70s, early 80s. It was like a fashion brand. 

But what I can’t get my head round is when I kicked a ball around in the garden with my brother, we were always Keegan,Toshack and Highway. I’m guessing mid 70’s -  At that point I’d never been to a live game but my brother was going to all the home games at United with my granddad. Kids are fickle I suppose. ?

For me though it only gets set in stone when you’ve been in a stadium and felt it for real - different for everyone I suppose 

Edited by jono

15 minutes ago, jono said:

But what I can’t get my head round is when I kicked a ball around in the garden with my brother, we were always Keegan,Toshack and Highway. I’m guessing mid 70’s -  At that point I’d never been to a live game but my brother was going to all the home games at United with my granddad. Kids are fickle I suppose. ?

For me though it only gets set in stone when you’ve been in a stadium and felt it for real - different for everyone I suppose 

From Memory Steve Heighway was never booked. What an absolute legend. Not just for his attitude towards the game but his skill . Top player 

22 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Probably want out because of the billions it’s going cost to upgrade Mold Trafford & the training ground. Didn’t they buy the club for 700m with a 500m loan, putting the club into debt for the first time ever? How many are in the Glazer family? A billion each to sell? 

Yup, that’s about the size of it. United always made a profit, we’re debt free. Had the occasional high profile purchase but never got in to bidding wars with Angelli and other European super clubs. I’ve been a few times as a grown up but it doesn’t feel the same as when I went as a teenage “youff” It’s so frighteningly corporate. The “feel” has gone. I am sure DCFC fans that go to pride park have similar emotions having “felt” the pulse at the Baseball Ground. For me though PPS is like Old Trafford used to be. Real fans, real club, triumph and disaster just round the corner. No prawn sandwiches. 

6 minutes ago, SKRam said:

From Memory Steve Heighway was never booked. What an absolute legend. Not just for his attitude towards the game but his skill . Top player 

I went to the final at Wembley in 77 I think it was. Heighway  would have fried Stewart Houston (able but slowish)  like but he got injured and they played a young Arthur Albiston who was whippet quick and kept Highway in check. Loved Highway, proper winger. 

On 22/11/2022 at 22:18, Mr. P said:

Probably want out because of the billions it’s going cost to upgrade Mold Trafford & the training ground. Didn’t they buy the club for 700m with a 500m loan, putting the club into debt for the first time ever? How many are in the Glazer family? A billion each to sell? 

It’s just like you or I buying a house but on a far greater scale. Hardly like they’ve struggled for money since the takeover either, sure they’ve been the highest spenders since Fergie left.