Next season

StantonRam

hi all

What do we think is a realistic target for next season?

Optimistic - 100 points (30 wins, 10 draws, 6 defeats), win the league, back where we should be

Realistic - 80 points (20 wins, 20 draws, 6 defeats), playoffs, pretty good chance of going straight back up

Pessimistic - 60 points (15 wins, 15 draws, 16 defeats), mid table, struggling with the physicality of the league (injuries?) and proving too lightweight despite being more skilful than most teams

Aaaaaaaargh - 40 points (10 wins, 10 draws, 26 defeats), relegation dogfight, internal acrimony followed by the inevitable departures in both squad and management once we realise just how demanding this league actually is (1st & 2nd round of both cups, up to 60 games in the season with possible cup runs & replays, crap away grounds on cold rainy Tuesday nights, lower gates at home, morale spiralling downwards, CK refusing to invest more until results improve, Roo unable to stop the slide, higher teams hoovering up all our talent, doomed to an eternity in the Twilight Zone...

Personally I'm hoping for somewhere between the first two but fearing that the reality might be more like somewhere between the second and third. 

Also, I hope I'm not alone in believing that #4 is very unlikely!

I'm not sure it's possible to really classify any scenario as Optimistic, Realistic or pessimistic when we only have 4 players contracted and no idea of the rest of the squad.

If the EFL hits us the same as Bolton then CK can't pay any fees for players, has a 23 man squad limit and a wage limit of £4500. Hope ours isn't any worse than that, but I think we definitely have to hope that we keep the core of the current squad, and that Rooney and his team are rather good at recruitment.

5 hours ago, Crewton said:

100 points - don't be ridiculous 

80 points - over-optimistic 

60 points - realistic if Rooney gets the opportunity to re-sign current players and add to squad. 

40 points - what we're looking at if the takeover isn't completed by the end of May. 

Quite. Actually being allowed to keep the points that we earn for a start would be nice.

It's very hard to say for sure what is optimistic and what is not since we have no idea what the squad will be but surely the first two are beyond wildly optimistic - only Fulham have more than 80 points this season with just 3 games left and they can't hit 100 even with a guy who has scored 40+ goals.

Even if this goes through, if it is delayed then we could lose more players and the manager. Even if it is completed promptly, the squad needs a serious strengthening and regardless of stated intention to stay, some of these players will leave because agents will see to that.

I really think that we need to avoid lumping too much expectation on whoever steps out on the pitch next season. It might well be that we get a clean takeover and some canny reinforcements to the squad and we do well but one of the positives of this year has been the lack of expectation and fans prepared to back the team wholeheartedly in every situation. I haven't missed the grumbling because 'We should be beating the likes of team X'

On 28/04/2022 at 06:04, LondonRam2 said:

hi all

What do we think is a realistic target for next season?

Optimistic - 100 points (30 wins, 10 draws, 6 defeats), win the league, back where we should be

Realistic - 80 points (20 wins, 20 draws, 6 defeats), playoffs, pretty good chance of going straight back up

Pessimistic - 60 points (15 wins, 15 draws, 16 defeats), mid table, struggling with the physicality of the league (injuries?) and proving too lightweight despite being more skilful than most teams

Aaaaaaaargh - 40 points (10 wins, 10 draws, 26 defeats), relegation dogfight, internal acrimony followed by the inevitable departures in both squad and management once we realise just how demanding this league actually is (1st & 2nd round of both cups, up to 60 games in the season with possible cup runs & replays, crap away grounds on cold rainy Tuesday nights, lower gates at home, morale spiralling downwards, CK refusing to invest more until results improve, Roo unable to stop the slide, higher teams hoovering up all our talent, doomed to an eternity in the Twilight Zone...

Personally I'm hoping for somewhere between the first two but fearing that the reality might be more like somewhere between the second and third. 

Also, I hope I'm not alone in believing that #4 is very unlikely!

I'll settle for having a team to watch and be thankful for small mercies after this season