6 Nations

Gap tooth ram

Scotland huffed and puffed but were ultimately outclassed. Things might have been a little more even had Hogg not snatched at the pass from Chris Harris but as the commentators said, he appeared to be planning his celebration before he'd caught the ball. 

As for England, well what do you say? This is not a strong Welsh side, though of course that does not always matter in this fixture. The shining lights were Smith and Randall in the 9 / 10 axis and having been starved of attacking threat in midfield and with the electric Raffy Quirke waiting in the wings, that issue does at least seem to be being addressed.

Dombrandt was by far the best of the forwards, though Genge was occasionally destructive in the loose and Lawes put in his typical honest and abrasive shift, but much like my beloved Rams, we still look toothless and too often lacking in any discernible structure or game plan. The players don't really seem to know what the are meant to be doing in certain situations and that is 100% the responsibility of the coach. Given the creative flare of the Japan side that defeated the mighty Saffas, it's scarcely credible that Jones has failed to even approach that level of performance with England given the length of his tenure, save for a strong RWC which saddled us with him until 2023. Sadly I don't hold much hope for our chances when that tournament rolls around again unless he is prepared to give more of the flare players at his disposal game time, but the chances of that seem slim to none at all.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

That was lovely

Was a great Test Match. The French have been a class apart this tournament and were worthy winners but we'll see if they are the all-conquering unit the media would have us believe. They will go to RWC 2023 at one of the favourites but far stiffer tasks will await them there. 

As for the 6N, Ireland seemed to confirm yet another false dawn for the Scots, whilst the Welsh have engaged reverse gear and were beaten on merit. It's very odd as they could, and probably should have beaten the French, though like England, their coach appears to have no idea as to what his strongest 15 is.  

England have shown a little more fight in recent matches but are still light years off the form they showed at the RWC 2019. I have a hunch they'll be a rather different proposition next time they roll into Paris though and looking at the pools, an England vs France game to secure a berth in the final seems a distinct possibility. Le Crunch #2 anybody? Will Jones pick a team to win though, or will his arrogance continue to dictate that he does the opposite of what everyone thinks he should, just for the sake of it? I'll not hold my breath on that score.

45 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Was a great Test Match. The French have been a class apart this tournament and were worthy winners but we'll see if they are the all-conquering unit the media would have us believe. They will go to RWC 2023 at one of the favourites but far stiffer tasks will await them there. 

As for the 6N, Ireland seemed to confirm yet another false dawn for the Scots, whilst the Welsh have engaged reverse gear and were beaten on merit. It's very odd as they could, and probably should have beaten the French, though like England, their coach appears to have no idea as to what his strongest 15 is.  

England have shown a little more fight in recent matches but are still light years off the form they showed at the RWC 2019. I have a hunch they'll be a rather different proposition next time they roll into Paris though and looking at the pools, an England vs France game to secure a berth in the final seems a distinct possibility. Le Crunch #2 anybody? Will Jones pick a team to win though, or will his arrogance continue to dictate that he does the opposite of what everyone thinks he should, just for the sake of it? I'll not hold my breath on that score.

Obviously delighted to win the grand chelem but RWC with the south hemisphere teams  thrown in. It is a whole different ball game. I am not convinced any of the Europeans team can do it.

From a Scots point of view the Wales game was a kick in the guts and brought back all the previous insecurities that was carried into the next 3 games. 

There seems to be a power struggle between the senior players and Townsend, cumulating in Hogg / Russell and Price breaking covid curfews and going out on the lash in Edinburgh last Saturday night. 

France and Ireland are a joy to watch in full flow.

England should be doing much better with the players at their disposal. Easy for me to say, but I'm surprised there isnt a louder call for Jones to go.  To be fair, they've show a lot of heart in the last 2 games. 

Wales are in transition, and will be up and down for a few years. 

I thought Italy played well this year. They gave Scotland and Wales a game. 

Italy bringing some youth through and tbf seem to have a more structured pathway than most. 

England completely underwhelming again. France and Ireland showed how clever attacking play should work. 

Scotland and Wales flattered to deceive. 

Eddie seems to have not clue one. Obsolete methods? Maybe. Certainly made a complete cods of rebuilding after wc 2019. Players come and go (ou est Willie Heinz par example). Some players seem ever present for reasons nobody can fathom. 

I fear the rfu, like the fa, has sold out the soul of the game for profit. And the pride of the national team is but one casualty. 

34 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Italy bringing some youth through and tbf seem to have a more structured pathway than most. 

England completely underwhelming again. France and Ireland showed how clever attacking play should work. 

Scotland and Wales flattered to deceive. 

Eddie seems to have not clue one. Obsolete methods? Maybe. Certainly made a complete cods of rebuilding after wc 2019. Players come and go (ou est Willie Heinz par example). Some players seem ever present for reasons nobody can fathom. 

I fear the rfu, like the fa, has sold out the soul of the game for profit. And the pride of the national team is but one casualty. 

Ben_Youngs.jpg.d2f6fc5d7349dda6310666781f994a5a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...