How many more signing do we need champership winning side

B4ev6is

How longs a piece of string?

I just want to hopefully see a competitive team this season, where that takes us we'll see.

Can't even think about winning the league this season, it just doesn't feel right, not in July when it's a squad that's been 80% assembled in a summer.

Sign Collins, LB, RB and a backup keeper then replace any departures.

With that we can't really have any complaints at all.

1 minute ago, David said:

I just want to hopefully see a competitive team this season, where that takes us we'll see.

Can't even think about winning the league this season, it just doesn't feel right, not in July when it's a squad that's been 80% assembled in a summer.

I would prefer wildsmith to be the backup ?

11 minutes ago, David said:

If we’re not competitive with our current squad then there is clearly something wrong.

I’m not saying we are champions elect or even guaranteed a top six spot. But there is an evident divide in League One.

The bottom eight to ten or so are really small clubs with tiny budgets. Our squad is better than that and we will have the pick of better loans too.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Allsop had a shaky start as well, Wildsmith has only had one pre season game a week after arriving, needs time 

Also played over 150 games before joining us though where as wildsmith has been used very sparingly over the last 5 years , worries me

2 hours ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Also played over 150 games before joining us though where as wildsmith has been used very sparingly over the last 5 years , worries me

It does not worry me wildsmith want to prove a point to shiffield wednesday and new keep scot that just been signed by mighty derby county and will want and be earger to impress.

5 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

If we’re not competitive with our current squad then there is clearly something wrong.

I’m not saying we are champions elect or even guaranteed a top six spot. But there is an evident divide in League One.

The bottom eight to ten or so are really small clubs with tiny budgets. Our squad is better than that and we will have the pick of better loans too.

We just seem thin in certain areas and I’m not entirely sure what academy players we have left to back them up.

Older players have came in to bulk up the squad, yet with that comes the risk of injury and longer recovery times.

I’ll be honest, League 1 is not a League which I have every spent a great time watching, its somewhat of a new experience and I just don’t know how well fair.

I find the whole winning the league discussion a little crass, even arrogant, yes we are a big club for League 1 yet there are others down there that have been around the block with us.

I’m still in the mindset where we’re just lucky to have a club and I’m not entirely sure we have any kind of long term vision, this is all very much a season of stability.

I think the worst a club of our size has fared at this level is Sheffield Wednesday about a decade ago when they finished on around 57 points.

Almost every other club (Blades, Hull, Preston, Ipswich, Sunderland, Wolves, Southampton, Millwall, Forest etc) that have gone down have finished on at least 65 points.

The only exceptions being Coventry, Wigan and Bolton but each had far worse scenarios be it points deductions, still in admin or having to field youth players.

Throw in that we still have the bulk of a side who would have finished last season’s Championship campaign above the drop zone, I’ll be amazed if we don’t get at least 65 points.

9 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think the worst a club of our size has fared at this level is Sheffield Wednesday about a decade ago when they finished on around 57 points.

Almost every other club (Blades, Hull, Preston, Ipswich, Sunderland, Wolves, Southampton, Millwall, Forest etc) that have gone down have finished on at least 65 points.

The only exceptions being Coventry, Wigan and Bolton but each had far worse scenarios be it points deductions, still in admin or having to field youth players.

Throw in that we still have the bulk of a side who would have finished last season’s Championship campaign above the drop zone, I’ll be amazed if we don’t get at least 65 points.

I hear you, those that went down and finished on 65 points were in a far better position than we were and not always bounced straight back up though.

I have this horrible nagging feeling that it won’t be as easy as some think, and that we could be down here for 2/3 seasons before looking like genuine promotion candidates.

The quality we have added in this window is impressive, but as we know, it’s about building a team and with so many new faces around, we can’t expect that to happen overnight.

9 minutes ago, David said:

I hear you, those that went down and finished on 65 points were in a far better position than we were and not always bounced straight back up though.

I have this horrible nagging feeling that it won’t be as easy as some think, and that we could be down here for 2/3 seasons before looking like genuine promotion candidates.

The quality we have added in this window is impressive, but as we know, it’s about building a team and with so many new faces around, we can’t expect that to happen overnight.

Not all that came down were inna far worse position. I mean, our midfield is probably the best midfield to have ever come down to this division.

I know that seems arrogant. But I feel our midfield is our strongest area of the team, and lets not forget without the deductions we wouldn’t have been relegated last season - unlike the teams above.

I agree there are some unknowns about the rest of the side, especially at fullbacks and in goal.

Collins on paper is a great signing at this level but that is by no means a guarantee.

I’m adamant that our current midfield options though are the best in the league. If they’re not, then another side has a midfield who is top half Championship standard.

I think full backs are we are short. Maybe three fulls back? Fozzy and Oduroh could be two of them.

Maybe another wide man? a loanee or Glover?

Then we are about there (not taking into account any future departures) as we don't want a bloated sqaud.

16 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

We need another goalkeeper, a left back, right back, and a couple more forward players with pace preferably out wide.

We certainly have enough CFs in Collins, McGoldrick and Stretton but I agree another pacey wide man would be a welcome addition.

8 hours ago, David said:

This one I'm not that sure about. Union Berlin signed around 20 players last season and the final posiion were fifth, just one point from the Champions League spot.

So, with the correct use of sport psychology, quick team building is possible.

9 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

This one I'm not that sure about. Union Berlin signed around 20 players last season and the final posiion were fifth, just one point from the Champions League spot.

So, with the correct use of sport psychology, quick team building is possible.

Add in the fact a number of the new additions know one another as well as members of the existing staff/squad which will also help the team gel quickly. It’s not a random group of strangers pulled together in a park, these are professional footballers who will already be bonding and building relationships on and off the pitch as there already a couple of weeks into it. 

13 hours ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Well if he makes 3 mistakes we will need to score 4 or 5 so should be a cracking season. 

8 hours ago, David said:

Interesting, and before we started signing players I would have agreed with you.

However, I don't think the signings we have made are with a view to a slow build, they look like they are a full tilt to get straight back up in one season.

So, I am now expecting us to go for it! Will we be good/streetwise enough? 

Yes/maybe.