Stagtime and Missus 2022 Great Britain tour.

Stagtime

11 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Hope you managed to get round the West Coast before the midgie's came out to play. 

Enjoy Glasgow, fantastic city. Totally different to Edinburgh. Not as pleasing on the eye, but more down to earth.

We’ve never been to Glasgow so we’re looking forward to it. At least you can see the midge’s here, the ones back home are that small you can’t see them but you sure know that they are around. The sister in law finished the walk last week and they didn’t seem to bad.

17 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

When is that mate? Been planning a road trip starting at my friends' place in the Lakes then driving the West coast as far as it goes but it'd be nice if it didn't involve being bitten to death.

Start at Milngavie  next Monday July 4 and finishing in Fort William 8 days later. Our days range from 16 to 24 km a day, not sure what that is in miles. The whole walk is 160 km. The missus has plenty of skin so soft which is supposed to be the best stuff to use. If they are the same as home then coconut oil is good and a lot cheaper. It’s the oil they don’t like. 

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

When is that mate? Been planning a road trip starting at my friends' place in the Lakes then driving the West coast as far as it goes but it'd be nice if it didn't involve being bitten to death.

I'm an East coaster (midge free), but summer holidays to the West Highlands in July as a kid involved lots of failed attempts to swat them away. 

July and Aug seem the worst months. 

4 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I'm an East coaster (midge free), but summer holidays to the West Highlands in July as a kid involved lots of failed attempts to swat them away. 

July and Aug seem the worst months. 

Pesticides. I blame the greens.  Was it always the problem on the west coast?

6 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Pesticides. I blame the greens.  Was it always the problem on the west coast?

Must be something to do with the additional rainfall in the West encouraging certain flora amongst the countryside that attract the Midge's. 

I've never seen one on the East. 

Maybe our local West coast expert will put us straight @RadioactiveWaste.  

3 minutes ago, CWC1983 said:

Must be something to do with the additional rainfall in the West encouraging certain flora amongst the countryside that attract the Midge's. 

I've never seen one on the East. 

Maybe our local West coast expert will put us straight @RadioactiveWaste.  

There is an old Arabic proverb that goes something along the lines of "between the Tigres and the Euphraties Allah created a paradise, but man was not deserving of it, so he added flys"

The same thing is true with scotland, but with midges.

Seriously, had do some work in Devilla forest last summer, i felt like i was feeding every insect within 4 miles.

I can't tel you if it's a "west coast thing" more than east, but the climate is more soggy and perhaps that encourages the little devils.

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I've enjoyed the pictures and updates from your tour @Stagtime- hope both of you have had a good time.

And its been pissing down in NSW apparently (but no idea if that's anywhere near where you guys live ?

Thanks mate, having a great time. No we're from God's country up in Queensland. In saying that, yesterday was the second coldest day on record in Brisbane at 12.4c. The day before was the third coldest at 14.5c so it's actually warmer here in Scotland!

6 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

Thanks mate, having a great time. No we're from God's country up in Queensland. In saying that, yesterday was the second coldest day on record in Brisbane at 12.4c. The day before was the third coldest at 14.5c so it's actually warmer here in Scotland!

High summer my friend. Ive only visited Scotland in January and barely saw any daylight ??

2 hours ago, Stagtime said:

Day 3, the hardest thing we've ever done. 23km and 8 hours of scrambling over rocks, through mud and rain and the missus blew a knee yesterday so she was really struggling physically and mentally. At least that is the hardest parts over with.

This is a walking track?

FB_IMG_1657131828763.thumb.jpg.c022415b15026904badfee55cf34fb5d.jpg

FB_IMG_1657131875869.thumb.jpg.4219c9870caa59fd281ddc1c47b6fbe3.jpgFB_IMG_1657131775886.jpg.c615e37d3ac986faf90290e901901d34.jpg

Wow, that looks like very hard work but the views must make it all worthwhile.