Derby V Wycombe Player Ratings

Ellafella

22 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Based on the RamsTV full match, with my trusty pen and paper in hand.

Wildsmith 7.5  Best game for ages, despite being beaten at the near post and some wayward kicking early on. Some great saves and claims and a willingness to move the ball forward quickly.

Chester 6.5  Steady debut apart from the mixup with Davies. Rosenior would "trust him with my life". Look forward to him becoming part of the matchday squad. 

Knight 6.5  Perhaps finding his feet further forward. 

Roberts 6.5  A little unlucky to come off, but we needed more attackers on the field.

Cashin 7  People said he was poor at Lincoln and needed resting. Again he was our best defender.

Davies 6.5  A couple of errors but generally the rock we expect and seemed more forward thinking with his carrying the ball and passing.

McGoldrick 8  Lots of good work second half, to go with his Cantona-esque chip in the first. Great rotation with Sibley.

Sibley 7.5  Best player in the first half. Highlighted on Radio Derby how much he runs, with and without the ball, to make space for others. Lovely directness and great rotation with McGoldrick, playing as an alternating pair.

Hourihane 8.5  His two goals lifted a relatively ordinary performance to MotM. Goals change games and how we needed them.

Mendez-Laing 7.5  Very strong substitute performance. Needs to start instead of Barks next match

Bird ? 5.5  Lovely shot early on, but then he went into his shell and failed to strike when presented with a glorious opportunity. Later, a great box-to-box run, but in between he did very little.

Collins 5.5  Really hoped he would look to have made a difference after he came on, but I didn't see it.

Barkhuizen 6.5  Didn't impact the game enough.

Forsyth Not on long enough to rate, ditto Thompson.

@EllafellaI decided to try to help make it easier for you by following your seemingly random player ordering, so you can enter the marks straight in. Is this the order of players in your spreadsheet? If so I understand and will continue; if not, it would be lovely to have some sort of team order with the subs in appearance order at the end. Cheers! Keep up the amazing work, for which we're all grateful.

@Carl SaganIndeed it is Sir & thank you for your kind words. One set of match ratings and production of the infographic takes me about 1 ½ hours so I'm not keen to change the spreadsheet order if you don't mind - it already drives me doo-lally cross-referencing 3 computer screens as I go.  

Wildsmith 7 - some good saves, looks to have improved the keeper position 

Chester 6.5 - at fault for their goal but got better as the game went on.

Knight 6.5 - average by his standards

Roberts 6 - did okay.

Cashin 7 - had a good game, great left foot.

Davies 6 - easing himself back, couple of errors but not costly in the end

McGoldrick 7 - not a target man, much better when Collins came on

Sibley 6.5 - lively, some good moments but…

Hourihane 8 - what can I say? Goals win games, would have been a 6 but for the goals

Mendez-Laing 7 - came on and changed the game

Bird ? 6 - needs consistent help from a central midfield partner

Collins 6.5 - busy when he got on and he allowed McGoldrick more space to show off his skillset 

Barkhuizen 6 - average performance, needs to improve that final pass/shot

Forsyth 6 - didn’t have enough minutes to give anything else but a 6

Wildsmith 8 kept us in it.....Wednesday mate told me we'd got a diamond pre-season. Maybe he's right.

Chester 6

Knight 7

Roberts 6

Cashin 8 

Davies 6

McGoldrick 8

Sibley 7

Hourihane 7

Mendez-Laing 8

Bird ? 5.5 

Collins 7 thought he was excellent when he had friends to play with up top - different player to when he's a lone striker 

Barkhuizen 7 

Forsyth 6 

On 18/09/2022 at 07:29, Ellafella said:

Wildsmith - 7 shouldn't be beaten at near post so easily but good all round performance,  helped by nit having to play too many short passes under pressure with the silly GK's

Chester - 6 clearly not fit, really expected us to start with a 3 at the back with Knight RWB when saw his name as definitely not the right sort of player for fullback in LR's system, don't blame him for goal as it was his area to be challenging for the ball...

Knight - 7 usual energy, but felt he was a bit lost at times as were many in 1st half, think he was less influential than most of his games at RB imo, expected him to start at RWB with the 11 names on teamsheet

Roberts - 6 not one of his better games

Cashin - 7 solid as usual, extra half.point for the goal celebration! 

Davies - 5 poor, clearly not fit, knew as soon as he lost position for the aerial challenge and didn't win it that we were in trouble which they scored from.  Don't think Stearman deserved to be dropped and definitely not after the 2 performances Davies has given, pos trying too hard.

McGoldrick - 7.5 can't play the role asked of him 1st half, but still caused problems, stepped up to another level after the subs allowed him to roam

Sibley - 6.5 not his best but causes opposition defences to panic when he's running with the ball

Hourihane - 6.5 did nothing much other than the goals, could just as easily have been him subbed off, but with 3 CH's it allowed him to be higher up the pitch to be in the right place to have the chances

Mendez-Laing - 8.5 game changer, caused havoc, allowing everyone else to be able to play

Bird ? - 5 so off the pace recently, definitely doesn't work alongside Hourihane when play a back 4

Collins - 7.5 much needed energy and strength lacking up until he and NML came on

Barkhuizen - 6.5 inconsistent and doesn't quite seem to deliver when in promising positions,  overhit crosses a frustration 

Forsyth - 6 little time to make an impact, think he is a better option than Roberts if want a solid LWB

Overall we looked like we had no idea who was playing where for half an hr, Davies off the pace too much imo to be in the team which is affecting his decision making, which led to the goal.

Fully expected us to start with a 3 4 3 formation with the starting 11, especially as both Davies and Chester clearly not 100% fit and no NML or Collins on the pitch.

Would like to see us try that formation until we get a proper RB as it negates some of the need for defensive midfielders as neither Bird or Hourihane look comfortable there.

Think starting system was poor, but even so we could have been level at HT. Good substitutions although surprised he didn't make a change at HT.

Edited by Rich84
Typo