The Ukraine War

Day

43 minutes ago, Alph said:

Absolutely! I hope it didn't come across sarcastic. 

There's nowhere i'd rather live than in Europe and in the EU. 

In a sense this is still pertinent to the Ukraine. They obviously wanted to join.
 The EU is flawed,  anything that big is bound to be, it has a bloated  bureaucracy and its own share of corruption, fat cats and pee takers … but its essence,  spirit  and desire to bring things together is, I believe, unequaled in such a large diverse body of nations the world over. I loved being able to say I am European. They are our neighbours and we’ve been through history with them. It is the appreciation of history that lead to its formation 

39 minutes ago, jono said:

In a sense this is still pertinent to the Ukraine. They obviously wanted to join.
 The EU is flawed,  anything that big is bound to be, it has a bloated  bureaucracy and its own share of corruption, fat cats and pee takers … but its essence,  spirit  and desire to bring things together is, I believe, unequaled in such a large diverse body of nations the world over. I loved being able to say I am European. They are our neighbours and we’ve been through history with them. It is the appreciation of history that lead to its formation 

The smiths are my neighbors but I wouldn’t be keen on calling myself a smith 😂

1 hour ago, jono said:

De Gaulle vetoed Britain's attempt to join the EEC on 4 occasions the last being in 1967

Edited by Ram-Alf

5 minutes ago, Alph said:

If I lived in the Maldives I'd have nowhere to dream of being!! 

Have you not heard of the great philosopher Karl Pilkington? Better to live in a cave looking at a palace than live in a palace looking at a cave. 

He s a dopey sod , live in the palace but pull the curtains 🤷🏻‍♂️

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting development which started yesterday is Ukraine entering Russia and occupying areas of Kursk

Sounds like Russia is having trouble dislodging them, due to the fortifications in the area and density of Ukrainian air defence.

Russians are having an absolute meltdown over it. Quite the irony…..Ukraine should call it a special military operation!

Maybe Ukraine should hold a referendum on the region joining them too?

In all seriousness it’ll be interesting to see what develops here

Edited by Ramarena

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Interesting development which started yesterday is Ukraine entering Russia and occupying areas of Kursk

Sounds like Russia is having trouble dislodging them, due to the fortifications in the area and density of Ukrainian air defence.

Russians are having an absolute meltdown over it. Quite the irony…..Ukraine should call it a special military operation!

Is this to do with them getting the F-16's?

1 hour ago, Grumpy Git said:

Is this to do with them getting the F-16's?

Hard to know as Ukraine have been very quiet on this, but I’d probably say not linked and the timing is coincidental.

They’ve received low teens of F-16’s numbers wise, so not enough to do much more than defensive actions at present, that could change as more get delivered through the year.

Theres lots of speculation floating around on this move, claims they’re going for Kursk nuclear power plant, taking and holding the land to have as a wedge in peace talks, etc.

The most realistic I can see is, this is an attempt to widen the frontline significantly and force Russia to move their forces away from areas Ukraine’s defensive positions are under pressure from endless meatwaves.

The numbers of Ukrainian forces that have been spotted in Kursk suggest this a serious effort from them and they may well be setting up to dig in.

Time will tell.

14 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Interesting to see what develops here is a bit of a strange statement, as if we are watching a game of chess or a football manager changing formation mid game rather than being on the precipice of all out world war between nuclear armed blocks🤷🏻‍♂️

As of last night the more reputable mappers had Ukraine taking 350 km2 of Kursk. 

As of now there are reports of further gains with sightings of Ukrainian units 25 km north of Sudzha and 30km from the nuclear power plant, with them trying to cut off the main rail link to Belgorod.

They have also seized a major gas pipeline, with Gasprom issuing a statement that gas will continue to flow despite the loss of control over it.

Yesterday the reports were naming one elite battalion that was involved in the incursion, today there is speculation that up to 8 battalion could be used in this operation. 

Seems this has been quietly planned for some time and is already having an impact on the defensive line with two areas that Ukraine we’re losing ground in Donetsk, have quickly been turned around and some land already regained, as Russian troops are shuffled in response to the border incursion.

Overnight estimates now put the incursion in the 750-1000 km2 area, depending on which mappers you look at. Obviously they can’t be fully up to date as it’s such a fast moving situation and Ukrainian OPSEC has been impressively tight.

Ukraine also launched a night strike on Lipetsk-2 airfield, where they claim to have destroyed a large glide bomb storage facility, they say there is also damage to bombers stationed there, but don’t have enough intel to make claims on the extent of the damage to aircraft currently. 

Taking out a large number of glide bombs is a big win, as it was one of Russia’s main methods attack, allowing them to flatten Ukrainian towns and villages. 

Other news is the destruction of a couple of columns of Russian infantry that was heading to engage with them. Looks like Ukraine has fire control over the major logistics routes in the area.

What isn’t helping Russia, is that in their desperation to look like they are combatting this, they have news teams on the ground reporting on the movements of their forces. This is great info for the Ukrainians to help geolocate Russian movements.

The Wagner guy steamrolled his troops along way into Russia as the Russian army seemed to be clueless in what to do in stopping them.  I think this is a good tactic in as far as bringing the war to home soil and hopefully turning the population towards demanding a ceasefire and negotiation.

7 minutes ago, Boycie said:

The Wagner guy steamrolled his troops along way into Russia as the Russian army seemed to be clueless in what to do in stopping them.  I think this is a good tactic in as far as bringing the war to home soil and hopefully turning the population towards demanding a ceasefire and negotiation.

Absolutely, it also shows that the bulk of Russia’s army is actually in Ukraine (US estimates say around 95% of the entire military). 

They can’t rally any serious numbers of troops of military hardware quickly, to counter Ukraine in their own borders.

Remember the Russians laughing about 3 days to Kyiv????

Well Ukraine cut the Russian attack down to size and forced them to retreat, with its small outdated army back then. 

Russia today can’t even manage to get little old Ukraine out of its territory, it’s hugely damaging for Putin and a massive display of arrogance and ineptitude to think that Ukraine would just sit there and take everything that Russia did to them!

I think another insurgence into a separate area could be pivotal, but i doubt Ukraine has the numbers.  I think if that happened Putin would be threatening the nuke button because the west are allowing their equipment to be used.

It would focus their efforts in border protection and really mess with their moral.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

I think another insurgence into a separate area could be pivotal, but i doubt Ukraine has the numbers.  I think if that happened Putin would be threatening the nuke button because the west are allowing their equipment to be used.

It would focus their efforts in border protection and really mess with their moral.

Any threat of nuclear weapons from Russia is just Sabre rattling, they’ve repeatedly threatened it and always back down when their red line is crossed.

China wouldn’t let them and the US has already told them what will happen if they they consider it.

12 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Any threat of nuclear weapons from Russia is just Sabre rattling, they’ve repeatedly threatened it and always back down when their red line is crossed.

China wouldn’t let them and the US has already told them what will happen if they they consider it.

Oh I’m not saying they’ll be stupid enough to carry it out, but that’s really all they have isn’t it?