Finance thread 2022.

Rev

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

And can end up finishing work far from home. 

I find the cognitive dissonance hard to understand. If you get a good manual job, with a strong union defending your working conditions, people take exception to a good but not outrageous pay rate. If you become a spiv stock market speculator you can fill your boots and its just jealousy if anyone suggests that you pay a slightly raised tax on the pay you receive waay way above the usual person's income level.

That's not "half your income" no matter what people say on this thread. 

Driving a train is not  manual job , as far as I know.  I was talking to a cab driver at weekend (they like a rant even more than our forum members). She said she had given up travelling on the train due to the strikes and the working to rule. I can imagine she doesn't fancy driving in her leisure time as she does that for her day job. So I can see why she is more resentful of train drivers messing up her valuable  leisure time. And yes I believe her job involves more stressful driving and longer hours and worse pay than a train driver's. And she may not be bothered about City bankers whether they are "spivs" in your eyes or not as what they are paid doesn't affect her one bit. But like you say she probably isn't consumed by envy like some on this forum are.   

21 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Train drivers also have to keep updated on rules and regs , complex exam to get the job. 
Have to know the routes like the back of their hands. 
If I recall correctly there was a train driver on the Popside forum who had someone commit suicide by jumping in front of his train. 
That must be horrendous ? worth every penny they are paid imho 

Tup from Spondon, His mate a few weeks/months earlier had the same done to him, He never went back.

I was Cosmo Kramer ? 

1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

Anyway my money saving tip is:

Tinned sardines. Man they're so good and cost like 30p a can. Stick em on toast, rice, pasta...

Excellent poor man's lunch.

Good shout. Very versatile - tinned mackerel v similar.

Edited by Crewton

34 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Driving a train is not  manual job , as far as I know.  I was talking to a cab driver at weekend (they like a rant even more than our forum members). She said she had given up travelling on the train due to the strikes and the working to rule. I can imagine she doesn't fancy driving in her leisure time as she does that for her day job. So I can see why she is more resentful of train drivers messing up her valuable  leisure time. And yes I believe her job involves more stressful driving and longer hours and worse pay than a train driver's. And she may not be bothered about City bankers whether they are "spivs" in your eyes or not as what they are paid doesn't affect her one bit. But like you say she probably isn't consumed by envy like some on this forum are.   

Don’t think taxi  drivers don’t get many suicide jumpers compared to train drivers . Train driving is very complicated and they are in charge of far more passengers with much more chance of a major disaster if things go wrong. 
Taxi driving must have its share of stress with pissed up and abusive passengers but not the same jeapardy  . 
I wouldn’t want to do either job 

Edited by Reggie Greenwood
Added a bit

13 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Don’t think taxi  drivers don’t get many suicide jumpers compared to train drivers . Train driving is very complicated and they are in charge of far more passengers with much more chance of a major disaster if things go wrong. 
Taxi driving must have its share of stress with pissed up and abusive passengers but not the same jeapardy  . 

Statistically there are more train drivers killed in their job as there are Taxi drivers in their job, The reason why is Taxi drivers never turn up.

Edited by Unlucky Alf

42 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I've encountered drunk train passengers. Its not limited to cabs. 

Anyone who feels inconvenienced by the strikes needs to remember, its not really about drivers. It's about the lowly paid, rank and file workers getting their terms and conditions destroyed. Don't blame the workers when it's the management handing down awful attacks on low paid staff. 

5 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Can I just check, then, that those people who are opposed to taxing those earning over £150k are happy that our train drivers can be on a mere £60-65k per year? I mean, it's not even a high pay rate. Nowhere near the top tax band.

I’ve not seen anyone mention train drivers salary’s? I have seen a lot of jealousy over people who earn higher salaries though. 

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

Can you please explain how allowing them to retain more of their salary/bonus is going to benefit someone on a low wage?

Trickle-down economics was discredited 30 years ago, yet some deluded people still defend it.

Why should it benefit anybody else other than the individual and the business they serve? 

I think some people are confusing posts in favour of the higher income tax rate with envy. I can only speak for myself, but it's not that at all, it's simply that I think it's reasonable to ask those with the greatest means to shoulder the greatest 'burden'. I think there's faults in the personal tax system that means moderately high earners get stung by the loss of the personal allowance, higher NICs etc, and that should be corrected, but I still think the principle itself is the correct one.

17 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I think some people are confusing posts in favour of the higher income tax rate with envy. I can only speak for myself, but it's not that at all, it's simply that I think it's reasonable to ask those with the greatest means to shoulder the greatest 'burden'. I think there's faults in the personal tax system that means moderately high earners get stung by the loss of the personal allowance, higher NICs etc, and that should be corrected, but I still think the principle itself is the correct one.

I think that’s a fairly balanced and even view imo and I agree (not so much on shouldering the burden as we shouldn’t have as much of a burden as we have). However there is 100% some jealousy on here in regards to high earners. You only have to see some of the names they’ve been labelled, my personal favourite was one straight out of the 80’s “Spivs” 

On 03/10/2022 at 17:14, Unlucky Alf said:

This was 3 years ago 

DWP is the biggest spending department of government, accounting for nearly a quarter of all planned public spending in 2019-20. The majority of DWP’s spending is on benefits and state pensions, with the total budget sought for 2019-20 amounting to £189,928 million, 3.0% above the final budget for 2018-19.

Universal credit costs less than state pensions. 

BG_mar22_3.webp

31 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

I think that’s a fairly balanced and even view imo and I agree (not so much on shouldering the burden as we shouldn’t have as much of a burden as we have). However there is 100% some jealousy on here in regards to high earners. You only have to see some of the names they’ve been labelled, my personal favourite was one straight out of the 80’s “Spivs” 

How does the use of the word 'Spiv' denote jealousy?

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

How does the use of the word 'Spiv' denote jealousy?

It’s derogatory, it’s stereotyping and it’s come from the pit of the green eyed monster from the left wing mob on here comrade.