6 Nations

Gap tooth ram

2 hours ago, sage said:

Cowan-Dickie has just cost England the game. 

Yup, the game plan for England wasn’t perfection but it was effective until that point.

Possession was theirs, territory was theirs, a score in front against a resurgent Scotland at Murrayfield, that one piece of play cost them. So obvious now, that he would have been better letting them score if needs be, there was no guarantee of a conversion out wide to start with. As for the referee, sure he needs chastising but rugby has long had the mentality, you don’t argue with the referee, you get on with the game. Cowan-Dickie just had a brain fart under pressure I’m afraid.

Got tickets for the England v Wales game, which could now define their 6 nations. Hopefully a comfortable win against Italy, with Wales playing Scotland next, a win would boost them after a hiding to nothing in Dublin, defeat will further deflate them. Scotland should be relishing taking on Wales next game.

Cant wait for it now.

1 minute ago, CWC1983 said:

????????

This Calcutta Cup is getting tiresome holding it up year after year.......?

Ah, I love the gloating game! My go...

First off, the last time you won two in a row was 40 feckin years ago so you need to get to the gym sharpish if you poor ickle arms are growing weary as it's most likely a serious case of disuse atrophy ? Perhaps while you're hanging about over the next 40 years yous lot could avoid a recurrence of this pesky syndrome by waving around a couple of house bricks to simulate the required effort? ?

We had a few starters missing too: Manu Tuilagi, Owen Farrell, the skipper Courtney Lawes, Johnny Hill, Jonny May, Maku Vunipola, Billy Vunipola all out and Joe Marler and Joe Marchant returning having not trained with the squad due to Covid. You guys looked quite well though, although some of us are confused as to why some of your players were wearing orange. ?

But these are just excuses right? Let's be gracious, not point out the game was gifted to you and instead acknowledge the number of occasions where Scotland have beaten England and gone on to win the 6 Nations, which is...

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Now, what were you saying was tiresome again? Sorry, but I've completely forgotten ?

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Ah, I love the gloating game! My go...

First off, the last time you won two in a row was 40 feckin years ago so you need to get to the gym sharpish if you poor ickle arms are growing weary as it's most likely a serious case of disuse atrophy ? Perhaps while you're hanging about over the next 40 years yous lot could avoid a recurrence of this pesky syndrome by waving around a couple of house bricks to simulate the required effort? ?

We had a few starters missing too: Manu Tuilagi, Owen Farrell, the skipper Courtney Lawes, Johnny Hill, Jonny May, Maku Vunipola, Billy Vunipola all out and Joe Marler and Joe Marchant returning having not trained with the squad due to Covid. You guys looked quite well though, although some of us are confused as to why some of your players were wearing orange. ?

But these are just excuses right? Let's be gracious, not point out the game was gifted to you and instead acknowledge the number of occasions where Scotland have beaten England and gone on to win the 6 Nations, which is...

giphy.gifgiphy.gifgiphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Now, what were you saying was tiresome again? Sorry, but I've completely forgotten 

Aye. To think again….

12 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

England the architects of their own downfall but that was one of the worst refereeing performances I've ever seen in international rugby. Absolutely gutless.

In any instance, if I never see Ben Youngs in an England shirt again it'll be too soon. When you you have 9's like Randall and Quirke but you insist on playing Mr Two-Step, you've really let your ego overrule common sense. Jones' rugby style is even more one-dimensional than Warrenball and we'll win nothing until he's gone. He'll of course talk about the massive injury list but 10-man, kick-chase rugby has had its day. Hooking Smith off with 20 to go just when he was starting to boss the game really shows how stubborn Jones is, not that he'll see it that way of course.

It’s how the last World Cup was won. Kicking with no purpose is pointless but kicking with purpose and a great chase is a valid tactic to get possession in the opponents half/22 and then let the backs go wild. Especially with the new 50/22 kick rule where defenders under pressure can’t just shepherd the ball out they have to play it.

problem is we are not as good or disciplined as the spring boks at doing it because we stopped doing it at all for so long.

wish we had a stand off like Rob Andrew right now.

56 minutes ago, davenportram said:

It’s how the last World Cup was won. Kicking with no purpose is pointless but kicking with purpose and a great chase is a valid tactic to get possession in the opponents half/22 and then let the backs go wild. Especially with the new 50/22 kick rule where defenders under pressure can’t just shepherd the ball out they have to play it.

problem is we are not as good or disciplined as the spring boks at doing it because we stopped doing it at all for so long.

wish we had a stand off like Rob Andrew right now.

But that's only half true. We won in 2003 because we had one of the most dominant packs the game had ever seen, because we had Johnny who seemed to never miss and because we had an English Cheslin Kolbe in Jason Robinson. You combine a dominant pack, a bullet-poof set piece and gamebreakers like Robinson and Wilkinson and you're gonna win games. Just before that WC we put 63 points of the Saffas and we didn't do that via kick chase.

As it is, Jones is obsessed with playing in the right areas but consider how he beat the Boks with Japan; barely a kick from hand, Also, while I've taken the mick out of the Scots, they're actually a very good team and also have one of the most dynamic FBs in the game in Hogg whom, his attacking prowess aside, has a fookin siege gun boot. We kick 40, he kicks 60, who's gonna win that battle? By all means kick to space, but you have to mix it up. If a team knows we're going to kick every time until we hit the final third, it's really not that hard to defend against. Scotland won yesterday because of numerous factors but a pretty important one was that they were braver than us with ball in hand. We made our line-breaks for sure, but we didn't appear to know what to do when we did. Over-coaching, pure and simple. Folk are blaming Cowan Dickie but WTF was he doing out wide instead of a winger or preferably Stewart. Finn Russel saw the mis-match and exploited it ruthlessly but that wasn't a set move, that was instinct and rapid thinking. That's what we need more of. 

Anyway, I'll stop sulking now. It could be worse - we could be Wales. Best of luck to the Scottish moving forwards. I really like the way they try to play the game and it'd be grand to see them challenge this season. As it is though, I can't see beyond the French, even with Ireland in prime form. To my way of thinking, the only 6N team that can beat the French right now is the French themselves. Meanwhile, the wait goes on for England ?

Edited by 86 Hair Islands
typos

Said from the off that I can't see past France and round 2 yielded nothing to change my mind. Ireland are a talented side but I think the scoreline in Paris flattered them a little. Wales and Scotland will sit mid-pack with England. The Italians, while showing bundles of heart and at least trying to play good rugby, still look totally over-faced in this tournament.

As regards Italy, I've travelled several times to watch games in the Stadio Olimpico and it's a wonderful place to watch rugby that always seems to offer Spring-like conditions, but it's hard to see what, other than an always enjoyable trip to the Eternal City, their inclusion really brings to the 6N. It saddens me to see the Italian players giving their absolute all, only to get rolled over every match. It just feels contrary to the spirit of the game. 

On this note, the Saffa rugby authorities remain bullish about replacing Italy, with Coetzee talking about it as if it's a done deal, but the 6N Chief exec Ben Morel says otherwise. I'm not sure about this proposed 'global tournament either; surely that merely undermines the RWC? Perhaps a two-tier tournament would create better match-ups for the lower ranked sides and still satisfy the bean-counters?

Said from the off that I can't see past France and round 2 yielded nothing to change my mind. Ireland are a talented side but I think the scoreline in Paris flattered them a little. Wales and Scotland will sit mid-pack with England. The Italians, while showing bundles of heart and at least trying to play good rugby, still look totally over-faced in this tournament.

As regards Italy, I've travelled several times to watch games in the Stadio Olimpico and it's a wonderful place to watch rugby that always seems to offer Spring-like conditions, but it's hard to see what, other than an always enjoyable trip to the Eternal City, their inclusion really brings to the 6N. It saddens me to see the Italian players giving their absolute all, only to get rolled over every match. It just feels contrary to the spirit of the game. 

On this note, the Saffa rugby authorities remain bullish about replacing Italy, with Coetzee talking about it as if it's a done deal, but the 6N Chief exec Ben Morel says otherwise. I'm not sure about this proposed 'global tournament either; surely that merely undermines the RWC? Perhaps a two-tier tournament would create better match-ups for the lower ranked sides and still satisfy the bean-counters?

It's a strange one, IRB want the italian gram to grow and being in the 6 nations is supposed to help that, but playing more realistically matched teams would give a better event for fans.

11 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's a strange one, IRB want the italian gram to grow and being in the 6 nations is supposed to help that, but playing more realistically matched teams would give a better event for fans.

Been over 20 years now though so I don't see it ever happening. Ironically, I'm pretty sure they beat Scotland (who were the reigning champs at the time) in their first ever game, but that really was as good as it ever got, or ever will get. The win the odd game every few years and folk herald it as a corner turned, but it's always a false dawn and we all know why.

Italian sporting interest is all about football, always has been and always will be. Unless you get the majority of Italian schools playing a full term of rugby as part of the annual sports roster, there'll be no quantum leap forward and a quantum leap is required just for them to challenge. I sound like I'm down rubbishing them, but I'm really not as I really do admire the heart they show, but I just don't see where their game is going. Losing every game is not going to raise the profile of rugby in Italy, after all. 

Frankly, it's all very well the IRB saying they are doing it for the Italian's benefit, but that's pure BS and it really annoys me to hear them trot out that line every year. It's simply another five 6N games with which to fill coffers and if they think they're fooling anyone, then they're only fooling themselves.

Been over 20 years now though so I don't see it ever happening. Ironically, I'm pretty sure they beat Scotland (who were the reigning champs at the time) in their first ever game, but that really was as good as it ever got, or ever will get. The win the odd game every few years and folk herald it as a corner turned, but it's always a false dawn and we all know why.

Italian sporting interest is all about football, always has been and always will be. Unless you get the majority of Italian schools playing a full term of rugby as part of the annual sports roster, there'll be no quantum leap forward and a quantum leap is required just for them to challenge. I sound like I'm down rubbishing them, but I'm really not as I really do admire the heart they show, but I just don't see where their game is going. Losing every game is not going to raise the profile of rugby in Italy, after all. 

Frankly, it's all very well the IRB saying they are doing it for the Italian's benefit, but that's pure BS and it really annoys me to hear them trot out that line every year. It's simply another five 6N games with which to fill coffers and if they think they're fooling anyone, then they're only fooling themselves.

I seem to remember a few years back, their was talk of inviting a 6th placed team in the tournament based on European ranking and Georgia were favourites to take over from Italy.  Nothing ever came off it though to my knowledge.

On 13/02/2022 at 23:12, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I seem to remember a few years back, their was talk of inviting a 6th placed team in the tournament based on European ranking and Georgia were favourites to take over from Italy.  Nothing ever came off it though to my knowledge.

Probably because they would be Italy mk2. Whipping boys for many a year, then you would find the Italians complaining of being hard done by. They won’t get rid of Italy, they not only want the 5 extra games during six nations, there are the top 2 sides in European competitions making up numbers. They are really desperate for Italian rugby to make a meaningful contribution to the game, purely out of necessity and greed; the curse of modern day professional sport.

2 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

Big blow for us that Watson is out with covid.

I reckon you'll win by 2 tries. 

I afraid I think you're right.

Scotland are a good side and "on their day" can give anyone a competitive game, but I get the feeling our day was against England and the rest of the 6 nations is going to Piter out a bit disappointingly.