Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

Just been catching up with the palace youth academy documentary on chan 4. Nice little series. Always watch things like that with Derby in my mind. Thinking about the journey of someone like max bird. From being a kid scouted to captain of the first team. That must be the dream there (Although I'm sure a big money move to a prem side might mow have taken thet place)

Got me enthusiastic about our academy. So, those with knowledge, who is the kids or kids to be excited about down the age groups (if we can name the players, not sure what restrictions are on naming youth players)

Who's the next on the production line?

On 24/12/2022 at 14:16, KBB said:

Just been catching up with the palace youth academy documentary on chan 4. Nice little series. Always watch things like that with Derby in my mind. Thinking about the journey of someone like max bird. From being a kid scouted to captain of the first team. That must be the dream there (Although I'm sure a big money move to a prem side might mow have taken thet place)

Got me enthusiastic about our academy. So, those with knowledge, who is the kids or kids to be excited about down the age groups (if we can name the players, not sure what restrictions are on naming youth players)

From what I’ve seen (only a little this season) and from what a few say, the U16s have a few that are coming through and will be ones to watch. I think they have a winger and a left back who are always with the 18s and playing up. 

But apparently it’s the current U14s who have a number of players who have very good potential. I’ve watched them a few times and they do look very good. Although, the last time I watched they lost 6-0 to Liverpool ?

I would always be careful talking about the next big thing from the younger age groups as with growth and development it’s still a fairly big guess on who will “make it”. Plenty of kids look word beaters right up to u16s as they have developed quicker than others but then reach a a ceiling. There are some like Delap and to an extent Gordon ( who wasn’t the best player in his age group until about u12) who stand out but it’s a guessing game. Kellyman at times showed flashes of brilliance during his development but at times struggled physically… it’s a guessing game. It’s like the schoolboy international thing … playing for your country early doesn’t mean you will be a star again Delap and Gordon weren’t involved until much later.

Also the move from schoolboy to scholar can be a massive change and some can’t cope and fall away then. 

i would say once they start as scholars you can have a better guess and from the current lot in my opinion

Robinson, Richards, Brown, Evans, Hawkins, Wheeldon, Sebagdo are on the way to getting there along with Thompson and McAndrew from the u16s. 

19 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's all looking much better. I've been told this afternoon by an academy parent that the continuing Category 1 Status has now been confirmed, which is a big relief for all of us I hope. It probably explains the recent upturn in positive activity at Moor Farm.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

On 24/12/2022 at 14:16, KBB said:

I missed that documentary, what's it called?