Gotta love Extinction Rebellion

Bob The Badger

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Well that’ll save the planet, cheers. I am sure the Earth is looking at the C02 output and thinking cor blimey I can’t breath properly, but it’s ok because it’s not amount of crap being chucked out it’s the amount per head. 

Let me explain as it's clear you're struggling with the complexity of the data. While the likes of you, the big oil companies and the West in general love to demonise the Chinese and suggest they are the root of all climate change evil, your average American produces more than twice the CO2 your average Chinaman does. Likewise the Canadians, the Saudis, the Australians. Why then should they be first duck in the pond just because there are more of them than Yanks?

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

They have no interest in "winning people over to their argument". They just want draw attention to the fact that humanity is sleepwalking into extinction.

Who should need to be "won over" to that argument anyway? Assuming that no one actually wants to actively see the end of the human race

If they don't engage in these outrageous tactics then human nature is to pretend that it will all be ok.

Climate change, mass extinction, ecological collapse, economic collapse, pandemics, floods, fires - nothing to see here. I'm too busy being angry about a student with blue hair who has forced me to think about it

I guarantee you that hardly anyone will have "thought about it" as a result of these pranks, but allot of people will be tut-tutting at the unnecessary waste and mess and feeling sorry for the person that has to clean it up.

I'm guessing the're opting for these 'shock' style protests because they don't have the numbers to make an impact with a straightforward demonstrations. I appreciate that they may be well-meaning, but I doubt they ever measure the impact of what they do, either positive or negative. I think it's the almost nauseating righteousness of so many such protesters that irritates the public.

7 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I guarantee you that hardly anyone will have "thought about it" as a result of these pranks, but allot of people will be tut-tutting at the unnecessary waste and mess and feeling sorry for the person that has to clean it up.

I'm guessing the're opting for these 'shock' style protests because they don't have the numbers to make an impact with a straightforward demonstrations. I appreciate that they may be well-meaning, but I doubt they ever measure the impact of what they do, either positive or negative. I think it's the almost nauseating righteousness of so many such protesters that irritates the public.

Are you still not getting it?

Tut-tutting at some spilt milk, feeling sorry for the person who has to clean it up, being irritated by nauseating righteousness...

These are our problems? 

Global warming, crops failing, mass extinctions, ecological collapse, extreme weather events, mass displacement of populations 

When those are our problems (and it won't be long) - we'll long for the days when the fat old men on the football forum only had to worry about some students with blue hair 

Edited by Stive Pesley

15 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Let me explain as it's clear you're struggling with the complexity of the data. While the likes of you, the big oil companies and the West in general love to demonise the Chinese and suggest they are the root of all climate change evil, your average American produces more than twice the CO2 your average Chinaman does. Likewise the Canadians, the Saudis, the Australians. Why then should they be first duck in the pond just because there are more of them than Yanks?

Not struggling at all with it, I perfectly understand it. Seems to wind you up though.

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

They have no interest in "winning people over to their argument". They just want draw attention to the fact that humanity is sleepwalking into extinction.

Who should need to be "won over" to that argument anyway? Assuming that no one actually wants to actively see the end of the human race

If they don't engage in these outrageous tactics then human nature is to pretend that it will all be ok.

Climate change, mass extinction, ecological collapse, economic collapse, pandemics, floods, fires - nothing to see here. I'm too busy being angry about a student with blue hair who has forced me to think about it

Mass extinction,,, ? Just more mass hysteria 

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

It really isn't

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

There is widespread consensus among scientists that human activity is accelerating the extinction of many animal species through the destruction of habitats, the consumption of animals as resources, and the elimination of species that humans view as threats or competitors.[40] That humans have become the primary driver of modern extinctions is undeniable, rising extinction trends impacting numerous animal groups including mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians have prompted scientists to declare a biodiversity crisis

10 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Are you still not getting it?

Tut-tutting at some spilt milk, feeling sorry for the person who has to clean it up, being irritated by nauseating righteousness...

These are our problems? 

Global warming, crops failing, mass extinctions, ecological collapse, extreme weather events, mass displacement of populations 

When those are our problems (and it won't be long) - we'll long for the days when the fat old men on the football forum only had to worry about some students with blue hair 

Honestly mate don’t get swept away with this mass hysteria imminent crisis , death of humanity stuff ,it can only fill you with anxiety, stress and unhappiness, I mean that genuinely 

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

No, you clearly don't, as evidenced by your previous post. 

Oh I do. However my point is China is currently doing more damage to the environment then any other Country, am I wrong? 

11 minutes ago, Archied said:

Honestly mate don’t get swept away with this mass hysteria imminent crisis , death of humanity stuff ,it can only fill you with anxiety, stress and unhappiness, I mean that genuinely 

Ironic as I remember saying much the same thing to you regarding your hysterics in the covid thread!

But rest assured I'm not anxious or stressed about it. At best I've probably got 10-20 years left on this planet either way, I just see where we're heading and I remain hopeful that the young people who want to be around a lot longer will sort it out, and to do that they have to not let themselves be beaten down by the relentlessly negative old folk who just don't want to know

Just now, Stive Pesley said:

Ironic as I remember saying much the same thing to you regarding your hysterics in the covid thread!

But rest assured I'm not anxious or stressed about it. At best I've probably got 10-20 years left on this planet either way, I just see where we're heading and I remain hopeful that the young people who want to be around a lot longer will sort it out, and to do that they have to not let themselves be beaten down by the relentlessly negative old folk who just don't want to know

It was a genuine comment,

what’s ironic is you bring up covid and go on to say our young folk should not let themselves be beaten down by the relentlessly negative old folks ,, you figure out the contradiction but I’m sure you won’t want to

35 minutes ago, Crewton said:

The mistake you keep making is you're viewing from today's perspective. Bombs, arson, vandalism it's all ok if we get to the right outcome... 

Acting like a thug is fine so long as you're doing it on behalf of whatever crusade Stive is on. And if you disagree it's because you're a racist, homophobic, sexist fat football fan who doesn't support anything that might upset your privileged position. 

There's no way you can actually care about the planet and disapprove of vandalism, you fat football man. 

Like when they toppled down that statue in Bristol. They did it looking at it from today's perspec- 

Wait, bad example. But if you disapproved then you clearly didn't want equality. 

We could take this to the Ukraine War thread. Because all these bombed Ukrainian villages will be prosperous Russian cities one day. So just like the Suffragettes sending letter bombs and XR being vandals it's all for a better world and you just don't want that. 

You're no better than Millicent Fawcett who condemned violence in the name of women's rights. Bet she was a fat football fan too which from now on is the exact opposite of a blue haired unwashed student activist. (I have no idea why he was so triggered by whoever made that comment or why he then joins in by playing his own hand at stereotypes) 

10 minutes ago, Alpha said:

The mistake you keep making is you're viewing from today's perspective. Bombs, arson, vandalism it's all ok if we get to the right outcome... 

Acting like a thug is fine so long as you're doing it on behalf of whatever crusade Stive is on. And if you disagree it's because you're a racist, homophobic, sexist fat football fan who doesn't support anything that might upset your privileged position. 

There's no way you can actually care about the planet and disapprove of vandalism, you fat football man. 

Like when they toppled down that statue in Bristol. They did it looking at it from today's perspec- 

Wait, bad example. But if you disapproved then you clearly didn't want equality. 

We could take this to the Ukraine War thread. Because all these bombed Ukrainian villages will be prosperous Russian cities one day. So just like the Suffragettes sending letter bombs and XR being vandals it's all for a better world and you just don't want that. 

You're no better than Millicent Fawcett who condemned violence in the name of women's rights. Bet she was a fat football fan too which from now on is the exact opposite of a blue haired unwashed student activist. (I have no idea why he was so triggered by whoever made that comment or why he then joins in by playing his own hand at stereotypes) 

The problem is we have people addicted to crisis after crisis spurred on by a media addicted to crisis which makes them money ,people whipped up into such a frenzy that they end up mentally and emotionally damaging themselves

41 minutes ago, Archied said:

I really don't know how you can still be in the dark about the precipitous decline of wildlife all over the world.

It's simple, we take most of the available land for farms to feed ourselves....and leave nowhere for wild animals to live.  

https://earth.org/wildlife-population-decline/

8 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I really don't know how you can still be in the dark about the precipitous decline of wildlife all over the world.

It's simple, we take most of the available land for farms to feed ourselves....and leave nowhere for wild animals to live.  

Strangely I care more about humans than wildlife , no your right , let’s get rid of farms ,live off bugs and cover those farms with solar panels and wind farms ,,, surely you must be up in arms to stop these wind farms or shall we all just keep budgies 

Edited by Archied

18 minutes ago, Archied said:

The problem is we have people addicted to crisis after crisis spurred on by a media addicted to crisis which makes them money ,people whipped up into such a frenzy that they end up mentally and emotionally damaging themselves

Yeah true. 

We do need to take care of our planet though. The way we are going is so bad. You can see it clear with your own eyes how the world has changed. How the ice melts. And that is real. 

I just believe that your average person will care about that (if they aren't already aware of it). The people who don't care who are well aware of it won't change because of XR. What they'll be able to do is control the narrative that these people are loons. And it's easy because they're effecting lives of everyday folk in a negative way. 

Social media now is a weapon that the likes of the Suffragettes didn't have. I think it's easier now to be heard. I don't think you need to send the message in the way that some of these do. 

Edited by Alpha

6 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Likewise - which is the bigger crime?

Throwing some soup at a pane of glass in an art gallery, or the fact that the government is planning to renege on climate action promises on fossil fuels and want to grant 40 new licenses to open new oil fields? Which one will have an impact on your life and your kid's lives?

Ooh she's got blue hair, ooh I bet she uses plastics, ooh bloody students, get a job etc

You make one good point... Climate minister, Graham Stuart: “Actually it’s good for the environment because when we burn our own gas it’s got lower emissions around its production than foreign gas … as well as supporting British jobs,” 
Is this some sort of joke?

And a poor one. Why does it have to be one or the other?

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yeah true. 

We do need to take care of our planet though. The way we are going is so bad. You can see it clear with your own eyes how the world has changed. How the ice melts. And that is real. 

I just believe that your average person will care about that (if they aren't already aware of it). The people who don't care who are well aware of it won't change because of XR. What they'll be able to do is control the narrative that these people are loons. And it's easy because they're effecting lives of everyday folk in a negative way. 

Social media now is a weapon that the likes of the Suffragettes didn't have. I think it's easier now to be heard. I don't think you need to send the message in the way that some of these do. 

Yep I’m for sensible path that benefit s the people , future and balance of this planet these loons are not sensible or realistic neither are net zero targets in this country,, all are just uncosted money spinners that create more take make throw away and pollution,, wind farms charge the same money for electric as fossil fuels because of contract duck ups 

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

Strangely I care more about humans than wildlife , no your right , let’s get rid of farms ,live off bugs and cover those farms with solar panels and wind farms ,,, surely you must be up in arms to stop these wind farms or shall we all just keep budgies 

You've just employed a whole legion of strawmen there, I'm sure you can do a lot better than that to argue your point. 

First you were saying that reports of wildlife extinctions were just mass hysteria.  Now you seem to conceding that the extinctions are real...but because we are more important it's just bad luck for all other species.  Which is it, the extinctions aren't happening...or we just shouldn't be bothered that they are happening? 

9 minutes ago, Highgate said:

My issue is though

Plant based diet and less meat. The problem is bigger than that. Those soya crops will still be there, just filling human stomachs not animal ones particularly South America where deforestation to grow soya is a growth industry as is palm oil or any of the following as it's better known- 

Vegetable Oil, Vegetable Fat, Palm Kernel, Palm Kernel Oil, Palm Fruit Oil, Palmate, Palmitate, Palmolein, Glyceryl, Stearate, Stearic Acid, Elaeis Guineensis, Palmitic Acid, Palm Stearine, Palmitoyl Oxostearamide, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-3, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Kernelate, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Lauryl Lactylate/Sulphate, Hyrated Palm Glycerides, Etyl Palmitate, Octyl Palmitate, Palmityl Alcohol.  It's basically in everything.

At what point do you look at such random actions as individual acts of wanton vandalism.  If you want to protest about something have the balls to go to the source of the issue you don't like rather than have some poor fecker moping up gallons of milk you've spilt everywhere in a shop.  What happens if some group decides that someone whose 80 and living in a 3 bedroom house shouldn't have it anymore as they're taking up too much room on their own.  Will they have s*** pushed through the letterbox on a weekly basis.  Now that the 20p tax is staying people should head of to HMRC and throw piss at people leaving work.  

I'm not concerned about protesting but it has to be in the correct context and have rationale attached to any action.  It's been referred to earlier that bringing someone round to your way of thinking isn't the issue.  In that case anything's a pointless endeavour and indicates your not putting forth an argument for your action as you don't have one, your just like creating chaos like some faux Clockwork Orange simpleton without plan or design under the pretext of having an agenda.