F1 2022

RadioactiveWaste

13 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I like Lando, funny guy and seriously talented, definitely in the top tier of the current F1 crop.

I think I'll switch to Team L4ndo when Alonso retires, who is still the GOAT imho.

I feel like people have spent more time giving excuses for Danny Ric because he's a nice fella rather than talk about how Norris is just consistently much better.

I think we all want much closer racing than this season though. It's not really been in doubt for a long while has it. 

I do feel for Verstappen having won 2 titles and people want to talk about other stuff. Like I said, not a big fan of him but he's been a demon and deserves to be able to enjoy that without being asked about stuff he can't control

For my two cents, I don't really get the Verstappen haters - I had issues with some of his driving last season (and seasons before - I remember Seb's "torpedoed by the young Dutchman" a few years ago) but he's really not that much different to a lot of drivers, they all have hissy fits over the radio.

I hated Michael Schumacher for years, but, whilst I'll never really love him, I have every respect for his achievements - I guess I can see the Lewis haters in a similar kind of way.

I've a lot of time for Seb, especially after he left red bull (he was quite annoying when he drove for Horner) and grumpy Alonso (the bloke has a talent for falling out) and Perez (just as a fighty midfielder who got the odd notable result for force India then got a shot at a big team) and yeah, I'll fanboi Lewis, because he's been consistently brilliant for 15 years. But they're all the generation at the end of their careers. 

Of the new generation, I'd say Charles Leclerc is my favourite, a talent amongst the best but seems far more human than most.

I also quite like Ocon because he seems to be a bit of an outsider and a bit underrated.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Need to wait for the report, if we ever get it.

It's the first year and there have been 3 procedural issues already so clearly some submission elements are open to interpretation and clarification.

I note the rabid fanboiism on here with some posters.

I wonder, if the breach was Mercs, how different some of these posts would be. A lot I would think, and far more forgiving.

Yeah, you've made yourself pretty clear. 

Need to wait for the report, if we ever get it.

It's the first year and there have been 3 procedural issues already so clearly some submission elements are open to interpretation and clarification.

I note the rabid fanboiism on here with some posters.

I wonder, if the breach was Mercs, how different some of these posts would be. A lot I would think, and far more forgiving.

Submitting your accounts late is completely different to spending over the limit. Stop trying to equate those two things. Procedural breeches are generally down to a simple error. Only one team breeched the cap. 

How is whataboutism a good defense? It wasn't Mercedes. It's a redundant point. 

Redbull cheated and all you want to talk about is Mercedes. You're a rabid hater. 

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He probably said that or something like it, doubt it'll have any baring on the FIA's decision.

In the court of social media however...

It won't make any difference, but it shows Horner in his true light - bigger issue is that the FIA's head of financial regulations is apparently former Toro Rosso CFO Federico Lodi....

1 minute ago, Gaspode said:

It won't make any difference, but it shows Horner in his true light - bigger issue is that the FIA's head of financial regulations is apparently former Toro Rosso CFO Federico Lodi....

Given there's also been leaks about the findings of what was supposed to be highly confidential financial information the FIA are rapidly losing any confidence anyone had in the process.

You would hope the FIA did a conflict of interest check on Lodi, having formerly worked for an F1 team shouldn't necessarily be a disqualifier but you'd hope any conflict would be found/declared if there was.

I'm still amused Williams were also none compliant, I mean, they'd love to have that much money!

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Given there's also been leaks about the findings of what was supposed to be highly confidential financial information the FIA are rapidly losing any confidence anyone had in the process.

You would hope the FIA did a conflict of interest check on Lodi, having formerly worked for an F1 team shouldn't necessarily be a disqualifier but you'd hope any conflict would be found/declared if there was.

I'm still amused Williams were also none compliant, I mean, they'd love to have that much money!

I think working for the sister company of the team that breached the cap should have some bearing on whether he's fit to play any part in the whole fiasco. Brawn theatened teams that they would lose Championships if they breached yet it seeems that Red Bull are free to do whatever they choose - I wonder why?

They apparently are claiming that the breach was only due to them overspending on catering - conveniently ignoring the fact that the total spend for the year is the key part and how that's split up is irrelevant - they've also alledgedly been paying engineers as consultants rather than as employees so they can keep them off the books.....

The whole thing stinks - at a time when the FIA needed to be squeaky clean following the 2021 championship fix....the sport's dead unless they get a grip..

Does Lodi still have an interest in Alpha Tauri or the red bull organisation? That clearly would be a conflict of interest, but if he's left and doesn't have any ongoing affiliation?

And they were found to have breeched - surely a more concerning turn of events would've been a former financial head of torro rosso waves through RBR's submission?

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yeah, you've made yourself pretty clear. 

Did I? you and @Andicis going to get a room?

And no, I don't agree that RBR have cheated. 

Cheating implies a deliberate attempt to gain an unfair advantage outside of the rules set. This is not deliberate clearly. If it was, I would be agreeing with you to throw RBR out of the championship.

fwiw - Verstappen is brilliant, Lewis is brilliant, RBR like a whinge, Merc like a whinge.  TeamLH fanboys suck, Team Verstappen fanboys suck.

Calling for points deductions or giving Lewis last years title are not consistent with the way F1 operates for minor breaches of new rules.

A fine, a rule clarification and on we go.

14 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

And no, I don't agree that RBR have cheated. 

Cheating implies a deliberate attempt to gain an unfair advantage outside of the rules set. This is not deliberate clearly. If it was, I would be agreeing with you to throw RBR out of the championship.

fwiw - Verstappen is brilliant, Lewis is brilliant, RBR like a whinge, Merc like a whinge.  TeamLH fanboys suck, Team Verstappen fanboys suck.

Calling for points deductions or giving Lewis last years title are not consistent with the way F1 operates for minor breaches of new rules.

A fine, a rule clarification and on we go.

In what way can you claim it wasn't cheating or wasn't deliberate? 9/10 teams managed to keep below the cap, and in a championship decided by a very dubious margin anyway, that made the difference. It's cheating. 

Provide one shred of evidence for it being an accidental breach of rules. 

It isn't a minor breach of rules. It's a huge moment. For what it's worth, they shouldn't decide the past titles anymore. Leave them with the asterisk. RBR should have a reduced development budget for next year. 

Worth remembering:

"Minor" breech is up to something like £5million.

Red Bull Racing have been found to have breeched. They've adopted a "done nothing wrong" stance, but the finding is that they have been in breech, we're waiting on what sanctions are issued.

It's possible RBR have a different interpretation that the FIA disagree with, but like when found in technical breech of regulations, it's the FIAs interpretation that matters.

"Good faith" and "spirit of the rules" aren't things in F1.

At the end of the season, Mercedes had a faster car than red bull (yes, the argument is that has hampered the current mercedes car).

------------------------------------------

Without knowing the details (and despite now being an accountancy expert after following DCFC for the last two years), my take is: 

Leave last year's drivers championship as is.

Delete constructors points (was applied to McLaren in 2007)

As a consequence of losing constructors points, they finish 10ty in last year's constructors championship - and receive the payment that comes with it, bumps up 8 teams prize money.

Suspended: future reduction of cost cap, additional restrictions on wind tunnel etc.

Another comment that reveals a deal more then it was intended to.

Care to point out where I've suggested any of this? 

Another cracking post otherwise though matey. Bravo.

1 minute ago, I am Ram said:

I'm team Lando myself,  i guess i prefer Merc, than whinger spice, he boils my p#$$. I was a massive fan of Lewis and he is the goat, but when he dumped Nicole. Hell no !!!!!!! ❤️

I bet he saw that annoying yoghurt advert when she gets some on her nose.

4 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I bet he saw that annoying yoghurt advert when she gets some on her nose.

I didn't understand it Alpha at he time, why Lewis ?. Worst decision in F1, well until Red Bull got a little slap on the wrist for a 7.25m prawn sandwich.