Serial Whingers Notts Forest playtime, which we simply cannot accept.

REDCAR

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Rubbish.

We did no such thing as fluke it. We were such a solid unit and won so many games by one goal.

Once we went ahead there was no way we were losing.

What happened the following season is irrelevant, we were moving into a much better league with much better players.

We fluked the playoffs but didn’t fluke promotion? It’s the same thing.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

We beat Southampton away comfortably,  held our nerve in the penalties at home and beat West Brom in the final with no contentious decisions after finishing above both in the normal season .  No flukes

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

We didn't fluke the play offs, we may have had a bit of luck on our side but would hardly say that is fluking promotion.

Promotion was earned over 49 games that season and if we got a bit of luck in one game, that clearly does not equate to fluking promotion.

The team that finished 3rd in the league went up through the play offs.

As I already said, to suggest that you can fluke your position over a 46 game season is just nonsense. 

3 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Not a fan of blends. What do you recommend?

Avoid blends as a general, if not exclusive rule. Single malt all the way for me tbh. Macallan, Lagavulin, Balvenie, Aberlour, most of the single malts are more than drinkable. If you like something especially peaty, then try the Laphroaig range. For a milder experience, try Penderyn, it's Welsh, not Scottish, but it's very good. There's also some excellent Japanese brands, but they can be very expensive; Yamazaki and Nikka spring to mind.  There's some very nice Irish brands too, though I still rate Scottish single malts as the best quality / value brands. Enjoy! 

9 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

We weren't the better team in 2/3 of the play-off games, particularly the final, but our goals (and penalties) were all excellent, none of them were 'flukes'. On the other hand, Forest's winner in the final was via a deflected own goal  - that's what I meant when I called it a 'fluke' in my previous post. Like us, they were in the play-offs on merit.

3 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Not a fan of blends. What do you recommend?

I'd generally agree, malt is usually a better choice, but some blends are better than others and some are maybe more enjoyable than bottom end single malts.

Isle of Skye 8yo is better than bog standard bells/grouse etc.

Jonnie walker black label is nice(good pick up if on offer but I wouldn't recommend it as a premium), and more expensive JWs nicer still, but you're getting into "could buy a nice malt for that" price.

Lidl do a blended malt called"arbrachen" that used to be good but the packaging has changed so I suspect the blend has changed.

For "alternative to a good bottle of single malt" I can hand on heart say anything from Compass Box, but they're not usually in off license and never in supermarkets.

13 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Avoid blends as a general, if not exclusive rule. Single malt all the way for me tbh. Macallan, Lagavulin, Balvenie, Aberlour, most of the single malts are more than drinkable. If you like something especially peaty, then try the Laphroaig range. For a milder experience, try Penderyn, it's Welsh, not Scottish, but it's very good. There's also some excellent Japanese brands, but they can be very expensive; Yamazaki and Nikka spring to mind.  There's some very nice Irish brands too, though I still rate Scottish single malts as the best quality / value brands. Enjoy! 

Agree with all of that,

The only bit of advice I'd add is, it's often worth avoiding the very cheapest single malt offering from the main brands, and getting the "next one up the range" - I only say that not because any of them are bad, but because the step up in quality is remarkable and the entry level bottles are usually no better than the "store brand single malt" bottle that's usually a bit cheaper.

For a malt recommendation I'd say Highland Park 12yo is a great bottle. For not peatie malt, Old Pultney 12yo.

12 hours ago, Yoxoram said:

May I wish all the Forest fans best wishes for the New Year. Especially after you beat manure utd for me. I might even wear something red for a few minutes. But only for a few minutes.

No No No GIF

5 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Yeh like I said, not a fan of blends but you mentioned some are better than the one referenced. 

On 31/12/2023 at 14:56, Bris Vegas said:

You can fluke promotion. Billy Davies did it here. I said you were lucky to stay up.

Cooper won’t go on to better things. He isn’t any better than Pearson or Dean Smith. He had you playing crap football and you would have gone down with him. I understand why there is a love for Cooper.

But in 5-10 years time you will see him in a similar way Brighton fans see Chris Hughton. Just a stepping stone.

Promotion is determined over the course of a 46 game season. You can suggest we got some element of luck in the playoff final, but it still took an enormous effort to get there in the first place. 

The playoffs are a lottery, if you manage to find yourself as one of the 6 best teams in the league, I don't think you can call it a fluke. 

Staying up in the PL.. That's even more difficult to achieve. I'd like to see the percentage of playoff winners who stay up, it has to be pretty low. Cooper performed his second miracle there. 

I like to look at the attendance a different way. 

Approximately 29k watched Nottingham Forest beat Manchester United at home in the Premier League.

Approximately 29k watched Derby County lose at home to Peterborough United in the third tier of English football 😂

I don't think this is the win you're looking for.. 

Obi-Wan Kenobi Not The Droids GIF

Edited by Red_Dawn