Liam Delap

Bubbles

If I had an 18yo kid and Man City came knocking I would encourage him to go.

You have to believe in yourself and try out with the best, otherwise you will never know and always regret not trying.

If however someone like Palace or Brighton came along Id be telling them to stay out and learn their trade in the Championship.

Don't blame Delap at all. Or the kids that moved to Man U.

23 minutes ago, Crewton said:

4 years to get all the way to get to a Championship play-off battle is probably not what he had in mind though I'm sure. Most footballers want to be lauded for their achievements too, though obviously some do simply want to earn as much as possible, that's true.

Of course, but no guarantee he’d be doing any better if he stayed. As @therealhantsram says, you have to back yourself and take the leap IMO.

I hope this is the start of him fulfilling his potential.

On 30/12/2023 at 13:05, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He decided he preferred Man Citys youth team and reserves for 3 years rather than play championship first team at Derby.  I lost interest at that point.

I hear you and understand that point of view, it’s just this is the Liam Delap thread in the Ex Rams board, probably one to avoid if you have lost interest in the lad.

On 30/12/2023 at 15:38, Crewton said:

4 years to get all the way to get to a Championship play-off battle is probably not what he had in mind though I'm sure. Most footballers want to be lauded for their achievements too, though obviously some do simply want to earn as much as possible, that's true.

Going to Man City was the sensible move. You'd be crazy to turn it down. Delap's done ok, but let's say worst case scenario in that the player doesn't continue to develop and even goes backwards. They'll still get more opportunities, better loans, more offers upon their release if they're coming from a top Premier League club. Tom Carroll for instance has coasted his entire career on being good in Spurs' youth team. If he'd been the exact same player, but a product of a league 1 academy, he'd be non league by now.

What rankles is the way those top clubs put pressure on the football league to revamp the tribunal system so they could pillage young talent on the cheap before they can be signed to a pro contract. Even more annoyingly those same managers who hoover up all these young players are incessantly whinging about the number of games, yet barely ever use the talent they hoard in their reserves.

Edited by Anon